Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Kubuntu lagging behind other KDE4 distros?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Kubuntu lagging behind other KDE4 distros?

Don't take this as flames or trolling, but as an constructive criticism of some sort.
    I had no internet connection on my Kubuntu for some time, but that's not really my point.
    But while I was on Windows I did tried some of other KDE4 distros on my VirtualBox.
    I tried Fedora, for which I heard that's even better than Ubuntu and
    I tried the "legend" of KDE OpenSuSE.
    I also tired Arch which is build it your self distro....
    And I noticed that Kubuntu is not really that special when compared to other distros.
    I think that Kubuntu should start to actively participate in KDE4 development.
    Thats why i proposed this:

But only comment I got was that this should be done from community, and that's why I'm writing this topic here.
    I think I really like Kubuntu, but there are less and less reasons why I shouldn't change to other distro.
    One big reson is apt and .deb, which are quite easy to use.

To conclude this topic (rant?) I would like to post the link to a possible candidate for best KDE4 distro in future:
    Project Chakra
    I think it's time that we the community lead Kubuntu so that on the end it will be the best KDE4 distro instead of any other.
    I would help but ATM I don't know how to program in any language, but learning Qt is on my to-do list.
    I'm magnet for errors, problems and bugs...

Re: Is Kubuntu lagging behind other KDE4 distros?

I feel the same way. An rpm based distro? I've been to rpm hell and found my way out again. Haven't tried one for yonks but things can only have improved.

As for KDE deb distros I reckon there is Sidux which is supposed to be very classy indeed. Not sure whether they have already integrated KDE4, but cutting edge as they are I'd bet some money on it.

Then there is Mint - don't really know much about it.

I don't know Arch at all.

But I reckon most of us would be comfortable with any old distro, some paths may change, some processes may change, but Linux (so far) has remained Linux. The reason why one stays with a particular distro is because a) it does the job b) one becomes part of a community, be it in your home town, as part of a forum, whatever.

I'd LOVE to be able to develop stuff but I have never ever come across any IT stuff in my entire life. Also, I wouldn't know where to look for Kubuntu developers let alone what their needs/wants/requirements are...

But well done for bringing this up, Primoz. Perhaps somebody will notice and start something.

There is talk on the new KDE forum about a fantastic project: little groups consisting of one experienced developer and a handful of hopefuls who together have a go at minor bugs. That way these "noobs" get introduced to proper procedures, can discuss different solutions and are guided by an old hand. Really, really cool. I just wish I knew C
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad
      There is talk on the new KDE forum about a fantastic project: little groups consisting of one experienced developer and a handful of hopefuls who together have a go at minor bugs. That way these "noobs" get introduced to proper procedures, can discuss different solutions and are guided by an old hand. Really, really cool. I just wish I knew C
      I would really like to see "adopt a Noob" (borowed term from Uncyclopedia) program in Kubuntu.
      So if there are any seasoned "devs" or at least some that have a grasp of what programming is I am ready to be adopted.
      But then again my knowledge is very limited. So if you like to teach and is not afraid to teach a total noob, for whom html and CSS are top of the span, who's only connection to IT learning was introduction to informatics (that I took least year on my faculty), please contact me...

I regret that I didn't took introduction to programming (in python) when I had a chance, because I didn't think python would do me any good.
      But anyway, I would really like to see more of things happening on Kubuntu more of community involvement.

Comment

I run sidux as my second OS. No, they're steering clear of KDE 4 until it is released into Debian Sid. But sidux is a very stable platform and so many users are installing downloaded KDE4 onto sidux, for fun (I guess :P ).

Project Chakra looks interesting -- I don't know anything about Arch. But it seems like *buntu has an existing "installed base" -- it may not be large but at least it exists. It may be better to start with a distribution that has some momentum. Although I know that "momentum" works both ways -- it works against slowing down and also against speeding up.

I'm not from Припять either!

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          I'm not from Припять either!
          LOL

Comment

So if there are any seasoned "devs" or at least some that have a grasp of what programming is I am ready to be adopted.
            Ditto, but for KDE you need at least basic knowledge of C. I have battled with python and bash and understand some rudimentary concepts but THAT IS IT. Shame really.

@ dibl

Careful with those comments or the devs will introduce a special "dibl bug" in the next release
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Careful with those comments or the devs will introduce a special "dibl bug" in the next release
              LOL -- it's a wonder I wasn't banned long ago! I just think Primoz has a very cool avatar, and I'm jealous -- I never thought of making one like that.

Comment

Well I googled a bit and found some intersting links (well they were the first specified, but still...).
                http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
                http://pepper.troll.no/s60prerelease...-learn-qt.html
                http://members.tripod.com/~johnt/c.html

I'll bookmark them and use them when "I'll have more time..."
                Recently everything that might demand more time than just few hours wasted on games and net is being postponed after I "graduate".
                Everything is like: "I'll do it after my "diploma"..."

Anyway hope something good will actually come from this topic...
                I really want to contribute to Kubuntu and to KDE...

Comment

primoz, send me a pm once you start on C if you want to - I'd be happy have a learning partner As my head is smoking at the moment I won't be able to start before January.

Comment

primoz, send me a pm once you start on C if you want to - I'd be happy have a learning partner As my head is smoking at the moment I won't be able to start before January.
                    Will do!

Also I found few other useful links:
                    https://edge.launchpad.net/~kubuntu-members
                    https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Meetings
                    Added link:
                    http://www.kde.org/getinvolved/

Maybe I should also propose the "adopt a noob" there.

Comment

Working...
                    X