This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Here.

Hey all. I'm new. thought I'd say hi! I'm also incredibly new to linux aswell. I've run Ubuntu on an old laptop of mine because xp was too much of a resource hog, but didnt play with it a whole lot.

I've always liked the idea of Linux but was a little afraid of having to learn a new OS, that and there is a huge stigma out there where everyone I've talked about it said "oh it's a really hard os to learn and use, Dont Bother..."

Just started working as a sales rep for a linux development house about a month ago and well of course we use Linux there on all the computers there. was reading through linux journal and saw kde 4.2 and of course HAD to try.

so here I am. Just installed Kubuntu on my dell xps m1530 dual boot with vista the other night and I've been playing around with it a little bit. Started reading through some "linux basics" tutorials and such. I'm sure I'll have a few questions for you guys, but dont worry I know how to use Search

. Sad to say I'm typing this from Vista right now, but i haven't figured out how to read the .mp3's on my vista partition from my Kubuntu partition quite yet.

Re: New Here.

Hi Tweaked!

I've always liked the idea of Linux but was a little afraid of having to learn a new OS, that and there is a huge stigma out there where everyone I've talked about it said "oh it's a really hard os to learn and use, Dont Bother..."
    As you no doubt know, by now, IF you can point and click you can use Kubuntu!! Your only problem is to learn the menu structure and where on it are the apps which do what you used to do in VISTA/Windows. But, VISTA's menu changed too, so moving from XP to VISTA involved a learning curve and the Kubuntu curve is no more difficult than that one.

And, by now, you are probably aware that "everyone" knows only what they learn from Microsoft PR and the many computer/Internet news sites whose bread is buttered by Microsoft.
    http://boycottnovell.com/2008/11/10/...the-ms-bribed/

Let me suggest that you take a trip to Medibuntu (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu) and follow the steps there for making your installation multi-media capable.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Okay thanks I'll take a look. I was away from home for a week so I only had my laptop, going to install kubuntu on my desktop tonight more than likely and look into that. I really do like the way that kubuntu worked without having to mess around with a bunch of stuff. I'm just learning the console now, because even though I can do everything I need through some app or another I want to actually learn

Comment

So I've installed the repositories and took all the steps on the site. not quite sure what to do with the repositories.. I dont see any new applications added to my k menu. but I'll take a look around and see what I can find

Comment

Welcome to the party

So I've installed the repositories and took all the steps on the site. not quite sure what to do with the repositories.
          You have various methods for installing apps (packages)

Medibuntu just gives the repos (access) to multimedia apps.

So depnding on your likes / dislikes you have adept, or synaptic or apt-get install from a terminal.

I prefer synaptic but that a matter of taste.

To get synaptic do:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install synaptic
          from a terminal.
          Type your password (don't worry if you don't see anything, that is normal) and press "enter"

When you have finished installing you will find synaptic in kmenu->system.

More on synaptic:
          https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto

There is plenty more on installing apps here and on the ubuntu forums.

I'll let your curiosity run wild.
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
            I prefer synaptic but that a matter of taste.

Me too. One reason is that under the File menu option is a History option which lists the packages you installed/removed and the date you installed/removed them. I also like the dual panel feature with the buttons that allow a quick change in what the left panel displays. The right panel shows not only the applications you have installed, as green boxes, but what the version is, and if there are newer versions available. You also have the ability to lock a particular version or to downgrade if the newer one isn't better (for you) than the older one.

I don't mind apt-get and the other terminal repository interfaces, but they work better IF you can remember the exact name of the app you want to install or remove, IF you know what it is in the first place. With Synaptic I can put a piece of the name or what it does and get a list of likely candidates which usually contains the app I am looking for. At 68 that memory aid is worth its weight in Gold to me.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I may as well jump in here. I prefer aptitude, because it can be used from the command line and it is "smarter" than apt-get, although apt-get has now adopted aptitudes ability to keep track of packages that were automatically installed, so that it can remove them. I prefer the command line because i can find what I want faster.
              aptitude search will pull things out using partial names and is probably what synaptic uses. For instance "aptitude search network" is pretty instructive, as far as what is available and "dpkg -l |grep network" will show you what is installed.

To each his own, but I like to know the whole story, not just what some GUI creater thought was important. Fortunately Kubuntu allows each to chose the level they feel comfortable with, including GUI's that are vastly superior to what has previously been available. Best is that their GUI's do not mess with the actual configuration so you are free to not use them.

Comment

"dpkg -l |grep network" was interesting. I tried it out. If I reduce by terminal font size I can get one app per line.

To get something similar in Synaptic I clicked on the "Sections" button and then the "Network" button in the left panel. In the right panel I clicked on the header to the first column, the one above the check boxes. That sorted them by putting installed applications at the top of the list. To see the other network apps I click on the three remaining "Network" options in the left panel and the installed apps show at the top of the right panel.

Your way is a lot quicker! Now, if I could only remember those parameter switches without having to open a terminal, run man and slog though the documentation to refresh my memory...

Comment

g/f is working late tonight so that gives me a chance to play with this stuff. You guys are AWESOME!

Comment

Originally posted by Tweaked
                    g/f is working late tonight so that gives me a chance to play with this stuff. You guys are AWESOME!
                    Hey, "g/f"'s always come first, especially when they've stuck with you for 47 years!

Comment

Of Course she comes first, even if it's only been 2 years :P

Comment

Working...
                      X