X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just bought a Dell Mini with Ubuntu

Originally posted by askrieger
    The problem is that most of these "tech support" people know nothing about the products they are supporting. They have a script that lists a set of initial questions, then branches depending on the answers. However, if the caller deviates from the script in any way these support people can only respond by referring the caller to a higher level "expert", with another 45 minute wait on hold.
    A lot of companies will fire a Tier 1 technician for deviating from the script - even if they do know the correct answer and in some third world countries there are hundreds or thousands of people waiting to take your job.
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

Re: Just bought a Dell Mini (Vostro A90) with Ubuntu

Speaking of nice netbooks, my daughter showed me her new Acer Aspire One yesterday -- she got the model with the 10.1" display, and paid about $325 USD with the carrying case. Wow, is that a nice little system! Windows XP runs reasonably well on it -- it would fly with Linux.

Over a year ago, I bought an Eee PC 701, for about the same price. It works great -- I take it on trips. I even set up a VMware VM (Win XP) on a 16G SDHC card that I can mount and use to access a Windows-only network that I sometimes have to log into remotely. But that 7.5" keyboard is just too frickin small for my hands -- I cannot type productively on it. I spend more time fixing typos that I do writing anything. So I have relegated the usefulness of the Eee PC to 'net browsing only.

That Acer Aspire One's 10" keyboard is far better for me -- I'm sorely tempted to pop for one, but I think I'll hold off and see what the Christmas sales bring in the way of deals.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        That Acer Aspire One's 10" keyboard is far better for me -- I'm sorely tempted to pop for one, but I think I'll hold off and see what the Christmas sales bring in the way of deals.
        I know many people agree on that. I personally had no issues with the size of the kb in the 701, though I had many issues with its quality (i am on the third one now, and already dead; I understand it could be a mobo issue or something else)

The huge difference for me and all the family, on the Mini 9, is the much larger screen and the higher resolution (1024x600). We all use it to remote to the main (3 core phenom) desktop with nomachine nx, as a thin client, to check email (if someone else is on the desktop).

The Mini 10v looks even better, but at a 50% to 80% higher price tag, not worthwhile IMHO. I'll rather buy another refurb in a year or two, at the same ultra-low price!

Comment

Re: Just bought a Dell Mini with Ubuntu

Originally posted by wizard10000
          So - you outsource your helpdesk and cut costs in half but end up with a tech whose native language is different from that of the customer.
          I have to say, calling Dell for this purchase has been a bit chaotic, but over this weekend I got support via chat (for a mishap that was actually _my_ fault), and it was a pleasure. I will definitely by more Dell Linux machines.

Comment

I'm pleased to hear that your Dell experience worked out better than mine.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
              I'm pleased to hear that your Dell experience worked out better than mine.
              But let me stress it really works a LOT better with the online chat support. I spent a good half hour on the phone trying to get a tracking number for my order (which was never posted online).

Comment

Working...
              X