X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just bought a Dell Mini (Vostro A90) with Ubuntu

Hi

I finally pulled the trigger for a new netbook. I wanted something inexpensive enough that it wouldn't hurt to much if the kids break it into pieces. So, I picked up a refurb with minimum specs (8Gb SSD, 8.9 inch display, 4 Cell battery, 1024x600). All for $209. My little way of saying thank you to Dell for supporting Linux, and maybe encourage them to support it a bit more ...

Can't wait to get my hands on it!
    Cheers!

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Oct. 1st

If you use the default Ubuntu 8.04, and your battery is not charging. This is a known bug in the aircraft application. Go to System->Airport Mode and disable it. Believe it or not, when enabled, it doesn't allow the battery to be charged.

UPDATE: Sep. 23.

Well, my lil' Vostro A90 arrived yesterday!
    • Shipping was next day. I never got a tracking number online, I needed to call, talk to several people and finally get the number.
    • It is a nice little critter, pretty light. It looks slick, especially when closed. When you open it, it is clear at a glance that it's a cheaper Dell.
    • Fast boot, slow writes to the ssd
    • Excellent 1024x600 display, decent speakers, nice keyboard, decent trackpad.
    • All hotkeys work, which is nice.
    • The default Gnome/Ubuntu is not my cup of tea though, it looks a bit outdated as compared with KDE. I'll install kubuntu-desktop and see. It's still running 8.04 plus 600 mb of updates. I'll switch it completely to 9.10 if the display Intel graphics issues are gone and the hotkeys work (I'll test a live CD).
    • Wifi works great.
    • For some reason the multimedia codecs did not work for me when trying to view some of my videos, so I had to do the usual Ubuntu codecs enabling.
    • [UPDATE] I installed kubuntu-desktop, left gdm as the default window manager, logged out, logged in as a KDE session and got myself a Kubuntu machine.
    • [UPDATE] After playing with kubuntu as packaged by Dell I went back to Gnome. Many of the little things don;t work as smoothly in that version of Kubuntu (hotkeys, wifi). I plan to try a newer Kubuntu, maybe the netbook 9.10 edition.

Re: Just bought a Dell Mini with Ubuntu

About 4 or 5 months ago, I made the same decision that you made for much the same reasons that you did, except that I bought a (the only) desktop model with Ubuntu pre-installed. I should mention that the computer was somewhat less capable than I would have preferred, but I still felt that Dell should be rewarded for offering an Ubuntu computer at all. It was the worst computer decision of my life, and turned me from a loyal Dell customer into someone who will never buy anything else from them.

First, I wound up being talked into a financing deal that (when the fine print was read) involved an APR interest rate (27%) that was about one third higher than my credit card. This certainly was not obvious without reading the very fine print. Second, the computer, has no PS/2 ports, so I had to buy a PS/2 to USB connector from an outside vendor in order to use the programmable keyboard and "fancy" track ball that I require.

When the computer arrived, it was incapable of connecting to the net to complete the Ubuntu installation. A series of phone calls ensued. The average on hold wait time was 45 minutes. I finally got connected to a technician with a south asian accent, (I've spent time there, and have friends from the region so I could be more specific.), who identified himself as "Theodore" (no last name given) whose prior experience involved laptops. He had to consult with other technicians who were more qualified to deal with a desktop computer. The problem was ultimately diagnosed as involving either RAM memory or the disk drive. I was asked to express my satisfaction with their resolution of the problem by Theodore's supervisor. I requested the "InHome Service" that I had ordered when I purchased the computer because neither my eyesight nor my digital dexterity currently allows me to perform repairs involving precise manipulation of small parts. I was told that I would be called by a service technician to set up an appointment when the parts arrived. I finally heard from the technician four days later. A check of the Dell service agreement indicates that the replacement parts "may" be refurbished rather than new.

By the time the parts arrived I had isolated the problem to a bad memory chip, but what did I know. I was a mere customer in a world in where customers are no longer always right. So my disk drive was replaced anyway. I'll give you one guess as to the operating system on the "new" disk drive. Hint, the name begins with a V and not a U. Fortunately, that problem was easy to correct

Comment

I believe that if they could, PC manufactures would more than happily dump any form of customer support. I beleive that most provide it because their competition does. If they all got together one day, and agreed to terminate support, with absolute assurance that each would abide, they would do so.

If PC manufactures really cared about support, they would hire qualified technicians who actually knew the hardware and software on ALL the platforms that the company sold, and how to perform or direct valid troubleshooting. If that were the case, customer satisfaction would go way up.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I hate paying good money for computers. Living in the boonies now, I don't have a lot of opportunity to get free computers like folks in the city. However, a couple of months ago I did get a decent score. A 1GHz IBM with 512MB ram, and a nice small box. It is currently a very capable host for LinuxMint-7. It cost me a buck at the dump and comes with their standard return policy. I don't have any kids at home anymore, but if I did, that's what I'd be giving them. I can't see myself buying a retail machine - they just don't give you enough for the money.

