This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW OPENSUSE 11.1 KDE 4.1.3 WORKS GREAT

just a quick post to ask if anybody has tried Opensuse 11.1 kde 4.1.3? as opposed to kubuntu.
    Opensuse seem to really have the best and most stable Desktop, especially when it comes to the latest Kde version....

Opensuse 11.1 has backported features from the latest kde 4.2 beta 2 into the stable release of Opensuse 11.1 kde 4.1.3 to make a super stable Kde Desktop Environment running the Latest Opensuse. I tried Kubuntu with the latest Kde and it was nowhere near as good as OpenSuse...
    What do u guys think? Whats your opinion on Opensuse 11.1 kde 4.1.3? i find it super stable... but still missing a few features, but should be all good when 4.2 is released as stable

kaddy

Re: WOW OPENSUSE 11.1 KDE 4.1.3 WORKS GREAT

I have tried Open suse 11.1 and yes I found it a very well put together KDE distro, their modified 4.1.3 is very solid. That said I am using 4.2 beta 2 on Kubuntu and I am finding this to be very solid, in fact although it is still beta, on my system it is more stable than 4.1.* ever was.
    Getting back to suse I do like the fact that they treat their KDE version as a pure KDE distro, unlike Kubuntu.
    Kubuntu 10.10 64bit<br />KDE 4.5.3<br />Kernel: 2.6.35.22 generic<br />Nvidia Driver: 260.19.06<br />Dell Dimension 9200 - Core 2 Duo 6300 - 3GB Ram<br />Nvidia Geforce 7900GS<br /><br />Linux user since March 2004<br />Linux user #526793

Comment

Admittedly, having OpenOffice by default keeps Kubuntu from being purely KDE. Doesn't opensuse also use that as well? From looking at their KDE livecd's package list, it looks like they do, and Firefox as well

I think both are about as pure-kde as you can get, relatively speaking.

Comment

Sorry should have explained a bit more, for example if you install Firefox from the intrepid repo, by default it will install a lot of gnome (including synaptic at one stage) and when you open firefox the opening page will show a nice Ubuntu logo.

Part of the problem is that Kubuntu being a derivative of Ubuntu and having a completly different theme and logo. when major apps are "Ubuntoised" Kubuntu being the poor little derivative just get's what is given to them.

Distro's such as Suse and others where their theme and logo are consistent do not have this problem, whether you use KDE or Gnome either user will not fell like an afterthought.

I have always prefered KDE and with the direction and speed it's is now heading, I can see it becoming the dominent DE (imho). If this did happen it would make for an interesting decision at Ubuntu, would it then become a derivative of Kubuntu.

Anyway I will be using Kubuntu I'me sure for many happy years to come, I will just continue to use vanilla non KDE apps.

Kubuntu 10.10 64bit<br />KDE 4.5.3<br />Kernel: 2.6.35.22 generic<br />Nvidia Driver: 260.19.06<br />Dell Dimension 9200 - Core 2 Duo 6300 - 3GB Ram<br />Nvidia Geforce 7900GS<br /><br />Linux user since March 2004<br />Linux user #526793

Comment

Working...
        X