This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just bought a Dell Mini with Ubuntu

lmilano: There are dozens millions of Linux users, we need to make ourselves visible
    Following lmilano's advice is probably a good first step. However, most people have never even heard of ANY operating system - even if they have a computer. If they know the name Linux they typically think that it is a matter of being a fan of one thing or the other - perhaps like choosing Coke or Pepsi. The real problem to me is how to teach people about things like open source and ethics. Why would anybody care about those things in their daily life? That is the question - and the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul
      The real problem to me is how to teach people about things like open source and ethics. Why would anybody care about those things in their daily life? That is the question - and the problem.
      I agree, that is a bigger question and a bigger problem. This is the root of the differences between Linus Torvald and Richard Stallman. At the end of the day both care about ethics, but RMS is a lot more focused on that. When _I_ talk to people about "Linux" I emphasize the openness, the lack of a vendor lock-in, and if the conversation gets a little longer I say that I consider the open source movement a big success for Human Kind: a mostly altruist, cooperative, and mostly volunteer effort by thousands of talented people all over the world to allow you to use your computer with total freedom.

I tend to say "Open Source" and not "Free Software" because most of these conversations go in English, and it is to annoying to make the point it is Free as in Freedom. I think the GNU Project chose a bad name to coin the movement I also tend to avoid portraying "Linux" as "Cheap". And I stop dry anyone calling it "Freeware" :P

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
        I think the GNU Project chose a bad name to coin the movement
        I disagree. (because I'm 'free' to do so! )
        Free software is a matter of the users' freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve the software. More precisely, it refers to four kinds of freedom, for the users of the software:
        • The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
        • The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
        • The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor (freedom 2).
        • The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements to the public, so that the whole community benefits (freedom 3). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
        Main Entry: 1free
        Pronunciation: \ˈfrē\
        Function: adjective
        Inflected Form(s): fre·er; fre·est
        Etymology: Middle English, from Old English frēo; akin to Old High German frī free, Welsh rhydd, Sanskrit priya own, dear
        Date: before 12th century
        1 a : having the legal and political rights of a citizen b : enjoying civil and political liberty <free citizens> c : enjoying political independence or freedom from outside domination d : enjoying personal freedom : not subject to the control or domination of another
        2 a : not determined by anything beyond its own nature or being : choosing or capable of choosing for itself b : determined by the choice of the actor or performer <free actions> c : made, done, or given voluntarily or spontaneously
        3 a : relieved from or lacking something and especially something unpleasant or burdensome <free from pain> <a speech free of political rhetoric> —often used in combination <error-free> b : not bound, confined, or detained by force
        4 a : having no trade restrictions b : not subject to government regulation c of foreign exchange : not subject to restriction or official control
        5 a : having no obligations (as to work) or commitments <I'll be free this evening> b : not taken up with commitments or obligations <a free evening>
        6 : having a scope not restricted by qualification <a free variable>
        7 a : not obstructed, restricted, or impeded <free to leave> b : not being used or occupied <waved with his free hand> c : not hampered or restricted in its normal operation
        8 a : not fastened <the free end of the rope> b : not confined to a particular position or place <in twelve-tone music, no note is wholly free for it must hold its place in the series — J. L. Stewart> c : capable of moving or turning in any direction <a free particle> d : performed without apparatus <free tumbling> e : done with artificial aids (as pitons) used only for protection against falling and not for support <a free climb>
        9 a : not parsimonious <free spending> b : outspoken c : availing oneself of something without stint d : frank, open e : overly familiar or forward in action or attitude f : licentious 10 : not costing or charging anything 11 a (1) : not united with, attached to, combined with, or mixed with something else : separate <free ores> <a free surface of a bodily part> (2) : freestanding <a free column> b : chemically uncombined <free oxygen> <free acids> c : not permanently attached but able to move about <a free electron in a metal> d : capable of being used alone as a meaningful linguistic form <the word hats is a free form> — compare 5bound 7 7 12 a : not literal or exact <free translation> b : not restricted by or conforming to conventional forms <free skating> 13 : favorable —used of a wind blowing from a direction more than six points from dead ahead 14 : not allowing slavery 15 : open to all comers
        — free·ness \-nəs\ noun
        — for free : without charge
        synonyms free, independent, sovereign, autonomous mean not subject to the rule or control of another. free stresses the complete absence of external rule and the full right to make all of one's own decisions <you're free to do as you like>. independent implies a standing alone; applied to a state it implies lack of connection with any other having power to interfere with its citizens, laws, or policies <the colony's struggle to become independent>. sovereign stresses the absence of a superior power and implies supremacy within a thing's own domain or sphere <separate and sovereign armed services>. autonomous stresses independence in matters pertaining to self-government <in this denomination each congregation is regarded as autonomous>.
        Main Entry: free·dom
        Pronunciation: \ˈfrē-dəm\
        Function: noun
        Date: before 12th century
        1 : the quality or state of being free: as a : the absence of necessity, coercion, or constraint in choice or action b : liberation from slavery or restraint or from the power of another : independence c : the quality or state of being exempt or released usually from something onerous <freedom from care> d : ease, facility <spoke the language with freedom> e : the quality of being frank, open, or outspoken <answered with freedom> f : improper familiarity g : boldness of conception or execution h : unrestricted use <gave him the freedom of their home>
        2 a : a political right b : franchise, privilege
        synonyms freedom, liberty, license mean the power or condition of acting without compulsion. freedom has a broad range of application from total absence of restraint to merely a sense of not being unduly hampered or frustrated <freedom of the press>. liberty suggests release from former restraint or compulsion <the released prisoner had difficulty adjusting to his new liberty>. license implies freedom specially granted or conceded and may connote an abuse of freedom <freedom without responsibility may degenerate into license>.
        GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
        Version 3, 29 June 2007
        Copyright © 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc. <http://fsf.org/>
        Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies of this license document, but changing it is not allowed.

