This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Works out of the box

New user here, coming over from Mepis 7. Everything works right out of the box. Hmmm, I like it.

torp
    IBM m55e<br />3GB DDR<br />360 GB HD<br />Kubuntu 8.04<br />Samsung HT-P4254

Re: Works out of the box

Welcome
    Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

Re: Works out of the box

Another works out of the box here.

I've been using Ubuntu Hardy for... well ever since it was released and I overwrote my old Gutsy partition with Kubuntu Intrepid.

What made me do it? Well some of those slick looking desktops the guys post on the forums... they were based on KDE 4.
      That and some guy who helped me configure pidgin in #ubuntu chat kept asking me if he had told me how great he thought KDE4.2 was.
      Completely irrelevant to what I was doing... but I'm glad I tried it.

Now both times in the past I've loaded up Gutsy and Hardy as my OS - they both took some configuration for the sound and Gutsy also took some display tinkering. Getting VMC (vodafone mobile connect) running for my E220 USB modem was fairly tedious the first time with all the dependencies required to run the application. I was pleasantly surprised to find under the networking icon that my wireless modem had been recognised - was asking for the network provider and password - too easy!

IMO the Hardy Heron gets the prize for simplicity and speed once it was set up - I've found little bugs in the time I've been using it.
      But Kubuntu Intrepid takes the prize for the customisable interface and looks. Not to mention I have not had to fiddle with anything yet to make it work. My fourth day on KDE and I like it

Comment

Working...
      X