This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Evaluation Proves Kubuntu Inferior to Kanotix

Ok ... I read somewhere on the net about your Kubuntu distro, downloaded it, burned it and booted it.

You guys really need to look at Kanotix, a knoppix dreviative. Your distro is way too inferior -

1. Boot time and hardware detection
    I booted it on an HP AMD machine, about a year old, and your distro has inferior hardware detection, didn't load sound drivers, and I could barely see the boot messages because you don't even detect the proper monitor/graphics combo.

2. You didn't include Firefox - sorry but Konquerer still isn't "there yet" and to try and convince me otherwise won't work.

3. You spend too much time trying to convert me to some obscure African wisdom which is no better than any other religion, when you should make the distro do as well or better than the others out there.

Take a look at the Knopix / Kanotix distros, they all surpass yours by light years.

No I don't feel sorry for you don't try to make me cry for you.

Re: Kubuntu Evaluation Proves Kubuntu Inferior to Kanotix

EDITED: edited my first post because it might be hasty, rude, and inhospitable to new posters (looking at # of posts). Nor do I want to stoop down to the level of bashing or trolling.

It might be possible that you either:
    a. downloaded the Breezy Live CD, which is around 7 months old and will soon be replaced by the next version; or
    b. downloaded any of the 7 beta or "flight" CDs or the official Release Candidate CD, none of which are really officially released.

Also, the older LiveCDs were meant only to be a sort of tester CDs, not for long term usage like Kanotix or Knoppix, nor for installing from the Live CD like Knoppix. It is only with the latest versions that a Live CD installer is made available.

1. It might be true that your hardware was not detected by Kubuntu, but that also depends on which version you were using. Nevertheless, to immediately conclude that Kubuntu is inferior simply because it has not detected a piece of your hardware is a major jump in logic. Kanotix might not also be able to detect certain hardware on other systems that Kubuntu might have no problem detecting.

2. The choice of pre-installed browser does not have any bearing on the distro. Firefox, or any other browser of choice, can be easily downloaded form the repositories. If you have problems/issues with Konqueror as a web browser, then the proper forum would be the KDE developers, as Kubuntu does not handle its development. As for Konqueror actually being inferior to Firefox, it is debatable and does not belong in this section/thread.

3. No one from Canonical Ltd or the Kubuntu team is convincing you, in any way whatsoever, to adopt Kubuntu. The choice is yours. If someone else has tried to talk you into using it, take it up with him/her. Also, what may be an obscure African word to you might be an innate human trait/behavior for others. Furthermore, the word "ubuntu" is the driving force or main theme of what the Ubuntu development team works for, a motto, so to speak. It guides them towards their goal. It is not something that they force on their users to believe. Just as other distributions have their goals, so does Ubuntu.

You are also posting on the wrong section of the forum. This section is for questions regarding Installing and Booting Kubuntu 5.10 (Breezy).
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

If you prefer Kanotix then use Kanotix, in a few years, when you feel more confident in linux and ready to move on, you can try other distros.

Before knocking other peoples hard work, it would be advisable to at least give the distro a real chance. To really experience Kubuntu you should install it on a hard drive and set it up they way you prefer it. I don't think the developers intended the live cd to be a knoppix replacement but rather a sneak preview of the full kubuntu installation.

Comment

To Jucato and Hestia:

Thank you!

To Monkeyshines:

Please pass the wine and keep the vingar for yourself!
        Kubuntu, I'm learning it, I'm loving it.

Comment

Originally posted by monkeyshines

Take a look at the Knopix / Kanotix distros, they all surpass yours by light years.
          DUDE!

Knoppix and Kanotix might have a better distro for you, but we have a better one for us - in Kubuntu - and we have a much friendlier forum!

Happy Dapper Drake Day!!!

ricnmar

Comment

Actually, I use Knoppix frequently, (to repair my wife's windoze machine). I have even installed it on the disk of (regrettably, now defunct) machine of my own. It's a very nice live CD, with the best hardware detection in the Linux community and a really nice way to install software (via KLIK), but it really isn't suitable for use almost all day every day. For that you need a real desktop distribution. I chose Kubuntu over Knoppix for that reason. My backup machine uses Debian Sid.

Comment

great. just what i needed. something new to tinker with.

damn you!
              I like KDE. My only gtk apps are beryl/emerald.

Comment

Ok. Forget it. I'm not going to invest time in a distro who's last release was 2 years ago.
                I like KDE. My only gtk apps are beryl/emerald.

Comment

Working...
                X