X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 9.04 - the worst version ever

Originally posted by Argos
    [ ... ]
    my post is genuine. i have experienced a lot of problems with Jaunty and it finally caused a complete crash of my HD and lost of data. the root partition has been erased completely - out of the blue, after kubuntu just told me that there was an error and there i was - with an erased HD.
    [ ... ]

I'll turn off notification, now.

Comment

To argue a desktop layer, that's all KDE is, would destroy a disk and or partition needs a damn good argument to stand.
      Without such argument, or like in this case self proclaimed lack of expertise in the matter, you sound ludicrous.
      Millions of users run Jaunty and now because you experience a series of problems you state the whole distribution sucks, I think you value yourself too high.

When you no longer trust the KDE4 desktop, fine, use a distribution with 3.5, it's not as if these have disappeared with your disk...

Now stop this silly bitching and start looking for a reason and solution.
      You state the disk is accessible but the root partition has mysteriously disappeared, only running some diagnostics can help you recover it, if at all.
      So run the diagnostics as suggested!

Then the members of this forum might be able to help, forget about finding sympathy or help when you continue to only bitch.

Comment

It's funny. I've used different linuxes since 1995, so basically Ive seen it all.

When you adopt a distro, X, and they have a release, Y, you invariably have a few posts posts in their forums saying "X.Y has been the worst ever". Always.

The other repetitive trend is to complain for the release date (too early, too late, too punctual). *buntu fixed this by adopting a fixed, predictable release cycle. But you still get the posts "they should have been waited to fix this and that before release ..."

I agree with Teunis. Coming to a friendly forum like this one, where everyone gets helped, and very many issues solved, and insulting everyone in their face (because _we_ are kubuntu), is pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
          I installed Jaunty on almost a dozen computers ranging from a 5 year old desktop to 1 year old laptops, made by a variety of OEMs. I did it because I told them I was tired of constantly being called by them for help in getting their Windows running again and I was not "doing Windows" any more. If they want my help to keep their computers running they'll have to install Linux. They agreed.
          (Y) ... I LOVE THIS

People always used to come for me to fix their computers, when VISTA hit the market I was outdated cause I never used it.
          But I still try to get my way through, after all it's still a Windows!

I'd like to take your permission to use that quote in my blog : P

I think I should tell my friends & family the same .. lol

As for the main topic of 9.04 being the worst version, I have some posts where I was asking if I should switch from 8.04 to 9.04, all suggested I'd go with it.
          After a while using 9.04, I felt that KDE4 still needs some time, am not saying it's not good .. it's great! But it has few glitches.

As for myself, I wouldn't complain rather than giving a positive feedback about my problem & trying to get it fixed.
          The only serious issue I had with 9.04 was the Intel graphics issue where the computer would freeze, so basically I've rolled my desktop back to Kubuntu 8.04 so I'd be working with KDE3, laptop to Ubuntu 8.10 so I wouldn't worry about the Intel graphics thingy.

For some reason, I feel if your computer is performing your tasks perfectly, do not update to a newer version, unless you really would like to have that release.

As for partitioning, I'd recommend sticking to EXT3 at the moment, at least for another few releases, in case 9.04 crashed on you & you were using 9.04 & for some reason you couldn't boot it (lets say a new incompatible hardware), you cannot simply boot 8.10 & access the EXT4 partition, simply because 8.10 doesn't support it (I've learned that the hard way).

Also, you might stick to those released every two year (the LTS versions), the next LTS is the 10.04 which is less than a year to come, and I'm pretty sure & confident (well at least that's what I hope (A) )that by that time, KDE4 will be mature enough to replace KDE3 for good.
          It's like those in between versions are test versions & the LTS would be the most reliable, dunno if tis true or not, but that's what I feel anyways.

Best of luck & hope you recover your data.

Comment

Originally posted by 0x00FE
            Originally posted by GreyGeek
            I installed Jaunty on almost a dozen computers ranging from a 5 year old desktop to 1 year old laptops, made by a variety of OEMs. I did it because I told them I was tired of constantly being called by them for help in getting their Windows running again and I was not "doing Windows" any more. If they want my help to keep their computers running they'll have to install Linux. They agreed.

I'd like to take your permission to use that quote in my blog : P

You have it, and so does anyone else who would care to quote it.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
              It's funny. I've used different linuxes since 1995, so basically Ive seen it all.

When you adopt a distro, X, and they have a release, Y, you invariably have a few posts posts in their forums saying "X.Y has been the worst ever". Always.

The other repetitive trend is to complain for the release date (too early, too late, too punctual). *buntu fixed this by adopting a fixed, predictable release cycle. But you still get the posts "they should have been waited to fix this and that before release ..."