Preamble

The GNU General Public License is a free, copyleft license for software and other kinds of works.

The licenses for most software and other practical works are designed to take away your freedom to share and change the works. By contrast, the GNU General Public License is intended to guarantee your freedom to share and change all versions of a program--to make sure it remains free software for all its users. We, the Free Software Foundation, use the GNU General Public License for most of our software; it applies also to any other work released this way by its authors. You can apply it to your programs, too.

When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not price. Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for them if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it if you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it in new free programs, and that you know you can do these things.

To protect your rights, we need to prevent others from denying you these rights or asking you to surrender the rights. Therefore, you have certain responsibilities if you distribute copies of the software, or if you modify it: responsibilities to respect the freedom of others.

For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether gratis or for a fee, you must pass on to the recipients the same freedoms that you received. You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the source code. And you must show them these terms so they know their rights.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I agree with lmilano.

Snowhog, you had to use ~1300 words to explain this application of the word "free" -- that's the problem. A conceptual message needs to "fit on a bumper sticker" to grab the mind of the reader. Maybe GNU/Linux is really too complex, but I'm thinking Patrick Henry could have come up with it in 10 words or less.

Just my opinion.

Comment

How about "Free as in speech, not as in beer!"? Although (*)buntu is also free as in beer.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
              "fit on a bumper sticker" ... 10 words or less.
              Linux - Freedom to Be

Linux - Software set free

Linux - I took the 'red' pill (many probably wouldn't get this one )

Linux - Discover the Possibilities

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog

Linux - Software and People set free
                There you go!

Comment

Yeah, dibl got that right, my point is not that the this is technically a bad name, just not straightforward. And, as Ole was saying, most people don't care anyway, so you are already in an uphill battle. But please don't get me wrong, I love the FSF!

Oh well, thanks all for helping me kill some time, LOL, the netbook is apparently on its way to me (the online status has been "Shipped" for the past three days, but all I can see in lieu of a tracking number is "Data Temporarily Unavailable " in the order status page).

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                    What really makes it bad is when that IS your PAID support! >
                    Apparently, you just aren't paying enough.
                    I don't know how one can avoiding "paying enough", since they set their own prices. My son, the Oracle admin, says he has to be careful about how he installs new Oracle servers because they (used to?) license their Oracle db at $28,000 per CPU at the Enterprise level, which is supposed to include even visitations from Oracle engineers to solve "knotty" problems. However, he has posted problem tickets on the paid support web page and the same problem on open Oracle forums and found that the answers on the open forum were quicker and more helpful than the return he gets from tickets.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

found that the answers on the open forum were quicker and more helpful than the return he gets from tickets.
                      Which is the essence of Stallman's insight! A community of concerned and knowledgeable users will always provide a variety of answers at least some of which wil be more complete and accurate (for a variety of reasons) than the answers provided by someone whose interests may not coincide with those of the users.

If I recall correctly, the free software movement arose because Stallman could not get access to the kluged driver software for a DEC printer. We're still here, but DEC is long gone.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
                        We're still here, but DEC is long gone.

"A community of concerned and knowledgeable users will always provide a variety of answers at least some of which wil be more complete and accurate..."

And even if the answers aren't spot-on, they often cause you to see or think about something you hadn't concidered before, leading you in another direction. This new direction often takes you to the solution you were looking for.

An aquired skill, and one that will serve you well, is knowing what to ask, and how to ask it.

Comment

lol
                          askrieger: We're still here, but DEC is long gone.
                          Unfortunatly there were more "DEC's" to come. To me it comes down to cooperative vs competetive and one will never win over the other - we will always have both. It is unfortunate that the current political environment favours getting ahead at the expense of others. Still, it warms my heart to see so many people in the open source world who actually have some concern for other people's freedom.

Comment

Well, my lil' Vostro A90 arrived yesterday!

It is a nice little critter, pretty light. It looks slick, especially when closed. When you open it, it is clear at a glance that it's a cheaper Dell. Fast boot, slow writes to the ssd, excellent 1024x600 display, decent speakers, nice keyboard, decent trackpad. All hotkeys work, which is nice. The default Gnome/Ubuntu is not my cup of tea though, it looks a bit outdated as compared with KDE. I'll install kubuntu-desktop and see. It's still running 8.04 plus 600 mb of updates. I'll switch it completely to 9.10 if the display Intel graphics issues are gone and the hotkeys work (I'll test a live CD).

I'll put my first impressions in the original post, and maybe write a more comprehensive post if I get the time, or do anything meaningful, like running Kubuntu.

It is amazing what you can buy these days for just north of 200USD!

Cheers!

Comment

Re: Just bought a Dell Mini (Vostro A90) with Ubuntu

Another update: I installed kubuntu-desktop, left gdm as the default window manager, logged out, logged in as a KDE session and got myself a Kubuntu machine.

Now I'll need to remove some of the gnome stuff whenever I have a little time, but that's easy. Just remove the big ones (totem player, evolution, whatever name for the file manager, metacity, etc, and then run gtkorphan to clean up the orphaned libs.

Comment

I believe that if they could, PC manufactures would more than happily dump any form of customer support.
                                Sure they would. I've worked in end user support for lotsa years and currently head up that department for a 3,000 user federal agency.

Support services don't generate income. If you figure the average helpdesk call costs $25 (for US-based enterprise helpdesks that's reasonably accurate) you can see where it doesn't take more than one or two calls to the helpdesk to erase the profit made on that particular copy of a software package - anything more than that and they lose money on the sale.

So - you outsource your helpdesk and cut costs in half but end up with a tech whose native language is different from that of the customer.
                                we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                                -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
                                X