X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

radio show

Right,

I was bored. So I wrote the local radio station and suggested a bi-weekly slot on Linux - with all the security concerns and money probs at the mo, bla bla bla...

To my utter dismay they came back and said that it was a grand idea :-X

Now the question - have you ever done anything like this before? What would/do you cover?

ANY ideas are welcome 'cos I'm ****ting me pants
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Re: radio show

ROFLMAO !

Yes, there have been times in my life that i wished i'd kept my trap shut.

Good Luck.

Comment

Ha! Good luck. Panics-ville all the way.

or, like this:
      http://badvista.fsf.org/

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

That's a great link, Qqmike! Nice and scary and a good starter.

Aged Hippy - please get up off the floor again and let me know whether you have come across anything cool Time to open that trap again
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

There is no harm in copying other peoples' ideas. Have a look at http://thelinuxlink.net/
          "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Do you mean you'll actually be presenting it or will you do the research, and pass 'interesting' bits along to a word-jockey?

One site you may be interested in is The Register, they're not exactly in love with dear Billy-boy.

That's a handy link, arochester.

Comment

Cheers arochester - I know that link, even listen to a couple of podcasts every now and then. That is what gave me that stupid idea in the first place!

Well, AH - I see you're back on that chair. Thanks very much for the link. Will check it out!

Comment

Does the station have streaming? I would like to listen, tell us where and when.

Comment

Streaming? Nope! They haven't even got a website!!! And the whole thing is going to be in German Fintan might want to pop over to Munich, but then again...

Comment

Danke. I'm a long way from Munich. Haven't been there in thirty years. Good luck with your show. Podcast?

Comment

Yep, a loooong way. Bet you wouldn't mind a drop of Munich's finest every now and then

As for podcasts - I think they have an internal database where I can nick stuff like good music, etc. Time will tell.

In the meantime I'm still ****ting myself...

Comment

oh wow

brill

rightey cokey

why not start with a small session about you and what you use your pc for now...and what you used it before with windows..how you find them..why you changed ( unless you never used it)

another would be to start with some basic problems that people get...pop ups virus..spam..illegal software etc..or how to turn around a crappy old pc with a new system

Suggest a small package that is easy peasy to use that would get people on to the web for free...with maybe a little email etc

Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

Cheers Andy,

must ... not ... panic ...

Your post helped, ta. Seems like I get a few five minute spots to advertise "the real thing". Cor blimey.

So the evil B&B of the dark empire, cybercrime and the like to get people started. And the real thing? Well, perhaps an intro on open source philosophy (one for all, all for one kind of thing, Robin Hood, bla bla bla), rekindle old hardware, safety aspects and the like, and a question and answer session. I bet the phone won't even ring once!

And what do you mean by
                          a small package that is easy peasy to use that would get people on to the web for free
                          Ha! Every caller could get a copy of 8.04 with a ton of games, skype, etc remastered by yours truly. Any suggestions for a good list of programs to be included?

BTW, thanks for all your help/encouragement/derision I'll be sure to mention it!

Comment

Well if it was me I would leave out anything fancy.
                            Say 'look. I can give you a new/modern ie written this year, updateable set of software that will get you on the web, so you can communicate, buy things, hear and see things share things etc....Also perhaps make sure they could have an iso that did updating autumatically.......and you know what..no games!..i dunno abou tgames to be honest ...never use them anymore...I get all my kicks buggering about with this bloody pc here!

So

A firefox, open office, konqueror, kontact, amarok (with mp3 sorted), kde based system with a picture thingy (picaso type affair), gxine, skype...etc

It is all I tend to use so I know little else
                            Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

Okay, the editorial meeting was last night and the radio show has been sanctioned by the high and mighty. All systems go...

The format has changed somewhat and I will be able to do most of it at home 8)

Question for those in the know:

1) are there any good microphones out there which are recommended for radio use?
                              2) would you recommend any software other than audacity (which I am currently planning on using for cutting, etc.)?

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X