Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After Linuxing for Few months... I Decided to Present With Linux.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After Linuxing for Few months... I Decided to Present With Linux.

Hi guys. I've been a Linux user for a while now. I tried, Red Hat, Mandriva, OpenSuse, Ubuntu & Kubuntu.

The 1st time I started depending on Linux was with Ubuntu 7.10 for a while & then I installed KDE & when 8.04 was released I migrated for good to Kubuntu 8.04.

I have to say am a satisfied user (In general :P), I've been using Linux for months now & my dependence on Windows is going down by time.
    In general, I have to say that 99% of my machine's up time is in Linux, to be honest, I never saw that coming

Today, I had a presentation in university & my plan was to start the presentation by saying that this presentation was done on a Linux machine. I actually got that from a video in YouTube, a guy telling his experience with Linux after usage for few months & how he starts his presentations by saying so.

Unfortunately, after connecting the data show cable, there was no VGA output & I was like
    DAMN, it was working @ home when I used to plug an external monitor, of course I had to restart the xserver so it would detect it.

It was embarrassing not to be able to activate the VGA & I had to step off to let someone else do his presentation while I solve the issue.

So I started the system settings, monitor & display, tried to clone the desktop. Something was wrong & got the display as if it was extended desktop. Then I restarted my computer cause I was not able to change the settings. And then it was messed up & I had to write the magical code that seems to fix many problems:
    Code:
    Dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    Then I went online & installed i810switch, which should activate my Fn + F8 key on my Dell's laptop, unfortunately, it worked at home once but this time, it didn't work, I entered the system settings again & monitor & display settings & tried to clone the desktop, restarted & vwala, it was working. But this time I had NO MOUSE.

At this point, everyone was looking at me & wondering when would I start my presentation. And I was in a complete mess.
    It's the 1st time to do a presentation on a Linux machine and it was not doing anything I wanted at this certain time. And the problem is all my work is done in OpenOffice & I cannot guarantee it'll work on other's computers even if I save it in (*.ppt) format, actually there is no time for more testing. (PDF extraction worked, but I still wanted to use my Linux machine)
    Finally I was able to start the presentation with no mouse, But I hated my instructor the moment he said, if you don't know how to use Linux, then don't use it.

Nevertheless, it was such an experience, I have to say, If I was to blame someone, I would either blame the ppl responsible for hot keys & maybe Intel's Video drivers :P

A lesson to learn, get a Linux compatible dedicated machine, or at least good driver support.

Even after such mess, who can't love Linux! (And who can love his instructor!)

I wonder how you would have handled this if you where in my position? 8)

Re: After Linuxing for Few months... I Decided to Present With Linux.

When I go for presentation, it's a must: a backup copy on a CD for emergency. Even a floppy would be nice.
    Like your case, nobody can trust hardware compatibility, especially in a world that focus on compatibily for Windows!!

In your position, I would ask somebody else computer and blame the hardware 8)

Comment

I won't even try a presentation on a Windows machine without verifying it in advance -- and then leaving the machine running with the first slide up. Too many things can go wrong, or be set up wrong before you try to run your show.

Comment

Over 40 years ago, I attended a course in the Army on Methods of Instruction. One of the things they stressed was, if your presentation depends on any audiovisual equipment, to always have a backup plan. I have given thousands of presentations/classes on many different subjects since then, and I can not tell you how many times that has saved me. Of course, in those days, it was 16mm projectors and overhead viewers, but the advice is still good.

Comment

Working...
        X