Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu/KDE be the default more advertised distro?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu/KDE be the default more advertised distro?

Hi,

I think it's unfair that some people have to suffer with Gnome only because they don't know that KDE exists. I have opened a brainstorm idea to change this - vote it up!.

It has already got negative votes from Gnome people, because I first posted about it on ubuntuforums. Heh, I didn't know that kubuntuforums exist!

Re: Kubuntu/KDE be the default more advertised distro?

My own opinion is that i think it's unfair that people have to struggle with Gnome and KDE when there is also Xfce available. :P

Xfce ought to be more widely advertised, i think, as it certainly runs faster on this particular machine -- which, to be fair, was put together by a cobbler.

Comment

Originally posted by aged hippy
      My own opinion is that i think it's unfair that people have to struggle with Gnome and KDE when there is also Xfce available. :P
      I am using XFCE. I really like it. And all of my KDE and Gnome programs seem to run just fine with it. It is faster, even on a machine perfectly capable of running full blown KDE or Gnome. The only drawback is, that I have been unable to find a decent forum like this one for XFCE, which, since I also run Kubuntu. is why I hang out here.

Comment

I don't wish to hi-jack this Topic, but the only things that i miss with Xfce are the ability to make the panels transparent, and -- especially -- the sound effects.

It certainly runs as fast as a hungry lurcher.

I wonder, if we were to speak nicely to claydoh he would set up a Forum for those of us who use Ubuntu as the base, but use different desktop environments?

There are a multitude of Gnome Forums, but - as you say - decent Forums for Xfce are about as common as hens' teeth.

Comment

Is the existing Kubuntu Forums | Kubuntu Discussion | Desktop Support | XFCE Environment Help board here not sufficient?
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

heheheh.

Indeed I don't see a xubuntuforums.net website.... That's unfair too.

Comment

To me, yes the XFCE portion of this board serves my purposes, and thanks to the board for including it.

Comment

Originally posted by aged hippy
                I don't wish to hi-jack this Topic, but the only things that i miss with Xfce are the ability to make the panels transparent, and -- especially -- the sound effects.
                Easy to make the panels transparent. Just right click on the panel and select "Customize Panel" and slide the transparency to wherever you like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                  Is the existing Kubuntu Forums | Kubuntu Discussion | Desktop Support | XFCE Environment Help board here not sufficient?
                  If i could find my glasses, i'd put them on.

I've never come across that part of the Forums, Snowhog, perhaps i ought to broaden my horizons.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                    Easy to make the panels transparent. Just right click on the panel and select "Customize Panel" and slide the transparency to wherever you like it.
                    Thank You, very much indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by cosurgi
                      Hi,

I think it's unfair that some people have to suffer with Gnome only because they don't know that KDE exists. I have opened a brainstorm idea to change this - vote it up!.

It has already got negative votes from Gnome people, because I first posted about it on ubuntuforums. Heh, I didn't know that kubuntuforums exist!
                      Sorry, I voted it down, you can see my comment at the brainstorm page.

Comment

XFCE? No love for Fluxbox? :P no seriously though, most KDE or Gnome apps run perfectly fine in it but it's years lighter as an environment than anything like XFCE (or KDE or Gnome) could ever hope . . . and of course that isn't a diss of them, they aren't aiming to be Fluxbox-level stripped down, but for ancient machines it's the way to go. Although I never run far from KDE; last decaying laptop I had barebones-(k)ubuntu on I used KNetworkManager for the wireless, heh.

Comment

OK, one day soon when I have some time, I'll give Fluxbox a try.

Comment

Working...
                          X