This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just awful

It won't boot up even in safe graphics mode. What is the mode for if it won't boot up? Kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Other distros boot up with no problem or at least in a safe graphics mode. Kubuntu is going backwards.

Re: just awful

have you tried the safe mode and tried repairing the x server and if that didn't work try booting into gnome desktop (if its installed) if not boot to terminal and reinstall kde4?

CODE
    $ sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

After a couple of minutes (depending on your connection) and you will be prompted by the installer to select the login manager, either GDM (Gnome) or KDM (KDE). I've selected KDM as themes for this login manager are a bit more interesting.

Reboot the computer and at the login prompt, select Options / Sessions and pick KDE from the list. The rest is up to you. Enjoy!

Installing Xfce

Xfce is a very lightweight desktop environment, based on the Xfwm file manager. To install type the following command in a terminal:
    CODE
    $ sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

hope this helps :-)

Comment

I think Ubuntu is trying to get rid of the KDE version. It's so bad, I can't fathom that they seriously want to upkeep it.

The installer doesn't allow one to decide where to put grub?!? What a joke! >

I cannot even use grub commands. It's like my drive doesn't exist!

Comment

"The installer doesn't allow one to decide where to put grub?!? What a joke!"

The joke is your post.
        I have no clue what nonsense you are talking about here.
        Successfully triple-booting right & left with 8.10 here, and yes, the live CD installer lets you put GRUB wherever you wish, as it always has ...?

(Same old drill: Step 4:Manual partitioning ... Step 6: Advanced button at lower right, GRUB goes into ... (hdx,y))
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Exactly what I posted. When the installer went through the process and came to the grub step, it didn't stop to allow the user to configure. It installed it to the MBR I can only assume.

Now my system just boots up the 8.10 grub screen.

Comment

Let me try this another way:

"(Same old drill: Step 4:Manual partitioning ... Step 6: Advanced button at lower right, GRUB goes into ... (hdx,y))"

You do have to press the Advanced button in Step 6 (i.e., click on it with your mouse).
            I haven't tried an Ubuntu Live CD lately, but that's how it used to work also.

In any case, issue is moot. One fixes the boot after installation in most cases to suit him/herself, by re-installing GRUB at the command line (HD or Live CD), without reinstalling the OS.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

That's what I did. Sorry but I don't have a lot of experience with grub or especially using a dedicated grub partition although I've fixed a similar problem before. It was a while ago and I'm really rusty with the process.

I still say I didn't see a 'pause' in the install for configuring grub. Perhaps, my resolution is too large so that the options you're talking about was off the screen? At any rate, I think the installer should stay paused and not decide to resume. I insist, I didn't click or touch anything. I just noticed the installer text was displaying 'grub' content.

I followed the 're-install grub' from the grub partition to the MBR (from the grub page website). I assume the Kubuntu 8.10 installer installed grub to the root partition so that I got the bootloader directing grub from it?

So, now the major issue is the excessive, repetitive tearing across the screen. Didn't the latest Nvidia drivers get installed by default?

Comment

Btw, thanks, Qqmike, for your replies.

My system is halfway (on it's way) of being set up.

If I ever have to re-install, I'll keep a close eye on step 6 (setting up grub). I'm still not sure exactly what happened.

The 64-bit version has some issues with video but it's a lot better when one installs the proprietary drivers. I installed ver. 177 of the Nvidia drivers but KMix crashes when it completes. The resolution is correct and the tearing is gone. The only other issue I've seen is that there is some video glitches when you select OpenOffice and when you first click the 'K' KDE menu when you first boot up.

Comment

Working...
                X