This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shut Down speed - Fast?

Since going to II 8.10, I've noticed a HUGE increase in the shut down process. This is evident both on my laptop and desktop. So, is this just me or did they really improve shut down that significantly?

Re: Shut Down speed - Fast?

Huh!

I dunno, generally, how it's performing, but I've had multiple occasions where it didn't shut down, at all -- I had to do the Alt-SysRq RSEIUB finger-dance to get it unstuck. But not in the past week or so, so maybe whatever that issue was is now fixed. I've never seen that behavior with any version of Kubuntu, previously.

p.s. -- it's not out of the question that the problem was caused by a video driver -- I installed the 180.11 Beta nNvidia driver at about the same time that the shutdown problem went away.

Comment

Hmmm. Interesting, but again this goes to show my poor English Mechanics. I was actually referring to this as a positive. On the Kubuntus prior to 8.10, I could always count on a certain time range for those to shut down. It gave me a chance, on the laptop anyway, to disconnect everything while it was shutting down and put them in the case. However, with 8.10, it shuts down so fast that I'm still packing the case and unplugging things when it shuts completely off. The past shutdowns to me were never really slow but this was surprising to me. I think that is great!

Comment

Yeah, it is fast.

Sometimes it asks for a pwd to unmount something for a sec or two & then shutsdown anyway. I suspect that they took a page out of Microsoft's book and went for a graceful crash-to-power-off ).

On the whole 8.10 seems to have brought a number of speed improvements. I think they also changed the pre-linking behaviour.

Comment

Working...
        X