This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just moved from Gentoo

Okay, I'm a geek. I *like* configuring and tweaking every aspect of my system. Compiling everything with processor specific options for ultimate speed is just cool. Gentoo was a natural fit.

I also run a business. I don't always have 4 hours to figure out why my wireless started disassociating every 20 minutes or why after a kernel upgrade VMWare takes over 5mins to resume a guest machine. The last update that broke both suspend to RAM and bluetooth was simply the last straw. Yes, I'm sure there is a solution. I probably could make it work again - I always have before. But I just want a computer that works. So I decided to give Kubuntu another spin. And boy, am I happy

Installation was a breeze. Without doing anything my wireless was operational, optimal screen resolution was set and both suspend to RAM and suspend to disk worked! (Okay, bluetooth isnt resuming properly but I *never* had a 100% working S/R in Gentoo.). With a few clicks of the button nVidia drivers were installed and operational. Installed fprint and had to add two lines to pam.d/common-auth before my fingerprint scanner was working. I ran a printer wizard and it found my network printer and picked the right drivers and was printing instantly. Best of all applications are just ready to run - no compiling. Maybe OO does take 0.00something of a second longer to start - I can't tell the difference. I just saved 6 freaking hours by not waiting for it to compile before I could work.

I'll always have a soft spot for Gentoo. It still runs one of my servers. But for a solid desktop operating environment Kubuntu wins hands down, its come a very long way from the Hoary beast I first played with.

Re: Just moved from Gentoo

Me also a couple of years before.
    I agree with you 100%. The truth is that from time to time I miss Gentoo. It was a great toy and a great school the same time!!! the problem is that the max time I have to play with linux is less than an hour, late in the night. Gentoo needs much more. I remember that emerge world took approx 2 weeks in my old hardware

Comment

Working...
    X