X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KDE 3.5.9 Vs. KDE 4.1

Originally posted by pansz

KDE 4.1 might not be a good choice now. I have a Celeron D 2.8GHz with 512M DDR and i915 display (note this is intel, not nvidia), which runs KDE 4.1 with unacceptable performance for scrolling both in Firefox and Konqueror. Yes this might be a problem of the driver, or Qt 4.x. But KDE4 is suffering from that and nvidia users are not the only users who suffered from the issue.
    I am running a P4-M 2.0 with 1GB ram and 32mb ati mobility 7500 graphics (from 2002 or 2003) and my performance is quite nice, even with kwin effects enabled. This is my main system running Intrepid. I just installed Hardy kde3 (as an exercise in setting up and dual-booting the Kubuntus without access to a cd/dvd burner) and I am finding KDE4 in the Ibex much snappier than KDE3 in the Heron.

If we must compare KDE 3.5.9 to KDE 4.1.0, I would say KDE 3.5.9 is the choice. I choose KDE over GNOME mainly because KDE is more feature rich than GNOME. However, KDE 4.1.0 lacks many features in KDE 3.5.9, so if I can live with KDE4.1 I think I could also live with GNOME.

Lets wait until KDE 4.2 or KDE 4.3, I think the time when most KDE 3.5.9 features are migrated into KDE4 is the time I will use KDE4 as my main working desktop.

For now, KDE4.1 has great fun to play with, that's all. Don't blame KDE4.1 , the developers had said that KDE4.1 is for early adopters, not for everyone.
    Luckily, as Fintan noted, KDE4 is adding functionality etc much quicker than they did in KDE3. This is mostly due to the fact that a lot of the features we have in KDE3.5.x didn't even exist in KDE2x. and with then-new concepts like kio-slaves, many novel ideas were developed into the KDE3.5.x we all have come to love.

Most of us did not stick to kde2 (or switch to Gnome in droves) until just recently, and I hope more will use KDE4 and make it better. But if they don't, I won't be too bothered by it. I have become quite confident that KDE4 is going on the right track and will continue to blow our minds

Comment

Man, it is like night and day

4.1 is miles above 4.0 in terms of stability and reliability, though the ad-nauseum gripes about missing functionalities from KDE3 still apply. But as 4.2 will be available to Kubuntu users just as KDE3x updates have been, the wait won't be long for new options and configurations

Comment

It seems that KDE4 guys are now too busy to notice most bug reports, even if my bug report may contain a patch.

Well, I'll stop submitting bug reports to KDE team then, I'll submit bug report to ubuntu launchpad since ubuntu treat bug reports much more responsively.

Comment

A link to your bug report might be good to look at.

Definitely post a launchpad bug for whatever it is is a good idea.
          There are a number of Kubuntu devs who seem to be going wild in triaging and commenting on KDE related bugs, as well as fixing them when they can. Also, I have seen a few instances where the launchpad bug report either creates a relevant kde.org report, or links to an existing one. This causes a bit more traffic over to the upstream end if the problem is theirs (as opposed to a kubuntu-specific packaging issue)

Comment

When Linux first came out, I guess there were problems all around - that's why Linus Torvald attracted a lot of people to write up on the kernel and slowly delete the bugs and improve the OS till it became as it is today.

All new things have problems (babies pee everywhere), so it is with KDE 4. Eventually it will get to the same stability as 3.5 KDE and you can settle in your chair and say you've made it! Linux is about learning and caring for the things that matter. I guess KDE 4.1 is too so hang on in there and you'll see your patience rewarded.
            Terabyte<br /><br />Non sibi sed omnibus (Not for oneself, but for all)

Comment

KDE 4.1 for me has been such a great experience that it makes me want to forget what has happened to me back in the days when I still used the KDE 3 series. I also like the new desktop system, now there won't be a desktop so cluttered down by a gazillion icons.

Comment

Working...
              X