X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone else hate KDE4?

Originally posted by muzicman0
    uh...no...it's a year later, and works flawlessly for me. If it doesn't work for you, move on.

mm0
    I don't think it works that way

Comment

of course you are right...that was an entirely way to optimistic post!
      Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

For me the performance issue is the most important.

I've tried so many distributions: Kubuntu, openSUSE, Mandriva, ArchLinux, all are so sluggish in KDE4.
        I've tried so many computers: from PIII to Core 2 Duo, from Sempron to Athlon. from Nvidia to ATI and intel integrated cards. All are so sluggish in KDE4.

none of my computers and KDE4 distributions can give me a performance comparable to KDE3. in KDE3 every window and dialog simply comes and went instantly, katapult responds instantly, konsole scrolls screen instantly and opens new shell instantly, in KDE4 everything is sluggish with an even more sluggish animation (yes of course I've disabled kwin effects for a fair comparison), windows and dialogs draws slowly, krunner responds slowly with every key type, konsole scrolls screen slowly and opens new shell very slowly.

What's the point of any features, if the whole system are so sluggish?

Comment

I believe that Plasma is supposed to be better scalability.

Many icons, and other components are no longer pre-rendered, but are rendered in real time. Using an SVG source.

Unfortunately, this is sure to cause a performance hit, but isn't usually noticeable on Vista level machines. As long as your have taken the time to install the official "non-free" drivers.
          The answers are out there...

Comment

I have a 7 year old PIV with a ATI card (see below).

I also have II, JJ, and KK installs.
            The kde4.4.x environment was never sluggish (without kwin effects) and have gotten faster from II to KK.

On KK I can easily use kwin effects without any drop in visible responsiveness.

Just my 2c's.
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I agree with Fintan - performance has significantly increased in KDE4.2. My old laptop is flying with all bells and whistles turned on. All that on a 32MB graphic card - fantastic!
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

If it works well for you, congratulations on being one of the lucky ones; don't expect the unlucky ones to care. The issue isn't really KDE4; that's an important and worthwhile project from a dedicated and gifted team, In the end, it will benefit everybody. It's that while KDE4 was not yet mature, mature software was simply discarded, because a fast efficient rollout was deemed more important than not inconveniencing the users. If you balked, you were told that other things were more important than you. Being a "cutting edge distro" is more important than you, "Following KDE" is more impotant than you. They call it Linux for Human Beings, but it turns out all those human beings are named Shuttleworth, We got screwbuntued.

What makes this like Vista is the excuses you hear. "It works for me." "It's better than it was." "It'll be better soon." That's pure Vista Deja Vu right there.

Comment

Please do not displace any more electrons for no reason. They are sensitive little buggers.

There are thousands of distros, some of which may work for you, others which don't. I prefer ArchLinux to any of the Ubuntus. You may benefit from Sidux. Feel free to try some/all but please stop trolling, moaning or yelling.

Thank you.
                  Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I wasn't going to reply...but after 10 or so more post after the one that started this round. Over 100 machines I've installed 9.04. All going from Celeron 1.8 GHz up to Core 2 Duos. Same for some AMDs. All work great. Actually made the slower machines useful again. Even have a laptop at work we were going to recycle. Installed Kubuntu and WINE for a particular application we needed a laptop for simple Temp monitoring. Guess what? It works! I really do not understand the fuss anymore about this move KDE had to make to stay progressive for future technology. Things change. As much as we all hate change it is inevitable. If it doesn't work for you find out why or go to another OS, it's that simple.

Comment

Ok folks, let's let this thread die off (again) before we get in too deep. Beating a dead horse from both sides will get us no where no matter where it started.

Comment

Good idea Can't you close it?

Comment

ditto...

Comment

Pretty please?

Comment

Originally posted by toad
                              Good idea Can't you close it?
                              I can, but I prefer not to have to do so

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
                                Ok folks, let's let this thread die off (again) before we get in too deep. Beating a dead horse from both sides will get us no where no matter where it started.

We are in too deep, and you don't want to talk about it. It's not a dead horse, it's where we are now, waiting for KDE to be as functional and reliable now as it was four years ago, and how we got here.

The system broke down. Trashing stable mature software for software that is immature and unstable is not how it's supposed to work. And nobody even wants to acknowledge the screwup. I keep reading articles where all the controversy with KDE4 is pushed off onto 4.0 and everything's great now. The whole point of a free software community is to not have this kind of insular corporate culture where bad news gets swept under the rug and errors are allowed to live on and on..

I think that KDE4 (or maybe KDE5) is going to be a technical and artistic triumph in the end, but it would haave gone better without the black eye.

Sorry about the Shuttleworth comment; that was a little harsh.

Comment

Working...
                                X