Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the diifference between Linux Mint and Kubuntu?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is the diifference between Linux Mint and Kubuntu?

Or am I STILL not getting you? If not, keep on plugging away
    Basically all I'm saying is that the install disk should at least have a link to a webpage like the one I posted where the info is in one place, not much to ask really is it? I recognise it has been made a lot easier than before but it could be made easier still without violating any licensing agreements. Of course, it does beg the question as to how Linux Mint are able to ship everything without worrying about such issues.

Comment

The major difference, above and beyond the restricted drivers issue which has been discussed here ad .... is the fact that linux mint is gnome based (like ubuntu) and the kde version is only supported by a handfull (i mean handfull) of developers and usually lags about 1-2 months behind the kubuntu release.

Plus, and this is important to me, I just don't like their forum.

Yes I know, the ideal would be never to have to have a forum for problems. But that OS does not exist. Not even the best one in the world (our "brain")

I di like their artwork from boot to login though
      This is something *ubuntu seriously needs work on
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I've just been on their website and it appears they use gfxboot and splashy - it does look nice

Okay, back to rebuilding although I have do remember problems with gfxboot... How is GRUB2 coming along, Qqmike?

As for the forum: it cannot be as bad as the Debian one
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
          The major difference, above and beyond the restricted drivers issue which has been discussed here ad .... is the fact that linux mint is gnome based (like ubuntu) and the kde version is only supported by a handfull (i mean handfull) of developers and usually lags about 1-2 months behind the kubuntu release.

Plus, and this is important to me, I just don't like their forum.

Yes I know, the ideal would be never to have to have a forum for problems. But that OS does not exist. Not even the best one in the world (our "brain")

I di like their artwork from boot to login though
          This is something *ubuntu seriously needs work on
          Sorry if you think I've been banging on about it but I care about Kubuntu becoming more popular and anything that helps do that has got to be good. The only reason I mentioned Mint is that I heard it was based on Kubuntu and that they provide all the restricted stuff out of the box. I'll get off my soapbox now.

Comment

Originally posted by toad
            I've just been on their website and it appears they use gfxboot and splashy - it does look nice

Okay, back to rebuilding although I have do remember problems with gfxboot... How is GRUB2 coming along, Qqmike?

As for the forum: it cannot be as bad as the Debian one
            The Debian forum has some of the rudest unpleasant people you could encounter, this forum is a haven compared to them.

Comment

Sorry,, I didn't want to hijack this but:
              Sorry if you think I've been banging on about it but I care about Kubuntu becoming more popular and anything that helps do that has got to be good.
              I totally agree. No discussion. As toad already pointed out. This is a Canonical philosophy thing.
              Besides it is just as easy to get mediabuntu and it is supported thoughout upgrades, which automatix, etc. isn't.

I have never installed one windows or OSX system where all codecs are there out of the box. They come preinstalled by the oem / retailer.

With with more and more companies (Dell, HP, etc) selling linux boxes this issue goes away when you buy the box.

I agree with toad. If you want to spread the kubuntu wealth, make your own cd /usb stick the way you want it. I do that as well. Then again we here in Switzerland don't have those Neanderthal licensing issues

Open source is great isn't it
              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Sorry,, I didn't want to hijack this but:
                Sorry if you think I've been banging on about it but I care about Kubuntu becoming more popular and anything that helps do that has got to be good.
                I totally agree. No discussion. As toad already pointed out. This is a Canonical philosophy thing.
                Besides it is just as easy to get mediabuntu and it is supported thoughout upgrades, which automatix, etc. isn't.

I agree, but it's like anything it only easy when you know where to look. If this wasn't the case then Ultamatix etc. wouldn't exist would they?

Comment

@ toad ... I haven't looked at GRUB2 for maybe 6 months or more; at that time, it was all pretty cryptic stuff and I couldn't get anything to work right. I've been short on time for research and messing, so am a couple months behind everything here. That might be a good thing to look into today or tomorrow for me ...

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I have never installed one windows or OSX system where all codecs are there out of the box. They come preinstalled by the oem / retailer.
                    Hear, hear! I am not even aware of any programs coming with windows apart from media player, Indecent Exposure, hearts and mines (the highlight, yes, I'm serious), some basic drawing utility and a bunch of stuff that works for 30 days only.

tomp01 does have a point though - the easier it is, i.e. the more people can do it without having to think about it, the better. *ubuntu and their success is all the proof one ever needs. Indeed, the same could be said for windows a long, long time ago.

@ Qqmike

Same here I was only checking whether you were still alive - didn't mean to goad you into something
                    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

toad, yes, still kicking here; I actually DID get to spend a couple hours in 8.10 yesterday, poking around, so there's hope!
                      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Apart from Linux Mint, I just discovered that PCLinuxOS and gOS come with codecs etc. preinstalled.

Comment

Originally posted by tomp01

Apart from Linux Mint, I just discovered that PCLinuxOS and gOS come with codecs etc. preinstalled.
                          As Columbo used to say, just one more thing. Would it be so terrible if Kubuntu became known as the distro where everything worked straight out of the box with minimal tweaking. Now that would really give Bill Gates sleepless nights!

Comment

@ toad GRUB2
                            still not much out there that's solid and readable;
                            one could, easily, get GRUB2 and experiment, trial and error, comparing the new to the old, and so on; but that would take some work and time;

Best stuff I could find might be:
                            http://flossexperiences.wordpress.co...nty-and-grub2/
                            http://www.techenclave.com/guides-an...ion-92883.html
                            http://wordpress.com/tag/grub2/

Looks like about the same stuff I tried several months ago, with mixed results, some success booting, some unsolved issues; YMMV; doesn't look like there's much activity with GRUB2? when they do get it for prime time, I hope--as always with Linux--that someone does a halfway decent job with the documentation (witness KDE 4 as a negative example of such);

Comment

@ Qqmike

I just realised that there is some heavy hijacking going on

Thanks a ton for the links and I'll shut up about it now!

Comment

Originally posted by tomp01

I just went on to the Simply Mepis website and this said it all for me. I will have to give it a try.

SimplyMEPIS just works! It is pre-configured for simplicity and ease of use, and you will be productive in a matter of minutes, even if this is your first try with Linux

Comment

Working...
                                X