This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: open Suse vs Kubuntu Intrepid

I'd forgotten about that website. It makes it convenient to send a google search to someone and know that they will get it right...
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce
      Dude I have googled to no end, and have already tried what you suggest, but just to make you feel better I did it again. It had no effect, it's still "broken"

Here is some googling for you.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=don%27t+be+a+smart+ass
      For this smart arse plymouth ain't broke.......... 8)

Maybe you're better off with Suse after all..............
      Kubuntu 10.04

Comment

I was going to install synaptic, but it wanted to install 39 gnome based apps/libraries. I backed out when I saw that.

I don't do the ugly foot, I don't want the ugly foot, and I won't install 39 ugly foot packages
        Whilst it's not being developed any more, adept is still available. It's a lot better than kpackagekit.

Comment

But that is exactly the point I was making when I said package management is a mess.

I really wasn't looking for help as this isn't a help section I was just merely commenting on the mess that all the different package managers are.

They simply need to implement a better way of doing things, stick with one method and improve it so that it works, works the way a person would expect, and do it without requiring the user to figure out which the 6 different ways works better.
          Using Linux since 1999<br />Current system openSUSE 11.3 <br />Toshiba A505-S6035<br />Intel core i7, Nvidia 300m GT<br />4 gigs of DDR3, SATA 500 gig 7200 rpm hard drive

Comment

But that is exactly the point I was making when I said package management is a mess.

I really wasn't looking for help as this isn't a help section I was just merely commenting on the mess that all the different package managers are.

They simply need to implement a better way of doing things, stick with one method and improve it so that it works, works the way a person would expect, and do it without requiring the user to figure out which the 6 different ways works better.
            They don't, apt-get is the killer (aptitude works of course just as well as long you are are not on sidux in which case it'll break your system). But you do have a point - I liked the old adept which was subsequently "improved". Unfortunately only the developer himself understood what he was doing

Personally I can't abide synaptic and work on nothing but the command line when running a debian based system on virtualbox (reminds me, better update mint again...).
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad
              ... apt-get is the killer ...
              VERY GOOD it is, but if your memory works like mine it is nearly impossible to remember all the switches and their parameters. I have a hard time using Apt-Get to search for a package whose name I am not sure of. (Or is it Apt-Search ??)

Personally I can't abide synaptic and work on nothing but the command line when running a debian based system on virtualbox (reminds me, better update mint again...).
              I'm on the other side of that coin. I PREFER Synaptic to any other package manager because it allows me to manage packages the way I like to do it, it is easy to use, easy to search for packages with, easy to add or remove repositories, and there is an excellent history db for keeping track of exactly when and what I added or removed.

When my mind begins to get confused running Synaptic then I'll know that is the time to give my notebook to someone who can use it. It will be a day.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Synaptic is for us geezers!

Please Read Me

Comment

I resemble that remark!

Comment

Originally posted by toad
                    They don't, apt-get is the killer (aptitude works of course just as well as long you are are not on sidux in which case it'll break your system). But you do have a point - I liked the old adept which was subsequently "improved". Unfortunately only the developer himself understood what he was doing
                    It ought to be noted that upgrades using aptitude are not supported on Kubuntu or Ubuntu. Meaning, if you do exhaustive software upgrades, aptitude might try to remove half your system in the process because the relationships (dependencies) across packages have not been sanitized to work in favor of aptitude's dependency resolver. The development team only tests updates using the APT resolver (which is used across more applications). So just watch out that it does not eat your system, otherwise you should be fine

Regarding the susequent improvement, indeed Adept had problems with the maintainability of code. It really was just one developer and no one else could have even thought about working on it without first spending a substantial amount of time on understanding the code.

It is being worked on adequat solutions for this long standing issue but it is a very difficult area to work in (due to complexibility and lack of documentation mostly), so progress has been slower than we anticipated. We are however trying to introduce persistent quality in our package managers, actually via two different approaches.
                    First there is KPackageKit, which is really part of a larger framework called packagekit. It is meant to work on any distribution neverminding what package management system etc. as long as there is a plugin for packagekit available. The advantage here is that instead of having one distribution contribute to the quality of the product there are various. For example a lot of the work on the internals is also done by Fedora. Currently there are still some problems, because both softwares are quite "new" but we are getting there.
                    Second Jonathan Thomas, a fellow developer, is currently creating the essential basics to make writing KDE and Qt package manager frontends A LOT easier by introducing a central component that can interact with APT and everything else just interacts with that central component. This should soon be used to replace the install-package application (that is the thing that is used to install Firefox using the Installer in the menu, or the multimedia packages for Amarok). And should it become necessary we could build a Kubuntu specific package manager based on what is already there.

So I am optimistic to get a proper package manger some time
                    apachelogger, Kubuntu Core Developer and Master of the Minions.

Comment

Now that it's gone public, I can say that this was what Harald was talking about in the previous post.

It should help improve the situation greatly once it matures.

Comment

Working...
                      X