This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flawless Functionality

I have done the whole distro hoping route since switching to Linux after a career in IT of over 30 years mainly in Windows based systems; I have used practically most Linux distros including the so called top 20.

The longest stay was with PCLinuxOS which I moved from solely due to lack of a 64 bit version and also due to the fact that the future progress and fortunes of the distro is dependent on a single individual and has no contingency plans to ensure continuity in case of some unforeseen problem.

After changing to 64 bit I stayed the longest with Suse v10.3. It was buggy at times and I just hated the Yast updater and finally switched to Kubuntu 64 bit.

I am just thrilled with the flawless performance and the smooth functionality for both personal and business use.

I use a computer for up to almost 18 hours a day on average and the peace of mind that Kubuntu x86_64 (8.04) provides is exceptional. I am very picky when it comes to performance and proper resource utilization and Kubuntu has not failed to meet my high expectations.

All kudos to the development team for a product that is fit to be a standard bearer for the OS.

Many thanks and regards!
    The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason .....Benjamin Franklin<br />Kubuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Xbuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Win7 x64 Ultimate<br />Linux User: 416878&nbsp; &nbsp; Kubuntu User: 22154

Re: Flawless Functionality

i like kubuntu the best too after trying about 20 or so distros in my time, i was reading your post about moving away from pclinuxos because they had no 64 bit system, and i thought to myself does it really make that much of a difference?

i just got a 64 bit pc for the first time ever the other day and i installed 32 but kubuntu on it i think the amd64 dvd was giving me problems but i swapped out my mobo it was probably related to that and my ram is showing up as 3gb instead of 4 now so im going to swap that too, but anyway my question was

does it really make a noticable performance increase to use the 64bit version , and is there more problems with drivers because 64 bit is new i thought i may as well stay with the i386 , what is better about the amd64 that it would make you want to use it?

cheers
    /siarx<br />Kubuntu8/GA-MA78GM-S2H/4200+x2/4GbOCZ.REAPER.DDR2.800/antec.NSK2480.

Comment

Originally posted by siar

does it really make a noticable performance increase to use the 64bit version
      No (unless you've got a 64-bit application for CAD drawing or something like that).

is there more problems with drivers because 64 bit is new
      No, if there's a driver for Linux at all, it's normally been compiled for 64-bit as well as 32-bit.

what is better about the amd64 that it would make you want to use it?
      Well, that's kind of difficult to answer. I'll reverse the question: Why would you want to buy a 64-bit computer and then run a 32-bit OS on it?

Seriously, there are almost no remaining obstacles to using 64-bit Linux -- Java Runtime Environment may be the last issue, and there are even workarounds coming on line for that.

So, why not?

Comment

Originally posted by siar
        does it really make a noticable performance increase to use the 64bit version , and is there more problems with drivers because 64 bit is new i thought i may as well stay with the i386 , what is better about the amd64 that it would make you want to use it?
        As to why use 64 bit. I have a cutting edge Intel based system and it seems a pity to not use the 64 bit capability. Also, as the previous poster stated, why would you want to buy a 64-bit computer and then run a 32-bit OS on it?

As for drivers I have not had any problem even with many peripherals in use and have had no need to look elsewhere for drivers as all my driver needs were found within the Kubuntu repos.

I have not done any scientific tests on the speed between the two (32 bit & 64 bit) though it appears that some cpu intensive apps are running perceptibly faster. But then again the quad core cpu may be what is doing it.

The most relevant observation has been a marked reduction in cpu temperature (measured) which I tend to think is the result of better cpu utilization and the consequent lower duty cycle imposed.
        The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason .....Benjamin Franklin<br />Kubuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Xbuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Win7 x64 Ultimate<br />Linux User: 416878&nbsp; &nbsp; Kubuntu User: 22154

Comment

Working...
        X