I agree with Teunis. Coming to a friendly forum like this one, where everyone gets helped, and very many issues solved, and insulting everyone in their face (because _we_ are kubuntu), is pointless.
              As much as Kubuntu consistently disapoints me (stability and robustness being my only real complaints) I have found that THIS FORUM is consistently helpful. The people here received me when I was brand new (Drapper Drake days) and have babied me and fed me tid bits to get me up to speed. I basically only have to ask questions when I really screw up now.

I stick with Kubuntu, though it is not the best distro, because of what lmilano said "we" are Kubuntu. This community bests all the other Linux communities I'm aware of. Not that others are bad, but this one is particularly good.

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by Bongo5HH

I stick with Kubuntu, though it is not the best distro, because of what lmilano said "we" are Kubuntu. This community bests all the other Linux communities I'm aware of. Not that others are bad, but this one is particularly good.

Kev
                Yup, i certainly agree with that.

I think that another Linux community which is particularly helpful is MepisLovers Forums.

It is the attitude of 'helping those who need it - because they need it' which moves me deeply.

Comment

i so hate kubuntu right now. Jaunty is probably the worst version ever.
                  I partly understand you as I was also very dissapointed, when I had Jaunty first week. Then I realised, that my worst problem with graphic card concerned only a few computers. Maybe your problem concerns only your computer or you just have bad luck.

On this forum I found many satisfied people. Now, after a few months problems are solved, I installed Kubuntu Jaunty on three other computers without any issues and I am satisfied too.

I think you must understand that Kde4 is a very new piece of software. I am looking forward to version 10.04, it could be the best version ever and it is worth to wait several months.

Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

hello all,

i am brand new to Kubuntu and i was caught by this topic, well i have been using ubuntu 9.04 for about 3 months now and its working great, and i have been attracted to kubuntu because i like blue (well i know its a silly reason but hey ! i want my PC to look cool ).

the very thing that i really admire about it is that i do not need any varification CD's for my mother board or graphics card and so on...it seems just magically to be identified on its own.

but i have a little question in mind, since there is a difference in the programing languages between Linux and Windows, is there any possibility to make .exe applications work on kubuntu? i heard about wine but it dosnt seem to be working okay on ubuntu so.....any way you guys can help?

oh and by the way...thanks for helping dudes like me trying to get arround with Kubuntu

here are my PC spec's:

MB: Intel XBX975
                    Processor: Intel Dual Core 3.4 Ghz L2
                    1 GB ram
                    nVidia G-Force 7300GS
                    HD 320 GB

(is this enough for running kubuntu??)

Comment

Hello satoshi_katsunagi and Welcome.

Wine should be working, how did you install it? and what problems are you having with it?

Your specs look to be fine to run Kubuntu.

Have Fun.

Comment

Welcome Home satoshi_katsunagi!

Your hardware is clearly insuficient to run Kubuntu, please send you computer to me and I'll take care of it Just kidding, it's quite more than you need to run Kubuntu. If you want to run high end games at high specs on a large monitor, you'll need a better card, but that's all.

Wine can be used to run _some_, not all windows applications. It is typically a LOT, LOT, LOT better to see if the application has a Linux equivalent, and if so, install the Linux native application using the Kubuntu software installer.

Hope this helps, and thank you for your kind words!

Comment

Hi satoshi_katsunagi !!

If others are not able to get WINE to run your specific EXE perhaps you may find success with the commercial version, found at: http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxlinux/

You can download the trial version and test your EXE on it. If you EXE runs then what you do after that is up to you!
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yay -- @satoshi_katsunagi, you are the first I've seen with my same D975XBX chipset!

You're hardware is fine -- more than fine.

Some Windows .exe files may run under wine -- you can try it. But, no graphics-intensive video games, and no serious databases.

However, if you really need a Windows database, or IE access to a secure web site, you can use the free VMWare Player. Check out the link in my signature.

Comment

Originally posted by Argos
                              i so hate kubuntu right now. Jaunty is probably the worst version ever. i've been using Ubuntu since version 6 and never i experienced so many crashes and problems. since i installed Jaunty i feel i was working on Windows again. and KDE 4.2 And plasma - what the hell is that thing ? is it a screen saver ? is it desktop ? who needs it ?
                              Strange to hear Kubuntu 9.04 are the worst, if you really are a kubuntu user since version 6.06, you should know that Kubuntu 8.10 are even worse than Kubuntu 9.04.

Kubuntu 8.04 is the best Kubuntu but it seems that you'd never used it before?

Comment

Originally posted by pansz
                                ...you should know that Kubuntu 8.10 are even worse than Kubuntu 9.04.
                                I'm running Kubuntu 8.10 w/KDE 4.2.xx and I'm very happy with it. What I find amusing is all the back-and-forth "it's good - it's bad" comments. I believe that in almost 100% of the cases where a post claims "it's bad", it's due (likely) entirely to incompatible hardware and/or a screwed up system (highly messed with).
                                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                                X