This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows Vista

As far as Vista is concerned, most of the Windows pundits and bloggers have been let down, and those are the people who like microsoft.

Comment

i have used win 95/98/Me then moved to Linux
      and i doubt that i will ever move back to windows

to me Linux is a vista without windows or gates ...

Comment

I would stick with having XP Pro X64 but that is all I shall keep with windows. When I heard that Vista will be all copyrighted I was great this means more MS BS. I could just see my hard drive of songs not being abe to play becauses they didn't have a license with them or what not. I just feel Vista is gonna have way more big brother support. I am not too excited about Vista over all.

Comment

I run a dual boot system with XP and kubuntu on separate drives. My wife uses XP (Outlook/word etc) and I'll be keeping the windows - probably upgrading to Vista when some kinks are ironed out. although windows XP is inherently insecure and Vista should be inherently more secure, it will still be a principle focus for hackers, spyware producers, virus writers and other pond life, thats just the way it is. I hope that Vista will be a bit more self maintaining (all I ever use Windows for is to run the virus and spyware scanners and defrag the hard disk, clean up the registry etc etc - you know the drill - so it'll keep working) Personally I'm sticking with Linux. I actually have to work at it to screw it up!

Comment

Originally posted by Gezzer
            i have used win 95/98/Me then moved to Linux
            and i doubt that i will ever move back to windows
            Because after you try Mistake Edition (ME) there's not going back to Winblows.
            Originally posted by Gezzer
            to me Linux is a vista without windows or gates ...
            And other pointless objects that only get in the way of your day to day tasks.
            (I interpreted Windows and Gates as things, not proper nouns)

Also, do you think I could fool my neighbour into thinking Kubuntu 6.04 is Windows Vista (he's not computer literate and has probably never heard of or seen Vista. The reason I want to trick him is because he bothers me too much saying he gets popups and all that crap, it's really annoying. Also, because I say it's Microsoft Windows Vista, he'll think he has to get it (Because upgrading is mandatory in order to use a computer ... or so he thinks). And he'll probably be more cooperative learning the new Kubuntu stuff because he'll think it's new Windows stuff.

Brilliant I think, anyone else know what else I can do? I plan on telling him shortly after he learns how to use it btw...I'm not evil...
            <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

yeah, you'll be able to fool him into thinking it's vista... but it'll take some doing. Hardest part will be explaining why he has to specify the file type he's saving his 'MS Office documents" as. There are vista themes and icon sets available. As far as not having the complete Aero theme, just tell him that his hardware can't support it.

For those of you saying that Vista is XP with makeup, you're dead wrong. Simple as that. IT WAS going to be makeup for XP until they scrapped the source early in the Longhorn project and started from scratch. Essentially one of the projects' lead programmers had to tell Gates that 'Windows is broken' and that they'd be going back to square one. And just to beat you windows bashers to the punch, 'heh it's been broken since 3.1!' har har.

Anyway, I think Vista has some potential. I'm also fairly certain that the days of $199 retail home edition are over. Microsoft is feeling the squeeze of open source and will be offering a $50-80 price point to encourage upgrading-- they'll need it once the masses understand what DRM is.

I think Vista is a huge step for MS. I know I'll dual boot Vista and some Linux distro when it comes out. (in fact I was thinking of getting the beta from the IT dept at my university for fun)

Furthermore, Vista is designed to run on a new FS that MS is developing-- though it won't be ready for Vista's release, it will be made available 6mo-1yr later.

PS. Nirvana, check www.KDE-look.org for various Vista styles and skins.

Comment

Originally posted by ericesque
                IT WAS going to be makeup for XP until they scrapped the source early in the Longhorn project and started from scratch.
                Actually, they scrapped building from XP and started building from Win2003.

