X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 9.04 - the worst version ever

irlandes -

Do keep in mind, that it really isn't fair to make any *real* comparison of 9.04 - yet. It's still just an Alpha release; hasn't even made it to Beta yet.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Aw, after reading through this whole thread dibl comes and says something sensible before I get in my two bits.

The big one here is about VENTING. Unless it is humorous, witty, and/or informative (which is possible) it really doesn't work on a forum. Yes I understand people's need (including my own) but it still doesn't work. So, I have a solution which I use myself:

Go to http://baywords.com/ (about 3 clicks) or http://wordpress.com/ (a couple more) or any other free blog site. Fill in your e-mail, choose a name, and start blogging. You'll feel much better.

Then come here!

Comment

Locked.

Thread was locked prior to being moved to Kubuntu User Testimonies. Oceanwatcher was kind enough to notify me, saying that since it had been moved here, the topic was appropriate and deserved to be reopened for further comment.

Comment

The last Microcrap installation I used was Vista Ultimate. After an extended check of the install (and since I was putting computer boxes together and selling them with their new M/crap systems) I assumed that M/soft had left 'crap' off the 'Ultimate' name. Windows is fine if your brain can't handle typewritten commands and need to push a rodent around your desk - but to be fair, you can push a rodent around your desk too with Ubuntu/Kubuntu (I have both) plus the Ubuntu Server 9.10 (oh glory be - a Majestic Cloud)!!

Please don't say Ubuntu/Kubuntu is the worst ever - cos they're not! I have two modern machines that work just fine with these systems - but then, if you are more familiar with a Mosaic/XP symbiosis, then go back to it and calm your nerves and your temper! Phew...
          Terabyte<br /><br />Non sibi sed omnibus (Not for oneself, but for all)

Comment

Of course there was a real bad thing in Jaunty, it shipped with a broken offial package manager. That should not happen again, but other than that ...

BTW: Karmic is, simply stated, outstanding!

Comment

[soapbox]
              I notice that frequently complaints made about some issue in an ALPHA or BETA release of a distro are soon resolved, but the subject line still appears in Google searches, leaving the wrong impression.

Also, there is the fact that while some aspect of Kubuntu may give me and/or my hardware problems, THAT DOES NOT AlWAYS MEAN that it gives EVERYONE identical problems. So, subject line content like "some version of some distro is the worse ever" does a disservice to the distro AND the community, and to Linux in general.

[/soapbox]
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

True, but it is a stated 'opinion' and valid as such. That's why such get posted here, in Kubuntu User Testimonies.

Comment

Again, I must state as I have before. Nothing is ever perfect. Unfortunate, yes, but true. Yes, venting helps with the frustration, but that is why there are places like here. There are those who love to help through problems like these. They are a challenge. I agree with the one comment above. Make a Blog and vent there. Then, if you truly want to work though it, come here to ask. There are quite a few here with the knowledge to help and solve if at all possible. I think there is a section in this forum that you can set up a Blog. I think that is appropriate.

Comment

Well, I've been one of the loud proponents of the opinion that the KDE4 inclusion in Kubuntu was premature, which led to a couple of unstable steps backwards versions. With Karmic, however, I'm prepared to say that Kubuntu is once again up to speed and ready for general use.

I've found some minor problems, mostly related to weird crashes in Plasma, but overall, it's now evolved enough to replace Kubuntu KDE3-versions. From now on, it will only get better (at least until KDE5 is prematurely included... ).

Comment

I can't agree with Argos!

Firstly, I've just upgraded to Kubuntu 10.04 and checked all the programs and areas crucial to what I do: Photography, Linux, Gardening, etc and this version of Kubuntu is the very best ever!

Well done Kubuntu Team!

^_^
                      Terabyte<br /><br />Non sibi sed omnibus (Not for oneself, but for all)

Comment

Working...
                      X