Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JACK, Rosegarden, Qsynth + Kubuntu = stability!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JACK, Rosegarden, Qsynth + Kubuntu = stability!

OK, I've set a personal record. The new Hardy version of Kubuntu is living up to its name. I put JACK, Qsynth, and Rosegarden through some pretty strenuous tasks earlier today . . . for two solid hours. I just lost track of time. By the time I thought to switch desktops and check on JACK, nearly two hours had passed. And this is what I saw:

[img width=400 height=237]http://bmccosar.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/superjack.png[/img]

Yes, that's 1 hour, 57 minutes of uptime -- with ZERO xruns. Realtime mode, with sub-millisecond scheduling delays. (The 2 x 256 frames = 11.6 msec buffer delay is not noticeable.)

The point is, this has never happened before. I actually got busy working on a music project, and didn't for a minute have to stop to think about anything else. The software just vanished into the background.

I switched from mainstream Debian to Kubuntu (actually, a hybrid of Kubuntu + Ubuntu Studio . . . but always running KDE) in January. By myself, configuring my old system on my own, I NEVER got Jack + Rosegarden + the realtime kernel to work.

So, thank you, Kubuntu developers! You've definitely got a winner going.
    Jamendo | Wordpress | Dandelife | ccMixter | Csound

Re: JACK, Rosegarden, Qsynth + Kubuntu = stability!

That's impressive. What kind of hardware you have it running on?

Comment

Re: JACK, Rosegarden, Qsynth + Kubuntu = stability!

Code:
      mccosar (1) -> ~
      $ linuxinfo
      Linux bermuda-depths 2.6.24-16-rt #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Thu Apr 10 15:15:40 UTC 2008
      One AMD Unknown 2079MHz processor, 4160.85 total bogomips, 941M RAM
      System library 2.7.0
      Kubuntu 8.04 -- Ancient HP Pavilion, AMD Athlon XP 2800.

Code:
      mccosar (1) -> ~
      $ cat /proc/asound/cards
       0 [nForce2    ]: NFORCE - NVidia nForce2
                 NVidia nForce2 with ALC650F at irq 18
       1 [UM3EX     ]: USB-Audio - UM-3EX
                 EDIROL UM-3EX at usb-0000:00:02.1-1.1, full speed
      The UM3EX is a midi port that I have hooked up to an el cheapo Yamaha YPT-310 keyboard (basically, it's used entirely as a MIDI controller). I also have the system connected to a Hammond XK3 and a Nord Lead 2X, but these are more for sending and receiving patch dumps.

There's a photo here.
      Jamendo | Wordpress | Dandelife | ccMixter | Csound

Comment

Working...
      X