Originally posted by ericesque
                PS. Nirvana, check www.KDE-look.org for various Vista styles and skins.
                Yeah, I've seen them, their nice, no glass effects though... but I'll stick to the "your computer doesn't support them" excuse.
                <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Can we say BLOATWARE? Vista is going to make the hardware industry rich as always. You'll need more hard disk space, more memory, and a minimum of at least a 2Ghz processor speed to run it with all the eye candy they are putting in it.
                  Dell Inspiron N5010 Intel Core i5 Arrandale M460 processor Intel graphics 8Gig RAM Seagate 640Gig HD Broadcom BCM4113 Wireless Linux Mint Rebecca (Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr).

Comment

They did NOT create a new kernel from scratch. It's the 2k3 kernel (which in turn was the XP kernel which was the 2k kernel which was the NT kernel, all with some 9x patchwork for backwards compatibility) with yet more patches. And that is their problem - maintaining backwards compatibility. I admire their efforts to keep ancient apps running, but at some point to make something REALLY good, you have to cut the cord. Make a new OS that doesn't run the old apps, end support of the old OS, move on. Apple managed to do it pretty well. Even through platform changes. How many of us still run a 10 year old app anyway??

Security is SUPPOSEDLY better, and LUA is a good *nix inspired start, but it will still fall to pieces when people get sick of the LUA messages and run as Administrator anyway. It still won't be linux.

And yeah, it's getting even more bloated. The price per GB these days isn't the point ... it should NOT take 3GB for a bare OS with NO software. Heck, how big is Puppy linux installed these days? And Puppy has more software by default than XP.

Vista may be the big failure us in the linux camp have been predicting ... especially when you factor in TC - the "big brother 0wn3z joo" factor. I own my hardware, and I tell IT what to do. It should NEVER be able to be disabled by some chunk of code that decides Disney owns your child's video of the school's Snow White play because you named some file "Snow White.mpg" ... and you can't view it or do anything with it 'til you pay Disney for the rights.

Comment

I've been a Computer tech for about 11/12 years (professionally, much longer in reality though) and have only jumped over to linux in the last year or so. When I saw the Vista beta was out I d/l and installed it. To be honest it looks very like XP with more bells and whistles (which is all I thought XP was compared to 2000 tbh). Although the more I read about the DRM stuff the more I get paranoid.

I don't copy stuff, games/OS's/music anything. The worst thing I will do is copy a CD I own to my pc to listen to it while playing a game, I've bought music online and to be honest the DRM copyright thing has given me more headaches that I'd like to go into to. Any type of a hardware failure is a pain in the rear but when you loose access to most of your legally purchased music collection because your DRM license will not allow you to access the music because you've had to restore it from a backup after your system crash/reformat/different OS etc I damn near flip the lid.

Don't get me wrong I agree with copyright and all that stuff. piracy is a crime and should be stopped but when the protection stops valid, paying customers from accessing the stuff they have bought then it's just wrong.

I can see Vista causing an awful lot of headaches for people on this front alone, not to mention the new user access controls are nothing if not annoying.

I will probably get Vista because I will be expected to support it but doesn't mean I have to like it, heck XP gives me enough headaches as it is. I would quite happily say good bye to windows if I could reliably play games that I own in Linux but while great strides have been taken in that area by wine and Transgaming I still have to dual boot to play some titles.

How I wait for the day I can format my windows partition knowing that linux can provide for all my needs but for now being a gamer it can not (although it is close)

Comment

Alright i feel pretty much the way every one else does. Windows XP got to buggy bloated and insacrue. for the longest time i had been playing with linux on and off and due to some things i wasnt used to i didnt go all the way.
                        but with drm and other pertection things coming out and the already ridculese
                        ways xp handles things. heck i was spending more time learning
                        how to get around things as it is rather then learning what i should
                        i installed kubuntu a week ago and already a light clicked on in my head
                        somthing that never happended before while on linux. im getting the hang of it
                        and for once unlike windows im understaning why not just memerizing
                        and learning its this way because microsoft makes it a $%^$$#
                        pain in the ass. yes vista is goin to be the ms os that linux users have perdicted for years.

Comment

@Whoever mentioned Vista's price: It's 50$ for a basic edition if you bought a PC/Notebook recently. If not, it's 100$ for an upgrade. (Prices are in US, because that's what the mag said.)

I don't like windows anymore.

