This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delighted with KDE

Hello , new to this forum but not Ubuntu.

Have to say the KDE desktop is really very very good. Love the eye candy through and through.

One feature i really enjoy is to be able to push the mouse to the top right corner and all minimised windows pop up in miniature, much better than a task bar, took a while to realise but good job.

Love the colors love the widgets and if any one thinks its a Windows 7 copy as i have read here, RUBBISH ! its years ahead of anything MS has produced (im not a MS knocker).

I have a few minor niggles but nothing i can sort out by reading about.

Ubuntu+KDE 4.2, the future ?

Thanks very pleased old man here.

Re: Delighted with KDE

I agree. It's the second best KDE I've ever used.

Comment

I concur Sir!! I am new to Kubuntu. I have used other Linux distros prior to trying Kubuntu and the KDE Desktop. I am currently running the Kubuntu 9.10 Alpha release and I am very pleased with the distro so far. I really love the KDE Desktop it looks amazing. I am running the 64bit version of Kubuntu ext 4 on an Aluminum Unibody MacBook. So far everything is running very smoothly. I am using this is my main and only OS at the moment. I am sure that the final release will be a fantastic distro.

Comment

mmm... You're running Kubuntu 9.04 ALPHA?

That was what I started with, back in February!

I am sure that the final release will be a fantastic distro.
        Well, since ALPHA there have been lots of updates, a FINAL release of 9.04, and many more updates since then. IF you have been allowing the updates to install you are probably well beyond the final release. I am running KDE 4.2.4 and installed the .30 Linux kernel (in order to improve 3D response with the i915 driver on my video chip). The combination is outstanding!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I started using KDE 4.0 not long after it came out, and it's been great to see the project maturing so quickly. I've been gradually figuring out the little things that make it so much fun for people who like to configure everything their own way, like myself.

Comment

Originally posted by sxeptomaniac
            I started using KDE 4.0 not long after it came out, and it's been great to see the project maturing so quickly. I've been gradually figuring out the little things that make it so much fun for people who like to configure everything their own way, like myself.
            That's the brilliant thing about Linux and open source software in general, I'd say! You get to see things change and grow at an actually noticeable rate, and sometimes as soon as you can think "oh, I've heard about such-and-such kind of feature existing out in the wider world now", bam, someone's implemented it! (My most recent examples of such have been Google Calendar integration in Kontact and Facebook upload implementation in DigiKam).

It's especially wonderful when you compare it to the rate of progress in the commercial world, I think. I remember years ago laughing at how primitive Vista's installer was and cursing the limitations and bugs of it (it has a damn hard time with partitions, and f***ed up the partition table on one of my hard drives back in the day when I figured I'd give it a fair shake). Then literally yesterday I helped a friend install Windows 7....and the install process was just as primitive! This time it wouldn't even start installing on the spinning 1TB hard drive until the 30GB SSD that Kubuntu was installed on was physically disconnected. Furthermore, even though it wasn't supposed to touch it, Win7 managed to corrupt the /home partition on the 1TB drive. Just call back in mind any Ubuntu/Kubuntu install and realize how far into the future we are in our world compared to the world of commercial software, it's kindof scary.

Comment

Working...
            X