Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the diifference between Linux Mint and Kubuntu?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is the diifference between Linux Mint and Kubuntu?

@ tomp1

They've also got a very friendly forum and you are closer to the developer(s). Who knows, you may even be able to influence the way it looks (after some serious contribution, goes without saying - got to earn your spurs first).

@ Qqmike

Well, after having failed to boot my system all morning thanks to grub2 I am going back to grub legacy... I had to chroot into it from a live CD, install grub again, update it and my main system is now booting - hooray!!! I also took the chance to change from a central /boot partition to the OS centric version.

Right, got to log into my desktop, good bye from the schlepptop
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

toad "Well, after having failed to boot my system all morning thanks to grub2 I am going back to grub legacy..."

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Simply mepis?
        Enjoy

Oh, and while you are at it, ask a really noobie question on the forum.

Mepis is certainly one of the most stable and user friendly distros. No question.

Before you go all the way have a good look at the forum.

Just to pick on this thread once more and especially what toad said. Make your own cd / usb and give it to your friends.

I gave one to a whole school in my area. They have all they need and it is simple. Multimedia, video, projectors control, etc.

Since toad brought up the subject, I suggest to him: give us a how-to "make your own kubuntu"
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
          Simply mepis?
          Enjoy

Since toad brought up the subject, I suggest to him: give us a how-to "make your own kubuntu"
          I personally have no problems setting up the restricted extras, I'm just questioning why you should need to when other distros have no qualms about supplying them out of the box. As I already said the MEPIS mantra is that it should be up and running in minutes, which sounds like an excellent philosophy to me.

Comment

Ha Fintan! Kommt Zeit, kommt Rat! Am just experimenting with Xnest so it is kind of a moving target. And I'm off for a week come tomorrow 8)

But on a more useful note - sorry about the hijack - I thought a good mounting howto is in order considering the amount of "can't access this" or "don't see that" posts at the mo.
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Dear tomp.
              No one hear is doubting the validity of your "mantra".

What many here are trying to get across is that different people have different philosophies and this applies especially to development teams you have goals, mostly only known to them.

As for kde orientated disrtros go kubuntu is not perfect. far from it. But this forum is very helpful.

The devs here do a great job most of the time. Some times they FU immensely. BUT they have an open ear.

Again, linux (any flavor) does not come preinstalled on 98% of the machines. If it did we would neither have driver nor codec issues.

Please go to joe blow and give him a vista or xp or osx cd /dvd and ask him to install his machine with all drivers, codecs, players, etc within 90 min.

By the way the only way to know which is best for you and your friends is to install mepis, knopppix, kubuntu, suse, pclinux on 10-12 machines. Compare HD recognition, Desktop interface, menu navigation, mutlimedia, and the forums. Then decide.

Every machine IS different

I have used mepis to a great extent. I Love its stability, hate its menu navigation and just don't like the rtfm attitude on the forum.

Sorry if this comes out as a rant but we are talkling in circles here and I just wanted to break the circle and find a productive level of communication.

Once more : ENJOY

EDIT: Have a good vacation or whatever

Where do you know german from? (Highjack )

4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by tomp01
                I'm just questioning why you should need to when other distros have no qualms about supplying them out of the box.
                Why can't I get a Big Mac at Burger King? There mantra is that I can "have it my way." Hey, they are both burgers, right?
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                  Dear tomp.
                  No one hear is doubting the validity of your "mantra".

What many here are trying to get across is that different people have different philosophies and this applies especially to development teams you have goals, mostly only known to them.

OK, I'm done. Thanks for the info on the MEPIS forum.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that about the MEPIS forum - I found a lot of help and cooperation there. It is true, however, that "noob" questions are often referred to the in-house wiki. I like that because it creates common ground.

I wish we had one here but haven't bugged anybody about it yet. Wouldn't want to replicate the Ubuntu one, just pure Kubuntu/KDE stuff.

Hm, gets me thinking: there is no point writing a decent mount howto - there must be an excellent one out there already! Any offers?

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that about the MEPIS forum - I found a lot of help and cooperation there. It is true, however, that "noob" questions are often referred to the in-house wiki. I like that because it creates common ground.
                      I did not mean to imply that the mepis forum is not helpful.

Sorry if it came across that way.

But I have made the experience that the level of noobie acceptance is not the same as here.
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Righty ho Fintan

Comment

I just finished downloading and burning the LiveCD of Mepis 7.0 and booting into it to see just how "out of the box" it is. It didn't detect my PCMCIA inserted Kingston 5GB HD (Kubuntu 8.10 does). It identified my Intel graphics chip and patched it for 1440x900 resolution during boot - saw the messages. But, when the desktop loaded, it wasn't at that resolution - 1280 x ? - and no option to set it to 1400x900. No sound, although to be fair, that's the same here with Kubuntu if I don't add the acpi=off kernel option in Grub. I had no network connection with Firefox, even though both my wireless and wired connections were reported as connected and showing data back and forth.

Not having a working network connection that the default browser would work with "out of the box" is a killer as far as I'm concerned. So, my opinion: Mepis 7.0 did not give me a happy "out of the box" experience. I'll stick with Kubuntu thank-you very much.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                          X