Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the diifference between Linux Mint and Kubuntu?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the diifference between Linux Mint and Kubuntu?

I've read that Linux Mint is Kubuntu with all the restricted stuff as standard, has anybody here tried it?
    Which begs the question why can't the restricted stuff be installed into Kubuntu by just answering a simple question during the installation process. I believe something like that would make life so much easier for the newbies out there. Any thoughts?

Re: What is the diifference between Linux Mint and Kubuntu?

*ubuntu chooses to not include 'by default' any 'non-open source' packages. But holding to the ideal of "it's the users choice," these packages can be gotten and installed. Yes, it makes it "not as simple" for newbies, but that's just the philosophy of Canonical (not to make things harder, but to create distros using open-source resources).
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      *ubuntu chooses to not include 'by default' any 'non-open source' packages. But holding to the ideal of "it's the users choice," these packages can be gotten and installed. Yes, it makes it "not as simple" for newbies, but that's just the philosophy of Canonical (not to make things harder, but to create distros using open-source resources).
      Well surely they can do both, make it simple to update and supply a 100% open source iso package. I want Kubuntu to become a serious contender to Vista and I believe that would a major factor in winning people over.

Comment

Originally posted by tomp01
        Well surely they can do both,
        Yes, they could, but that isn't Canonical's philosophy.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          Yes, they could, but that isn't Canonical's philosophy.
          Have you tried Linux Mint?

Comment

Yes, for just a few minutes, from a LiveCD. I didn't care for it.

Comment

Why wait for them to do it? You can do it yourself.

As luck would have it I have just cooked myself a Kubuntu 8.04 with skype, java, fonts, medibuntu stuff and some games. Put on top of that a beautifully customised KDE to create your own distro (just change usplash, grub and kdm images) and all that below 1GB, meaning it is small enough to put on a 1GB install/live stick

You do not have to adhere to Canonical (just as they don't adhere to Debian). It is all perfectly legal depending on the licenses in your country.

On a different note, Canonical sell codecs to keep everybody happy (well, not everybody, only those kill-all let's-sue-the-arse-off-the-small-competition Microsoft/USA patent laws), check their online shop.
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I thought standard *ubuntu wasn't ALL open source, but rather like toad said, didn't include some codecs and the like that are not legal everywhere... most of the wireless modules are not open source, correct?

Edit: Gobuntu is the totally free and open source variant.

Comment

Originally posted by toad

Why wait for them to do it? You can do it yourself.

The point I am making is that if Linux Mint can come with all the restricted stuff installed, why can't Canonical at least make the process easier for the new guy with Kubuntu? This is the reason that people are tempted to use Ultamatix rather than the repositories and Medibuntu, I want Joe Public to use Kubuntu and this would be a step nearer to making that happen. I do my best to spread the word around and I find that new users all have the same problem, not everybody wants to go onto forums to get the answers.

Comment

@ kjjjjshab

Thanks for mentioning Gobuntu - I noticed them only when Stephen Fry referred to them on GNU's 25th anniversary

@ tomp01

Canonical has already done a lot for the noob, simply amazing. I for one don't blame them for not wanting to tread on anybody's toes. As I said: they do offer proprietary codecs for sale on their website so anyone can go and pay their €30 and be done with it.

Alternatively, this is open source and you can cook up whatever you like, give it to your friends who will think you are at least a demi god

Over and out.
                    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Alternatively, this is open source and you can cook up whatever you like, give it to your friends who will think you are at least a demi god

Over and out.
                      At work I have convinced several people to use Kubuntu and showed them how to set up codecs, Flash, fonts, Medibuntu etc.

Comment

Way to go, tomp01

Comment

Way to go, tomp01
                          Looks like I'm not the only one that has been thinking about this, I think the easiest thing would be a link that details the steps needed to include extras whilst installing Kubuntu.

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/316/

Comment

Way to go, tomp01
                            Looks like I'm not the only one that has been thinking about this, I think the easiest thing would be a link that details the steps needed to include extras whilst installing Kubuntu.

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/316/
                            Something like this maybe?

http://appnr.com/package/kubuntu-restricted-extras

Comment

Ubuntu cannot legally incorporate a feature to "manage" restricted formats such as mp3, mpeg, etc etc. In order for them to do this they would have to pay for licenses which translates to us paying for an operating system. Afterall, the Ubuntu website does a great job of instructing exactly how to add the medibuntu repositories to your source list. I knew nothing about the terminal when I first switched to Ubuntu and the website instructions were so clear that after twenty minutes I was playing my mp3 library through totem.
                              This is taken from one of those links you posted and expresses perfectly what I meant.

There is, of course, kubextra and automatix and at least a dozen other tools and even on the brainstorm this issue is marked as solved by the easy-codec-installation function (whatever that is).

It all comes down to: If you want any of those on the install CD you've got to cook your own for reasons stated above.

Or am I STILL not getting you? If not, keep on plugging away

Comment

Working...
                              X