This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma now runs on Windows!!!

Needed to boot windows yesterday, so i updated my kde on windows packages, and there it was... PLASMA! Heck, I had more widgets available to me on windows than i do with 4.1 kubuntu hardy!

OK, so it really isn't an option to use on a daily basis or anything, but still fun to play with!

Re: Plasma now runs on Windows!!!

Thanks for that info! I haven't looked at KDE4 for Window$ since the release of KDE4.1. I'll download today and check it out.

Comment

I run the MSVC (or whatever it is...) version... and I think you need to use the experimental repository (it is last in the list) instead of any of the regional one. Then, in /bin you'll find plasma.exe, just run and play!

The K menu wouldn't work, so i still had to run programs from the start menu... and a second panel wouldn't populate with widgets, so definitely some rough edges, but like i said, it's just sweeeeet to see and play.

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab
        I run the MSVC (or whatever it is...) version... and I think you need to use the experimental repository (it is last in the list) instead of any of the regional one. Then, in /bin you'll find plasma.exe, just run and play!
        Thanks! Needed to know that!

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
          Thanks! Needed to know that!
          If you are just getting started with it for the first time, you need to know much more...

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDE...s/Installation

That shows what environment variables need to be set, etc.

And also, I didn't see these steps on teh page above, but perhaps they are no longer necessary:

Be sure that you have no KDE-related applications: run the Windows Task Manager (taskmgr.exe), switch to its Processes tab, and kill all occurences of dbus-daemon.exe, kded4.exe, kioslave.exe and klauncher.exe (and all other KDE apps).

Open a Windows command prompt (cmd.exe) and navigate to the directory where you installed KDE. Say you installed KDE to C:\KDE4, then run from the cmd.exe window:

C:\KDE4> bin\update-mime-database C:\KDE4\share\mime

This will give you a lot of warning message. Most of them you can easily ignore; even if you should set XDG_DATA_HOME or XDG_DATA_DIRS it worked perfectly. If it says you should rerun update-mime-database as root then you're not within your installation directory.
          [edit] Run kbuildsyscoca4

After finishing the previous step, run

C:\KDE4> bin\kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental

If this tells you that your disk is full (which is most probably not the case) you have still some executables from KDE running. Please close them and try again.

Changing compiler type is not possible when install root is changed to a location where no packages are installed
          -> run 'del "%APPDATA%\kde\installer.ini" ' on command line and restart installer

And, of course, this is all just hacked together, which is ok since i assume you don't care if you need to completely start over... I had to a number of times to get things running correctly!

Comment

Thanks for that link. When I get a chance, I'll look further into that. I've never read that before. I've just been using the installer and going to the BIN directory to run things.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
              ...I've just been using the installer and going to the BIN directory to run things.
              Be sure and get the latest installer... perhaps you need that one to get the experimental repo... i think i use 0.9.2... I'll post the exact repo if i ever get back that windows box started up again.

It is kinda cool that (besides the windows taskbar) the only thing that paints on the plasma desktop is yahoo widgets.

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab
                ... I'll post the exact repo if i ever get back that windows box started up again...
                Plasma for windows repo It is still the last in the list of repos for my 0.9.2 installer.

Comment

I really haven't had a chance to get back to this. Hopefully soon.

Comment

I saw a blurb somewhere that someone made a plasmoid to access the Windows Start Menu... so that would be pretty sweet... again, just to play around with... it would be quite sometime before i would use that on a "production" machine. Might be a nice/fun alternative though for my wife's new [proposed] notebook that she is locked into Windows for work...

Comment

Oh WOW!!! That is so cool. I've got plasma running with a few plasmoids. Still a few bugs, but way cool!!

Comment

Working...
                      X