Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those interested in learning more about ArchLinux ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those interested in learning more about ArchLinux ...

For those interested in learning more about ArchLinux, but happen to be somewhat weary of its uber-simple-but-not-necessarily-easy-to-use installation CD (similar to Kubuntu's Alternate Install CD, but much more CLI and DIY oriented), the Chakra project has just released its first ALPHA-quality CD image (notice the emphasis?) that allows you to install Arch+KDEMod via a graphical installer named Tribe.

If you are unfamiliar with Arch, here is some information. It is a great distro, but you should know basically what you're doing before you play with it, because you configure everything yourself. Being a rolling release distro, Arch's philosophy is KISS; as such, you configure your system the way you want it ONCE, and unless you want to, never again (applications are updated whenever they are released, you never have to reinstall to get the latest version of software). It is very similar in that aspect to Gentoo, but is binary-, not source-based, while including the option to build everything from source. They also have what is called the AUR (Arch User Repository) that allows normal users to create scripts, or PKGBUILDs, that will build arch packages for applications that aren't yet included in the main repositories.

Arch is not a n00b-friendly distro, but is great for people, like me, who enjoy tinkering with their system and want to be as close to bleeding edge as is stably possible -- kinda' like people who prefer to work on their own car rather than taking it to a mechanic (which I do too, whenever I can). Not to worry, I still direct people to Kubuntu when telling them about Linux
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Re: For those interested in learning more about ArchLinux ...

Already downloaded and tried it on VirtualBox...
    As it says, there are some problems with display detect in VirtualBox...
    I'm a bit tempted to "jump the boat" when Chakra gets more stable...

I did try the Arch Linux, and if you take time and have an working computer by your side while installing it it's really easy and straight forward...
    Well I still had some problems, as the first time I was installing it I was in a bit of a hurry and didn't finish the install properly but the second time I took all the time I needed and ended up with "perfectly" working system...
    I'm only a bit disappointed that their mod is KDE3 only, The KDE4 is totally vanilla with only added front-ends for pacman and other stuff.
    but no "cool" look like the KDE3mod...
    I'm magnet for errors, problems and bugs...

Comment

I am very interested in a rolling release distro. Tried gentoo ages ago, but it was enough to scare me off

Have just finished downloading arch and giving it a go in virtualbox...
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

That looks interesting -- I've never played with Arch. Thanks integr8e!

@toad, if you're interested in rolling release distros, take a look at sidux:

http://www.sidux.com/index.html

Bunch of Germans -- you'll have no problem.

Seriously, I've been running it for a year on the same platform where I run Kubuntu. One or the other will always boot and run.

Comment

Dibl the man!

Sidux as well? Cool 8)

I'm getting somewhat tired of this six monthly spiel...

Mind you, no KDE4... I've been playing with so-called activities and what not. Pretty mind blowing. And I thought one hexahedral cuboid was enough to play with!

Arch is currently installing no probs on virtualbox, sidux is on there already. The former is more exciting 'cos its new, the latter I'd probably feel more comfortable with 'cos Debian is behind it.

This is going to be a fun Christmas
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Right - quick update following a special request (http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...6790#msg186790)

I've been happily using ArchLinux for the last 7 months or so. I have had three installs: one on my IBM T41, one 32-bit desktop install and a 64-bit install when I got a new mobo.

I once had a sort of serious problem in that I updated my desktop via ssh for about four weeks until it went dead on me (ArchLinux requires frequent updates). When I got home it wouldn't boot - somehow or other the initramfs got borked. I checked, thought, read and was up again in minutes.

What else to say? It is really very easy to install. Do not expect all the bells and whistles immediately - you want X? You need to install it and add the daemon to your boot up sequence. cups anyone? You need to install it and add the daemon to your boot up sequence (or not, as the case may be as on my laptop). You want cpufreq? Again, install and add the daemon. Arch's superb wiki will guide you through almost everything without hitches.

As for the forum - it is not a distro for a first timer. One is expected to at least search the wiki, forum and google before asking a question. Once that is done and one still hasn't got an answer, the pool of knowledge available via the forum is quite amazing. But beware, they don't like help vampires, which is quite different to this forum for example, where there are plenty of willing blood donors

It has different repos similar to Debian. But that is where the similarities end. Its package manager is second to none and the software is bang up to date. KDE for example is usually in the repos even before the official release date. At the time of writing I'm on the 2.6.30-5 kernel, openoffice 3.1.0-2, gcc 4.4.0-3 and qt 4.5.1-3 - you see, I'm conservative and have disabled the testing repo

Anyway, I can whole heartedly recommend it. As a user who feels reasonably comfortable on the command line and who is capable of reading a wiki and following the instructions contained therein I am probably no more than a bloody noob to most of the Arch community, but thanks to the great documentation I am more than capable of designing my own system. Anyway, they are a friendly bunch and don't care about one's level of proficiency as long as one doesn't ask dumb questions.

