This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu needs a more professional look

I really think that Canonical needs to employ a decent graphic design artist for the overall look especially the opening screens and the logo, does anyone else have some thoughts? The Kubuntu logo definitely needs a serious revamp.

Re: Kubuntu needs a more professional look

You fishing for a job

Have a look at www.kde-look.org - you might find something there you like. Personally I think usplash stinks, splashy is better, but plymouth is the way forward. The best, however, is no splash whatsoever at all...
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad
      The best, however, is no splash whatsoever at all...
      Purist!
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Actually, no I don't. There is plenty to choose from at KDE-look. You just have to learn to customize.

My current desktop (on Intrepid Ibex) looks better than anything I have seen from Apple (and, of course, MS).

Actually, I like the threesome design of the (K)ubuntu logo.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
        and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

You fishing for a job

Have a look at www.kde-look.org - you might find something there you like. Personally I think usplash stinks, splashy is better, but plymouth is the way forward. The best, however, is no splash whatsoever at all...
          I think that the logo is rubbish and amateurish, it could definitely use a revamp. I have tried different splash screens, which are an improvement, but there is a definite need for a more professional look to the default opening screens. As I already stated elsewhere Kubuntu needs tweaking to make it more acceptable to Joe Public, who just want to load it and use it without further customisation. Vista for all its faults does look great even if its performance leaves a lot to be desired. By the way, I feel that this also applies to things like Firefox which is not every exciting in its default mode. It only comes to life when it is reskinned with something like Extreme Noia. Maybe Canonical should employ Kongkeat Kuatrakull, the designer of Extreme Noia, to good effect.

Comment

"Looks are only skin deep."

Really, and just how much time do you believe is spent looking at the splash screen anyway? Are you referring to the Blue Curls image:
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tomp01

I think that the logo is rubbish and amateurish
              @tomp01, we need to work on getting you to express yourself openly.

Seriously, that stuff is purely a matter of personal taste, isn't it? And, btw, totally irrelevant to the functionality of the computer.

The best thing the devs can do is to provide the user the ability to customize the appearance of things, because there's no common standard of "professional" or "beautiful" or "sexy" or anything else, really. Personally, I don't want to look at the logo -- if I'm looking at the logo that means I'm waiting for the damned thing to boot, so I can use it. So the logo needs to disappear quickly, in my world view.

But, that's just another opinion, and we know how common those are!

Comment

If you were to receive a Ferrari Testarossa or a Lamborghini Diablo, but it came wrapped in crappy brown paper and twine, would you say "piece of cr#p" or would you remove the paper and twine and drive your shinny new sports car?

Comment

Extreme Noia - a well chosen name for an extremely annoying theme. Just goes to show
                  Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                    If you were to receive a Ferrari Testarossa or a Lamborghini Diablo, but it came wrapped in crappy brown paper and twine, would you say "piece of cr#p" or would you remove the paper and twine and drive your shinny new sports car?
                    I think people are missing the point, companies pay millions for rebranding in the certain knowledge that it can make a big difference to sales, otherwise why bother. I am a strong advocate of Kubuntu and I think that it is destined to be great but a few cosmetic, and to some no doubt unnecessary changes, wouldn't hurt.

Comment

Extreme Noia - a well chosen name for an extremely annoying theme. Just goes to show
                      It was only an example off the top of my head.

Comment

Yeah, but it just goes to show that one person's hell is another's heaven

Comment

"Looks are only skin deep."

Really, and just how much time do you believe is spent looking at the splash screen anyway? Are you referring to the Blue Curls image:
                          I am playing Devil's Advocate here, on behalf of potential users who are not very sophisticated but are willing to give it a try.

Comment

Yeah, but it just goes to show that one person's hell is another's heaven
                            Maybe they should employ the guy who designed Lancelot as he seems to have a good eye for visual design and simplicity.

Comment

The best, however, is no splash whatsoever at all...
                              Purist!
                              Well, I'm nosy. At least that way I see what is going on

Comment

Working...
                              X