This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 3.5.9 Vs. KDE 4.1

How does everyone like the new KDE 4.1? I love the looks and performance of it but i think its ease of use is horrible! ive had it for about 12 hours and still cant figure out how to change the clock from 24 to 12 hour format, create new items on the desktop, rename items on the desktop etc...

Does anyone else feel like the switch from 3.5.x to 4.1 is like switching from windows xp to windows vista? both went from a blue color scheme to a black color scheme, the latter is way flashier then the pervious, and the ease of use went down the tubes also.

Re: KDE 3.5.9 Vs. KDE 4.1

i agree kde4's still pretty crappy.
    unlike windoze, though, nobody forces you to switch
    m2cts
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

There's a price difference, too!

Comment

Originally posted by jankushka
        i agree kde4's still pretty crappy.
        unlike windoze, though, nobody forces you to switch
        m2cts
        haha very true. I made a post over on the kde forums complaining about these stupid things, hopefully they'll get the idea and hopefully add something into this release, if not they should definitely add it into kde 4.2.

I would really like to use 4.1 but it just not that easy to use maybe its like vista and takes some getting use to, i still hate dolphin though

Comment

Originally posted by brando569
          How does everyone like the new KDE 4.1? I love the looks and performance of it but i think its ease of use is horrible! ive had it for about 12 hours and still cant figure out how to change the clock from 24 to 12 hour format, create new items on the desktop, rename items on the desktop etc...

Does anyone else feel like the switch from 3.5.x to 4.1 is like switching from windows xp to windows vista? both went from a blue color scheme to a black color scheme, the latter is way flashier then the pervious, and the ease of use went down the tubes also.
          You can change to 12 hour by going to System Settings>Regional & Language>Time &Dates and change the Time Format to pH:MM:SS AMPM.

I like 4.1 but there are still some irritating features like the folder view, icons that disappear or move about and the panel which keeps resizing itself on reboot.

Comment

KDE 3.5.9 is simply put, rock stable. In comparing my HH running KDE 3.5.9 and HH running KDE 4.1, I can say honestly, that the user control in KDE 3.5.9 is more important to me than the new look one gets with KDE 4.1. There is still a lot of functionality in KDE 4.1 that is deficient as compared to KDE 3.5.9.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It took 7 years for kde3 to evolve to the point it is at today. I remember kde2 god forbid. It was THE reason I gave up on linux for a long time. No, I don't like gnome.

Kde4 took only 7 months to get to where it is today.

I have been using kde4 since january on a more and more regular basis. Now it is 99%.

A few things take getting used to. Like folder view. Now I love it.
              I have my main clients in folders on my desktop. Scroll and click.

If you want icons on the desktop, open the folder your icons are in in folderview and drag/drop them to the desktop.

I can set up my panel just the way I want them. Could not do that in kde3.5.9.

Locking the widgets takes care of a lot of issues with widgets.

Dolphin is getting there. Tab view is great. Still missing "open / edit" as root.

Unpacking and compressing works with:
              http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...?content=84206

Admin in system settings and a weather widget are the only things I really miss.

Above and beyond all of that and as stated ad nausium by others. You do have the choice
              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                It took 7 years for kde3 to evolve to the point it is at today. I remember kde2 god forbid. It was THE reason I gave up on linux for a long time. No, I don't like gnome.

Kde4 took only 7 months to get to where it is today.

I have been using kde4 since january on a more and more regular basis. Now it is 99%.

A few things take getting used to. Like folder view. Now I love it.
                I have my main clients in folders on my desktop. Scroll and click.

If you want icons on the desktop, open the folder your icons are in in folderview and drag/drop them to the desktop.

I can set up my panel just the way I want them. Could not do that in kde3.5.9.

Locking the widgets takes care of a lot of issues with widgets.

Dolphin is getting there. Tab view is great. Still missing "open / edit" as root.

Unpacking and compressing works with:
                http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...?content=84206

Admin in system settings and a weather widget are the only things I really miss.

Above and beyond all of that and as stated ad nausium by others. You do have the choice
                Agreed! I couldn't say it better.

Comment

I'm new to the whole KDE thing, so I'm not as loyal to 3.5.9... I was just impressed with how well Kubuntu ran and looked on my low-end laptop, so I made the switch.

I'm hoping that 4.1 is going to bring better performance.. when it was on the verge, they claimed that they've made it more efficient, so it'll run on older hardware better. I'm all for that... and the desktop plasmoids (?) look like a great idea.

Comment

KDE 4.1 might not be a good choice now. I have a Celeron D 2.8GHz with 512M DDR and i915 display (note this is intel, not nvidia), which runs KDE 4.1 with unacceptable performance for scrolling both in Firefox and Konqueror. Yes this might be a problem of the driver, or Qt 4.x. But KDE4 is suffering from that and nvidia users are not the only users who suffered from the issue.

If we must compare KDE 3.5.9 to KDE 4.1.0, I would say KDE 3.5.9 is the choice. I choose KDE over GNOME mainly because KDE is more feature rich than GNOME. However, KDE 4.1.0 lacks many features in KDE 3.5.9, so if I can live with KDE4.1 I think I could also live with GNOME.

Lets wait until KDE 4.2 or KDE 4.3, I think the time when most KDE 3.5.9 features are migrated into KDE4 is the time I will use KDE4 as my main working desktop.

For now, KDE4.1 has great fun to play with, that's all. Don't blame KDE4.1 , the developers had said that KDE4.1 is for early adopters, not for everyone.

Comment

IMHO: KDE 4.1 is the best thing available that has potential.
                      - kubuntu 11.10 | linux User #231826 | kubuntu user #23718<br />- x58/ich10r | i7-950 | 3@2GB 1600 3x channel | geforce gt240 1GB [19&quot; 16:10, 19&quot; 4:3] | 120GB ssd / 500GB / 1TB / dvd+-rw [sata ahci] | 600W wrapped in aluminum

Comment

Originally posted by carolinason
                        IMHO: KDE 4.1 is the best thing available that has potential.
                        There are still some irritating little nggles but I can say that I am very happy with KDE 4.1 and it is only likely to get better and better.

Comment

I like 4.1 I haven't had too many crashes, and nothing that restarting the x server cant fix(CTRL+ALT+Backspace FTW!) Easy mode!

Besides, if more people don't use it, and use it for everyday stuff, then report the bugs, then how long will it take to work all the bugs out then? I use kde 4.1, and I post my crash information to help the community, plus, I get to brag about how much cooler my computer is when it crashes than when my buddies vista crashes, and he has to restart the computer, just to have it crash again, BWAHAHA
                          Compaq Presario c727us, 120GB&nbsp; HDD, 2GB DDR2, 1.6GHz, fully working sound, wifi, proprietary buttons, and on board mouse with Kubuntu 8.04 and KDE 4.1

Comment

I've actually have crashed it with gtkRadiant during heavy map editing. That's the only times. Otherwise, rock solid!

Comment

How are you all feeling about Kubuntu's October release replacing KDE 3.5.9 with 4.x? I have to admit I have not tried 4.1. I played with 4.0 a lil and ran away from it.

txWingMan

Comment

Working...
                              X