Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your favourite way to read these forums?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your favourite way to read these forums?

I've been hanging around here for a little while now and try to read most of the new posts. However, I have not discovered an easy way to view all recent messages without considerable complication. Yes, there is a list of new posts at the bottom, but it so short that if I don't come back here within the hour (sometimes much less) then some messages have scrolled off the bottom. Looking at the "today" markings doesn't work for me either because there may be other entries obscured by that. In that case what I do is go through the whole tree - an arduous task indeed! If I don't do that I find that I miss many posts - even ones posted a short while ago. How do other people do it?

Re: What is your favourite way to read these forums?

I click the 'Show unread posts since your last visit' link near the top of the page. Works really well, but I guess you need to be logged in.

Comment

Thanks olembe, that is a good place to start. But it does not include the ones that I have read! For example, I recently posted another message and because I have (of course) read it, it doesn't show up and I have to go searching for it using more complicated techniques. Oh well, I'm starting to find ways. Since there doesn't seem to be any easy way to generate a chronological list of posts I guess everybody finds their individual ways. That said; I have been known to miss the obvious.

Comment

Once you've read a post, it is no longer flagged as an 'unread post since your last visit' and will of course, not be in this listing the next time you log on. That's just the way the forum works. On the other hand, if you read and then replied to a post, you can find those just be clicking on your Personal CP, scrolling down to the bottom and clicking on the Show the last posts of this person link.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog, you're brilliant! That is exactly the missing piece that I needed to navigate the forum conveniently. I think I'm all set now. Thanks!

PS: Shouldn't this info be under the help button at the top? Perhaps I'm just a bit dense. (don't answer that!)

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul
            (don't answer that!)
            Okay, I won't. (oops, I just did!)
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I use akregator and email notification in case of replies.
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
              X