This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread about Politics

After this http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3095565.0 topic I decided to open a topic that will be just for political ranting and such...

So if you are bothered by some policies that your or any other country is executing or if you just want to start purely ideological battle this is the place to go.

So whatever comments about presidency race in USA, or war in Iraq, or Lisbon reform treaty, or Zimbabwe not having the second run for president... spew it here and keep it out of any other topic, OK?
    Hope that someone will actually use this topic .

Let me start: Any comment on Lisbon reform treaty and Irish NO to it??

I understand Irish voters, but I would like to have an EU with a bit more power and with that becoming more democratic.
    I always thought that pan European referendum on the matter of constitution or EU future should be made as Habermas (a very prominent social scientist) proposed.
    I'm magnet for errors, problems and bugs...

Not quite the same - - -

Obama / McCain / Obama / McCain - - - -

Hec, I'm too poor to flip a quarter these days

Comment

Re: Thread about Politics

Easy.. if you want higher taxes vote for Obama otherwise McCain.
      txWingMan

Comment

It'll never happen, but given the choices we have this election (Obama/McCain), what do you think would happen if no one voted?
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I as an "political scientist" have problems with imagining that nobody would vote...

And as always I think that majority of Europeans is more for democrats than republicans (or maybe that just me)...
          And it would be nice to see black USA president. Even though Vietnam veteran for president is also interesting.

But what I really want is a bit less "gung ho" foreign policy.
          I'm magnet for errors, problems and bugs...

Comment

Why on earth wouldn't one want to vote? I understand spoiling a ballot paper, but not even turning up on the day to cast your vote is beyond me.

Fancy a bit of a feudal system instead? People didn't have to vote in those days
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I could go with the feudal system, when one has enough with the ruler, they riot and take over, or they move to another place ruled by someone else.

As for the election Huckabee should have beaten McCain, and that's that.
              The early bird might get the worm, but it's the second mouse who always gets the cheese.

Comment

they move to another place ruled by someone else.
                Not really. If I recall correctly, in a feudal system, the peasants are bound to the land. If they didn't like their fief holder, they had to suck it up and take it, or suffer the (drastic) consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by Penguin22

As for the election Huckabee should have beaten McCain, and that's that.
                  +1

Heh -- not only am I in the tiny minority of computer users running Linux, I'm apparently in the minority of political persuasions.

I'm old enough to remember being so disgusted with the choice in 1972 that I voted for "Clean Gene" McCarthy, just to register my distaste for the two parties' candidates. What this country really needs is a respectable third party -- the "Taxpayers First Party".

Comment

What this country really needs is a respectable third party -- the "Taxpayers First Party".
                    Just a bit of provocation:
                    You / we already have that. The biggest taxpayers (coorperate) are first.
                    And they can determine how much taxes they will pay.
                    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                    4 GB Ram
                    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan

You / we already have that. The biggest taxpayers (coorperate) are first.
                      Yep. And they apparently own both the major parties. >

Comment

In the US you can be happy there are only two major parties

Imagine the confusion when you have 4 or 5 and they are all "owned" :P
                        4 GB Ram
                        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

American politicians are too comfortable to make the “right” decisions. They have what the rest of the American public wants. In fact, they have what the emerging middle classes in China and India want.

=> Upcoming major stress on the world's finite resources, next two decades.
                          Someone (=> politicians) needs to work together to make good, balanced, equitable decisions for everyone, everyone around the globe. And ... Oh, did I fail to mention the environmental issues caught in the middle of all this?

After all, it is true, isn't it, that we ALL deserve a refrigerator, a car, and a house/flat? isn't that what we as Americans have successfully demonstrated to the world? the spirit of capitalism? Ah! so Democracy is one thing and Capitalism is another...? I see now. Democracy is good for people, but Capitalism may not necessarily be good for ALL people...? Ah, I get it!

Politicians really need to grow up and take responsibility for steering the world's people through the next few decades and beyond. And hurry. China and India, to name but two countries, are not going to wait around for the next U.S. Congressional session about anything. You can't blame them. And not much of what I've said here addresses all the many serious problems Americans have at home, not the least of which are jobs, health insurance, retirement, and slipping quality of life.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

@Fintan, what the hell are you doing still awake? It's 4:00 a.m. in Switzerland -- go to bed, man!

Comment

I just woke up, have a bit of a business trip today
                              4 GB Ram
                              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                              X