OK, so now that we've all dampened lmilano's enthusiasm for his new computer, let's hope it actually turns out to be a really good purchase! Post back and let us know how it goes.

Comment

Oh my dear, and I was happy! I am sure you'd have come to my wedding to tell me about your divorce, LOL!

I actually heard many happy story from Dell/Linux buyers, including my pal at work who mostly uses windows but got an Ubuntu Mini 9 and loves it. So, I hope to be lucky, too.

I think part of the issue with support is cost. A good technician would have to charge a good fraction of what I payed for my full computer system, per hour. Go figure.

And because we are chatty: I really prefer white box, no OS computers for desktops. Basically, I try to find a good deal on a base barebone system (case + mobo), and then add memory, drives, etc when I find ridiculously low deals (and there always are around). I can build a performance system for the price of what name-brand vendors sell their entry-level systems, so why not The trick is to always be one step behind. That extra 50% in performance makes the system 3 times more costly.

Cheers!

Comment

The trick is to always be one step behind. That extra 50% in performance makes the system 3 times more costly.
            You got that right. I'm also running a couple of steps behind, and still find that I can run all kinds of programs simultaneously and have 30 or more windows open at once. How much performance does a guy need? I bought an Intel 511 2.8GHz chip and a low end Intel D915 MB three and a half years ago when that stuff was already a step behind. As mentioned in my post above, I actually find that two steps before that is even acceptable. But then my second most used machine is a Pentium133 running 16 bit DOS. It's faster than lightening and completely networked with my home LAN and the rest of the world. We get spoiled nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
              If PC manufactures really cared about support, they would hire qualified technicians who actually knew....
              how to converse intelligently in the native tongue of the customer calling in! >
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

The reason that current computer technical support operations are carried out from India, Malaysia, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Singapore, and Bangla Desh is that they DO speak English!

The problem is that most of these "tech support" people know nothing about the products they are supporting. They have a script that lists a set of initial questions, then branches depending on the answers. However, if the caller deviates from the script in any way these support people can only respond by referring the caller to a higher level "expert", with another 45 minute wait on hold.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
                  ...referring the caller to a higher level "expert", with another 45 minute wait on hold.
                  ...and a higher level "expert" script!

Comment

I went through exactly this, yesterday! The day after I bought the refurb Mini, there was a huge discount on the new Mini at the same price I paid for the refurb. I tried in vain to give a shot at getting a new one instead: the Lady I talked to was totally out of the loop, and all she could do is to say generic things that I can find in the web page.

Oh well, I hope the family will enjoy the new toy!

Comment

I'm sure you have a warranty on the refurbished. Regardless though, call them again, ask for sales, and then for a supervisor - be insistant. Tell them that you want to return the refurbished unit for the 'on sale' new.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
                        ...they DO speak English! {/quote]

Ya, the way I speak Spanish. They have no clue as to idiomatic locality, current usages and slang, or a general feel for the Language. Most that I've talked to barely understood 6th grade English, and were constantly asking me to repeat myself on simple, distinctly spoken expressions, like they didn't understand a word and was looking it up in an online dictionary.

[qoute]
                        The problem is that most of these "tech support" people know nothing about the products they are supporting. They have a script that lists a set of initial questions, then branches depending on the answers. However, if the caller deviates from the script in any way these support people can only respond by referring the caller to a higher level "expert", with another 45 minute wait on hold.
                        THAT IS THE PROBLEM, in a nut shell. What really makes it bad is when that IS your PAID support! >
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                          What really makes it bad is when that IS your PAID support! >
                          Apparently, you just aren't paying enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                            ...If PC manufactures really cared about support, they would hire qualified technicians who actually knew the hardware and software on ALL the platforms that the company sold, and how to perform or direct valid troubleshooting. If that were the case, customer satisfaction would go way up.
                            I am glad most all companies have the cheapest possible customer support possible... because i rarely use it for any product. I would hate to have all that talent sitting there explaining to people where the start button is... it's just frustrating when the tech savvy people here are finally stumped and get no love... but seriously... you guys want 60-70k a year people answering those phones I don't want that built into the price of my products.

But the other point of supporting companies that support linux... i am typing this on my brand-new HP Wireless Elite keyboard that I pretty much bought for the HPLIP project!

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab
                              But the other point of supporting companies that support linux... i am typing this on my brand-new HP Wireless Elite keyboard that I pretty much bought for the HPLIP project!
                              Yep. All the printers I buy are HP for the same reason, and ATI graphics for supporting open source. The other netbook choices I was considering were System76's 10 incher, Zareason's 10 incher, Dell Mini 10, HP Mini Mi, all with Linux preinstalled. Every time I buy a service like DSL I make sure to make it clear I'll buy it if it works with Linux. I have a dying EEEPC which came with Linux, and the Desktop at home runs Kubuntu but it's really a barebones.

There are dozens millions of Linux users, we need to make ourselves visible

Comment

Working...
                              X