This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mepis meets (K)ubuntu

I'm not sure if you guys have heard, but the maker of Mepis is basing the next testing release of Simply Mepis off of (K)ubuntu. How do you guys feel about that? Mepis is my main distro right now and I'm pretty excited about this new release. Some are adamantly against it, but I say why not? You guys have a dedicated release cycle, which I really like and your packages are pretty good too. I think it would be a great combination. The collaborative efort should benefit (K)ubuntu, Mepis, and Debian. What are your thoughts?

Re: Mepis meets (K)ubuntu

I'm quite happy with it, not because people are basing projects on Ubuntu, or that this generates interest or press exposure to Ubuntu, but because this encourages cooperation and collaboration among distros. As much as it helps MEPIS, I think this sort of relationship will also benefit Kubuntu, which is currently quite a minority in the Ubuntu world. And ultimately, it will (or at least it should) benefit Debian most of all.

I'm quite happy about it. I don't think it will be a problem to keep MEPIS's unique identity while basing it on Ubuntu. For one, the two have different policies/philosophies, specially when it comes to propriety codecs. Secondly, Ubuntu is mainly a GNOME-based distro, with Kubuntu and Xubuntu (Xfce) only at the sides. Another is that Ubuntu has promised to be completely free. No enterprise versions to buy.

So in so many ways, this cooperation between MEPIS and Ubuntu will never wipe out MEPIS identity.
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Working...
    X