It is probably best to start off in a virtual environment, especially if one only has one box at one's disposal. One thing to note is that Arch apparently is quite slow in such a set up - but do not be deceived. Once it is on the hard disk proper it is lightning fast. So, put on your seat belt and enjoy

Comment

Thank you, Toad! So, put in other words, what do you find better in Arch? Or why would anyone (experienced) switch from Kubuntu. Speed? That could be, a lot of the Phoronix folks are running it. Or is it that you can control what you put in? OTOH, you can also do that in Kububuntu, starting from a minimal CLI install. Or is it that it stays current in everything?

Comment

The rolling release concept got me interested. I then had the choice between Sidux and Arch - Debian based stuff I already knew quite well - Arch I had never even heard of before. That made it a no brainer

I must say, I don't miss the six monthly release cycle ONE BIT! I still get the Kubuntu rss feed and problems with updating and stuff make me smile - not that others have that problem, but that I don't... And I've got the most up-to-date software out there. Can't argue with that

Comment

I'm glad to see you a happy toad

I just found this, it is pretty consistent with what you were saying:
                  http://phraktured.net/arch-way.html

Comment

I installed Arch on my Asus Eee PC a couple of months ago. The experience reminded me a bit of a type of toy that American boys used to love 50 years ago, called an "Erector Set". It was a wonderful box of bars, braces, pulleys, angles, screws, nuts, bolts, axles, and wheels that could be assembled in an infinite number of ways, to result in any kind of structure or machine you could imagine. Arch Linux is like that -- you have the kernel, the Grub booting stuff, the networking stuff, your choice of any posix-compliant X display system, any window decorator (or none), whatever packages you want --- kind of a "design your own" Linux system. I was mostly successful is setting up a Xfce desktop, with conky, on my Eee PC and I agree it is a wickedly fast booting system. Very good for netbooks, I would say. On the downside, it will test your mastery of Linux pretty hard. It was a learning experience ....

Comment

Rolling release is both a blessing and a curse.

It's a blessing because you get very up-to-date software and don't have to worry about large upgrades from release to release.

It's also a curse, because major changes are made alongside smaller upgrades, so you have to keep an eye on what you're upgrading (checking the website and actually reading what pacman tells you when upgrading). You also have to upgrade your installation regularly, if you leave it for a few months, chances are you cannot complete an upgrade anymore (due to the accumulated upgrades).

Personally I like the rolling release idea (and run kubuntu as a 'rolling release' as well, always sticking to the development version), but just a reminder that it is not 'all bliss'.

Comment

Rolling release is both a blessing and a curse.
                        You watched monk ?

You are, of course, dead right. I update at least twice a week and there is always something there. And yes, it is essential to read any warnings/hints thrown up by pacman during the process.

Personally I like the rolling release idea (and run kubuntu as a 'rolling release' as well, always sticking to the development version), but just a reminder that it is not 'all bliss'.
                        That I find very interesting! Why it never occurred to me I don't know (well I do, but self flagellation is not my thing). Can you expand? Which repos do you use when?

Comment

Originally posted by toad
                          That I find very interesting! Why it never occurred to me I don't know (well I do, but self flagellation is not my thing). Can you expand? Which repos do you use when?
                          Basically I switch to the next development repos immediately when a version is released. When jaunty was released, I switched to karmic repos, and when karmic is released I'll hop onto ludicrous llama (or whatever it is called).

Of course I can't really recommend this to anyone, devel versions are unstable and there usually is breakage left and right during the development cycle. But it is a great way to keep an eye on the development of new features, and I use other distributions on machines that I need running stable 24/7.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                            You know, someone could make a big splash with a Rubuntu: "rolling *buntu":

* You start with a barebone (graphical) install: ubuntu + icewm
                            * Add an automatic popup on first login after install, to choose kubuntu-desktop, ubuntu-desktop, xubuntu-desktop, edubuntu-desktop and such with one click
                            * Maintain a repo which is a "fairly stable" version of the dev branch

Of course this last part is the only difficult one, but it could be done in a smart way. For instance, givint more relevance to the backports project, and let this repo be a backported one. Whenever there is a new release, the rolling repo is the same as the official one, and by then next RC it should be pretty much the same as the development repo. Something like that. I realize it's not easy.

Comment

Wicked idea!

And BTW, the avatar thief is still among us - mine has been gone for a few months now :P

Comment

Working...
                              X