Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does your screen name say about you?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What does your screen name say about you?

I haven't been properly introduced to Red Dwarf, but my boyfriend intends to correct that at some point in the near future. I absolutely <3 Doctor Who though. 8th and 10th Doctors are my favorites right now, but that may change once I get a chance to take in more of the 4th Doc. On that topic, it makes me very happy to have found a retailer in the US that sells Jelly Babies. ^_^

Comment

4th doctor is my favorite, as he was the first I ever saw. so hes the standard i guess.

Red Dwarf is a sci-fi parody, when you realise how it makes fun of shows like star trek and others it just makes it that much more funny.

off the top of my head my favorite episode is "tikka to ride" where they go back in time and interupt the events in Dallas Nov. 1963

Comment

Originally posted by Death Kitten
        ...I absolutely <3 Doctor Who though. 8th and 10th Doctors are my favorites right now...
        Paul McGann?!? Nobody likes Paul McGann! :P

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab
          Originally posted by Death Kitten
          ...I absolutely <3 Doctor Who though. 8th and 10th Doctors are my favorites right now...
          Paul McGann?!? Nobody likes Paul McGann! :P
          Dude was an awesome Doctor, he just gets no love because his only appearance was in the horrid movie. I haven't had the chance to listen to the radio stuff he did, but I liked his version of the Doctor, even if the movie was horribly cheesey, and I've heard good things about his radio work as The Doctor.

Comment

Mine says that I like hot food. I used to live in New Mexico. It seemed like the state question was "Red or Green?" I always preferred green chile. The spelling is what would fit on a license plate.

Oh - I also used to write FORTRAN IV for a CDC6600 and my draft number was 363. I'm amazed at how many well aged geeks there are here.

Comment

The best hot sauce I ever tasted is Encona Original West Indian Hot Pepper Sauce (http://www.encoproducts.co.uk/conten...es-1#hotpepper). The tastiest and the hottest at the same time. Mind, I'm not good with horseradish hotness. Chilli is my preferred poison, especially Scotch Bonnet
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

That sounds scary. I'll definitely have to look for some...

Comment

grnchile, amazing coincidences -- I just sent you a PM.
                  --Mike
                  An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

All this talk about Draft Lottery made me curious; had forgotten details but found this table, where now recall mine was 312.:
                    http://www.sss.gov/LOTTER8.HTM
                    I do recall being resigned to go in after graduation (which is why I took the 2 years un-enlisted ROTC, just in case), but it was a friend who came and got me that day to check the lottery in the NY Times in the library--I didn't even know it was going on, had paid no attention. He got 57.

As for chile (note the spelling btw) ...
                    After reading grnchile's post, I think I'll change my screen name to redandgreeneveryday

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Re spelling - I know, my wife got me this chilli cookbook which was published in the States. It was full of this chile baloney. Honestly, I was rather confused at first until my eyes got used to this dreadful anomaly. I had even managed to suppress this insult to the eyes, stash it away in some part of the brain not accessible to your everyday toad but your post blew that strategy to pieces. Now I might as well get that cookbook out again and face up to the realities of the thing that is called chile across the pond

And re your new name - cool but be careful that people know you are talking about chillies, ah, chiles or chilies and not some aromatic herb which boasts an even greater number of spellings/names
                      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Did i say i get confused easily? I'd wondered what the conversation about children (without the 'd') was...

Comment

Seems confusion might be contagious ... I may have caught it
                          Here, we refer to the the crop, plant, as chile. The term "chili" refers to a dish (like a soup) made from hot peppers, meat, onions, beans, etc., for example, Texas chili. This might be a New Mexico thing, where "chile" is the pride crop of the state.
                          Making me hungry ... better make a run for a breakfast burrito ... with green

Comment

Red Hot Chili Peppers (sic) didn't help when they spelled their name wrong...

At any rate, "chile" is certainly used outside of New Mexico, but it seems like it's only in New Mexico that I've seen people become linguist perfectionists when the subject comes up. New Mexico green chile deserves the attention, though (I might be biased... : ).

Comment

I get this chilly feeling when in Chile in June, but a decent Texas Chili or even ye olde British Chilli con Carne sees me right Have I covered all the spellings? Ah, what the heck!

I can't wait to get to the UK again (Big Smoke, Cambridge and Nottingham, perhaps a visit up Norf if I can fit it into the three weeks I've got) at the end of July since my trusty Indian corner shop has point blank refused to stock Encona West Indian Hot Pepper Sauce ever again. I am shocked and appalled, shocked and appalled.

Comment

Huh -- if I ever relocated to Europe, I do believe I'd have to establish an import capability to get the needed ingredients for chili. Three or four trips to Germany and I've never seen chiles or proper beans, either -- not sure how I'd survive the winter there.

Comment

Working...
                                X