I'm buying a PC in the cmoing months, and XP will be installed because my parents are (Entersomethingrudehere) and don't understand linux. I'll be installing Kubuntu right by it, and use that most of the time. I might pick up a copy of Vista if I can get it cheap enough.

I wish they would have rewritten the kernel. They may have had a chance of success.

The hardest part of converting someone from winblows to opensource, is convincing them that you can get free software (0$) to replace 500$ apps made by MS and Adobe.

Comment

Someone said something about KDE using more resources than XP? Please. I mean really - just please. :-) Maybe straight out of the box, but Windows is basically unusable straight out of the box. Outlook Express as the only mail client? Wordpad or Note Pad for "Word Processing?"

On Windows I have to keep a virus scanner and firewall running all the time. Quicktime keeps some little updater thingie going, in order to use my DSL modem some little memory resident thing runs all the time. Stock spam filters don't work worth a darn, so Popfile runs all the time in the background (unlike spamassassin and bogo filter which are pigs but only when you download mail), an active spy ware scanner. I could go on!

Windows messenger. Nuff said!

Windows gets me to a log in faster than Kubuntu tis true. But I can log in to Kubuntu and head to the coffee machine and hear the up and running sound before I get there. And it's up and running! Every app that was open when I shut down is back where I started.

With XP I can log in and make a pot of coffee. By the time I get a *useable* desktop the coffee is done.

Windows worked good for me and my little business for many years. I couldn't imagine having started all this without Windows and it's apps.

But.

The cost has become to high for a small business like mine. It's time for a real file server here. This means licenses for everything.

Just looking - Windows server looks like the less expensive way to go. But then you build in paying for your OS on each box every year. Your Office suite every year. You pay for it then pay for it forever.

You're locked in to the endless upgrade.

New apps come out which push the OS to it's limit, a new OS is released which needs better hardware to have even a chance to run so folks release the new killer app and it goes on and on forever.

The "cost" of a Ubuntu server is 1200 US per year. This is unlimited email support from 9 to 9. An email to  Microsoft will cost 99 bucks.

I love Kubuntu. It's affordable, it's fast, it's stable (this box has been up for a month now and still has the same CPU and memory useage as it did the day I last booted) and the little icons bounce around when you start an application. :-D

By the way folks, most people who use computers have never even heard of Linux.

Another BTW - you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. All this Microsoft bashing that goes on is not attractive to people. Micros***, Winduh's, WInblows all that sounds fairly nutty to the average person, fanatics only attract the fringe elements.

Kubuntu is a very nice OS that can stand on it's own in the SOHO market.

I had a salesperson call on me last week. I wanted to check some figures so I spun my deskchair around (I don't have monitor between me and people, just no) and hit F12. 3Ddesk kicked in and gave me a view of all my desktops, I used the arrow keys to spin to desktop3 and there were my spreadsheets ready to go.

He was like "wow - how did you do that?"

He'd never heard of Linux. When I pulled up Kontact that was it, I had a sale. It took about an hour and a half to get Kubuntu installed and configured on his notebook (this included backing up his hard drive before we started) and he loves 3Ddesk and Kooldock. :-D

Comment

Reports i have read so far say, it is pretty much Windows XP with *less* security than XP (the only people not admitting to this our Microsoft), alot of eye candy (but with no real functionality), and some more patronisingly re-organised screens - changed in the name of user friendliness, but not really any different from.. XP.

If you're wallets feeling heavy, there's a reason to switch *grins and shrugs*

I am also an ex-windows user so have seen the world from both sides, for what it's worth.

x

Comment

Vista may (or may not) be more secure than XP, but at a price and for a purpose: not to protect your system, but to protect the rights of the holders of copyright in 'premium content'.

<quote>
                                Windows Vista includes an extensive reworking of core OS elements in order to provide content protection for so-called "premium content", typically HD data from Blu-Ray and HD-DVD sources. Providing this protection incurs considerable costs in terms of system performance, system stability, technical support overhead, and hardware and software cost.
                                </quote>

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36570

Nuff said?

Comment

Working...
                                X