Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interseting article that mentions Kubuntu.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interseting article that mentions Kubuntu.

Here is an article that mentions the benefits of using a linux distro on older hardware. It also specifically mentions Kubuntu.

http://www.computerworld.com.au/inde...04;fpid;1;pf;1

Re: Interseting article that mentions Kubuntu.

An interesting article. Giving new life to older PCs is a benefit of Linux over Windoze that everyone should be aware of.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I agree. There is one application we have at work that was designed using .NET and other M$ web enabled features. The application is totally Web based. Problem, and trust me, I've tested a hundred times with different configurations, it just won't work with either FF or Konq. All I need is to have Kubuntu and the Web browser, but so far the company we deal with for this has no plans to make it cross browser compatible. If it was, the ones who don't need anything but that application could use a kiosk setup. Man, that'll eliminate half the problems I have now because of the cost of upgrading to Vista/Office 2007 which we can't do due to legacy systems that have no plans of being replaced. I could save so much money in that respect, but people still want to tie to one resource, M$ >

Comment

Maybe, if you worked up a cost analysis, showing how much the compay would save if they adopted your suggestion, you might get the attention of the CFO.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

What I admired about this facility was their open-mindedness (plays well with open source). I'm pretty sure I'd see half of our Faculty's staff rolling on the floor laughing if I said: "Hey, instead of throwing those old computers out we could install Kubuntu on them and improve the quality of our students' learning experience."
          I might still send them the article though... 8)

Thanks for providing us with it MoonRise!
          I break it, therefore I learn it.<br />

Comment

Working...
          X