X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't open this web site (SOLVED)

Hello Everybody,

I have never been able to open this web site using Kubuntu, and have been trying since Edgy Eft, now with v8.04 still can't. Not with Firefox or Konqueror. The site is

www ltmuseum.co.uk

If there is anyone with a spare 30 seconds could you try it? I think it is the site rather than the browser. I did try sending a message to webmaster there but it bounced.

In case you are wondering it is the London Transport Museum web site, I have a penchant for the Underground (Tube) system.

Cheers

Roy

Re: Can't open this web site

Hi

Here, Konqueror v 4.1.00 Intrepid Ibex, no problems. http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/ is opening.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

It opened right away for me in Firefox. What error message do you get when you try to open the page?

Comment

This is what I get from FireFox:

Code:
        The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.

Edit: Tried again and this time it opened.

Comment

No problems here, either in Konqueror or Firefox-2 in HH 8.04.
          (Three out of four times, It did take awhile to load, like 10-15 seconds.)
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I'm thinking the OP must have some kind of blocking software installed such as the Adblock extension for Firefox, and somehow this domain is getting blocked. Or his ISP has blacklisted this site for some reason.

Comment

Re: Can't open this web site (SOLVED)

Thanks everybody.

Following your replies and your success with the site I looked at the configuration settings in Konqueror. Under Browser Identification the only check box ticked was "Add Operating System Name". Unchecking this box brought no result so I went the other way and rechecked it together with add platform name | machine (processor type) | language information. I then closed Konqueror and reloaded it and tried again. Hey presto got the site up.

I have had a look at Firefox and cannot see any similar settings there so will have to enquire on their forum but it seems a good indicator that that was the problem.

Bearing in mind that www.ltmuseum is effectively a UK government site they will want to collect as much data on its citizens as possible hence the requirement to have all this browser guff.

Thanks guys

Roy

Comment

Working...
              X