This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kubuntu needs a more professional look

Actually I haven't seen that big a difference between the looks of Ubuntu and Kubuntu except for the choice of color. The Splash and Logos are very similar. At least to me. Really, I don't think any other OS is that much more fantastical.

Comment

As dibl said in Reply #6, personal taste. And how interesting how that varies.
      One reason I was attracted to Kubuntu was because I liked its look-and-feel.
      (Yeah, I know the graphics arts biz & principles--Ogilvy et al, got friends, have managed small ad projects for businesses, etc.)
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
        .... And how interesting how that varies.
        ....One reason I was attracted to Kubuntu was because I liked its look-and-feel.
        Agree and Agree. Also interesting just with KDE itself how that personal interest varies among Desktop Management interfaces. Then again that is choice.

Comment

This argument starts with the proposition that the devs, the users, or someone is on some kind of evangelical mission to convert users to linux or convince them of something. I'm a long-time linux user and I'm on no such mission. Don't think the vast majority of folks here are either. If you don't like it, don't use it. I will to continue to use it and support it financially and with my feedback. With that said, I agree with the original poster that the default ought to be a bit prettier and that Noia crap is a good example. Mind you that I would never use it. I go for the lightest/fastest I can find that is usable. As long as kubuntu provided an option to avoid the extra eye candy, I would be OK with it. I do think that would encourage more folks to try/use linux and as such may encourage more development that would benefit us all. I don't know about professional because I'm not one, but I agree that Vista is much more appealing. And no, I am not one of those command-line, lynx browser, why wasn't bbs good enough nitwits. Just interested in performance without constantly upgrading my hardware.

Comment

I would agree that, while the text "kubuntu" looks very good in my opinion, the logo pic is downright awful (yes, I could change it, yada, yada, yada, but the discussion here is about better defaults).

Comment

You mean the three people standing in a circle holding hands? But that symbolises this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(philosophy)

I reckon the earth would have to move before Mark Shuttleworth gets rid of that
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Bad link. About as annoying as Noia.

Comment

Originally posted by toad
                  You mean the three people standing in a circle holding hands? But that symbolises this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(philosophy)

I reckon the earth would have to move before Mark Shuttleworth gets rid of that
                  No, not the idea behind the logo, just that implementation with the bad "crystal" version of it. I really liked the flatter version that was out with feisty...

http://www.kubuntu.org.cn/images/feisty-release.png

Comment

OMG I think the Mythbuntu folks probably have the slickest looking branding and it is pretty simple. Here is an example:

http://bp0.blogger.com/_95-BHeta7y8/...h/ubiquity.png

Comment

Originally posted by lingenfr
                      OMG I think the Mythbuntu folks probably have the slickest looking branding and it is pretty simple. Here is an example:

http://bp0.blogger.com/_95-BHeta7y8/...h/ubiquity.png
                      I like that! Really!!

Comment

I agree with the title completely.
                        the other thing is what is professional look. I as social science student know that every one views reality differently and not two person share exactly the same ideas about one thing...
                        Anyway I personally use Arezzo theme for Plasma and I change wallpaper once in a while...
                        If I would get my internet working in my Kubuntu I would probably change my theme to Komunism, just because it's such a "fun" theme...

I also posted a similar topic on this forum: Is Kubuntu lagging behind other distros?
                        So I completely that Kubuntu needs more professional look which will differentiate Kubutnu from other KDE4 distros...
                        I'm magnet for errors, problems and bugs...

Comment

I've entered 8.10 just yesterday evening. I have done no customization at all (maybe in the next days, I don't know... for now the original theme has not bored me yet) but at the same moment it was starting, I said "Oh, wow, look the theme, is fantastic, black and gray, so elegant, so professional!!!" I was quite enthusiastic for the dark look so... are you REALLY referring to 8.10 or to an older version?
                          I had a 7.10 with a different theme (of course, black, dark, gray... I mean, you have understood ) and the default theme of 8.10 if far better!

Comment

Working...
                          X