This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving Kubuntu a try.

Coming from Gentoo and Slackware and trying dual and trio booting the buntus. I liked the install Kubuntu 8.10, quick and fairly painless. First time I have ever gotten any of the buntu's booted on my machine. Still working out a few bugs. Had to get pulse audio to run on my machine up and now getting ready to recompile my kernel so I can get dma access on my drives. Other than that everything went well, package managers function perfectly so far but KDE 4 is definitely going to take some getting used to. So far I would say its a good set-up, its even getting my wife to experiment with Linux a little bit (Thats the new kde 4.x.x.x.x + side lol). I think once I strip it down a bit I just might have to use it as my new default desktop ( If I can get the new KDE all figured out lol)

Re: Giving Kubuntu a try.

Haha, nice perspective. It will take KDE4 to a bit to get used to you, too :P.

Seriously, Kubuntu 8.10 is pretty slick (it boots faaaast here), but less functional than 8.04. It is a step in the right direction, but I think we'll need to wait for Kubuntu 9.04 to start enjoying the potential of KDE 4 unleashed ...

Comment

Yea. Was going easy on it. Its actually the best implementation ( Or at very least th one I liked best) for Kde 4.x I've seen yet although I haven't checked out Open-suse or done anything but very briefly test others. Functionality is not a big deal, I only enable what I want anyway so its not a problem and oddly enough have DISABLED over half of what is available on this release. Of course have changed most of the default install progs ( nothing wrong with them just a preference ) and compiled a few more from source.

Having a little trouble with either the video driver or KDE building a mosaic of previously cached screens during certain operations like logging out and starting and stopping some applications. Getting no errors though and it gives no serious problems, just looks a little bad.

My wife loves it though and may be putting a copy on her computer as well. If it gets her away from vista it would be awesome.

Comment

Cool! My whole fmily uses kubuntu. My first feeling when I tried the live CD was: CLEAN!!!!

Comment

what video drivers are you using ? what card is it ? ati/nvidia cards work well with envy ng drivers

hope this helps :-)

starwolf kde screenmaker

Comment

Working...
          X