This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone else hate KDE4?

KDE4 is used as an intermediary for KDE3.5 to KDE4 between 3.5 versions and what Kubuntu will offer in 8.10. With Intrepid Ibex 8.10, that all goes away back to KDE (AFAIK). The menu problem also appears to be resolved in 8.10. With my numerous installs, they always appear without rebooting. With 8.04 KDE4 remix, yes, I had to always boot. Not to start a war of words or to flame anyone, that isn't my intent with the following. I've used VISTA and KDE4 and the two are totally different. KDE has always made strides to make Windows Users fell somewhat comfortable when trying to switch, but have always retained their own Identity. They have accomplished that with KDE4 plus more. As several have stated in this forum, KDE4 is still maturing. The same happened with KDE2 and the same happened with KDE3 (maybe not as bad as 2 or 4 but it had it's picks). I love KDE 3.5, but knowing how it grew and what is to come technology wise, change was the only way KDE would have been able to go forward. That is the nature of technological growth. Hell, I hated CDs when they first appeared. I loved vinyl! But event that had to change.

Claydoh: You beat me by about 10 seconds on this one!

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise

I loved vinyl!
      I loved the shellac 78 rpms -- that newfangled vinyl still doesn't sound quite right!

Comment

Originally posted by dibl

I loved vinyl!
        I loved the shellac 78 rpms -- that newfangled vinyl still doesn't sound quite right!

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan

Kde4.02 is far from finished.
          It took kde3.5 the better part of 3 years to become what it is now.

<snip>

kde4 is only 3 months old.

You don't like it. Good.
          KDE3 isn't going to disappear any time soon.
          This for me is one of the big problems. Cumbersome isn't so bad as not having the features that would normally be expected on a production system. This is what is hurting Vista so badly. They radically changed the desktop instead of doing it incrementally and their users revolted.

Well here we are just a few months later and guess what's not available in Kubuntu 8.10?

It's KDE 4.1 or run a non KDE desktop.... They gave no option to 3.5.x.....

On my most current system ( due to C7-M processor incompatibility in 8.04) I've upgraded to 8.10 but using the Gnome desktop, one I really resisted ever since I started with Linux.....

One thing I do like over Windows is that if a project screws up a desktop and I don't want to use it any more I can switch to another one or if I am talented enough (which I am not ) I can design my own.

Devlin

Comment

Originally posted by devlin
            [Snip]
            Well here we are just a few months later and guess what's not available in Kubuntu 8.10?

On my most current system ( due to C7-M processor incompatibility in 8.04) I've upgraded to 8.10 but using the Gnome desktop, one I really resisted ever since I started with Linux.....

One thing I do like over Windows is that if a project screws up a desktop and I don't want to use it any more I can switch to another one or if I am talented enough (which I am not ) I can design my own.

Devlin
            KDE 4 is still in it's infancy.

It is quite feasible to run Hardy (KDE 3.5.10).

Comment

Originally posted by aged hippy
              Originally posted by devlin
              [Snip]

Devlin
              KDE 4 is still in it's infancy.

It is quite feasible to run Hardy (KDE 3.5.10).

In 8.10? That would be great! I can't find any mention of it in the repos.

I still think it was wrong of Kubuntu to make 4.x.x the default when even KDE said it wasn't fully cooked yet.... Seems rather short sited. I am going to hang with Kubuntu 8.04 on my desktop but we've already decided to switch to Ubuntu 8.10 w/ Gnome on wife's desktop, laptop and my new Aspire One.

Comment

No, it's a KDE4 release. If you don't like it switch to 8.04. I haven't heard of anybody not being able to run hardware on the 8.04 kernel which works on the 8.10 kernel, i.e. there is no conceivable reason other than "I want the latest and greatest" to run 8.10.

And if you want to run the latest and greatest combined with a major new release of the DE then hold tight Well, not any more - my system runs perfectly stable with all functionalities I'll ever need. So there...

Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I still think it was wrong of Kubuntu to make 4.x.x the default when even KDE said it wasn't fully cooked yet....
                  They had a hard time deciding on doing it:
                  http://ostatic.com/177053-blog/kubun...e-all-the-time

I for one applaud the decision.

No one was forced to "upgrade" to 8.10, as has been stressed here enough.
                  HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I agree. No one was forced to go from 8.04 to 8.10. 8.04 is still supported fully for a good long while. The ONLY reason for me to swtich to 8.10 was KDE4 Remix wasn't "quite" right because of blending of KDE3 stuff to help support at the time the young KDE4. Now I have KDE4 that runs flawlessly. I'm fully productive and really have seen very little in the way of missing function. Very Little. Kubuntu still has several releases they still support. All with KDE3. I don't really consider that abandon.

Comment

KDE4 is a POS! Isn't anyone having the same problems?!?

You click the KDE4 menu and it goes haywire!!!! The menu goes all black (with purple/orange ) colours mixed in and it flickers for a few seconds before it clears.

This happens on EVERY BOOT UP! I was wondering if this was just a Kubuntu thing but I have Fedora 9 installed on another partition which uses the KDE version. It also does the SAME thing. The KDE menu when you first click it, goes all black with some colours mixed in. It's really annoying and I can only conclude that it's a KDE4 issue. I've only ever noticed it in KDE4. KDE 3.5 seems fine and doesn't have the same issue.

I am sure others must have this. I thought it might be because the video drivers aren't installed. But, I installed the Nvidia drivers in my Fedora 9 install and the black flickering didn't go away.

It HAS TO BE a KDE4 issue. I am wondering if there's any report on this.

Comment

There are plenty of reports of graphical glitches and slowness from the Nvidia drivers while using KDE4, this because the drivers are closed and proprietary, so we have to wait for Nvidia to fix them. There are new beta drivers from them that are reported to work much better. But you need to manually install them or use external tools such as Envy.

Personally, on my 4+ year old laptop with its 32 mb ati graphics chip, using the open source driver, I get a couple of graphical issues similar to yours, but only very briefly (barely a flicker, really) on first clicking the menu with kwin effects running. I haven't noticed this when using 4.2 (project neon's kde-nightly packages) but I haven't really paid attention to that aspect of 4.2

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
                          There are plenty of reports of graphical glitches and slowness from the Nvidia drivers while using KDE4, this because the drivers are closed and proprietary, so we have to wait for Nvidia to fix them. There are new beta drivers from them that are reported to work much better. But you need to manually install them or use external tools such as Envy.
                          Do these glitches apply to the older KDE version, though? I don't remember seeing the KDE menu in Mepis 8 or Debian Lenny doing the flickering in the KDE menu. I was figuring it was some sort of relation to KDE4 (which versions, not sure). It might be video drivers but how they function with respect to the KDE4 desktop and perhaps it's implementation in the kernel? I really have no idea so that is all speculation. Not sure if any of that is accurate but it would make sense to me if that's the case.

I guess I can live with the flickering but I hope they can fix it.

The booting is more of a concern to me.

Comment

KDE4 is used as an intermediary for KDE3.5 to KDE4 between 3.5 versions and what Kubuntu will offer in 8.10. With Intrepid Ibex 8.10, that all goes away back to KDE (AFAIK). The menu problem also appears to be resolved in 8.10. With my numerous installs, they always appear without rebooting. With 8.04 KDE4 remix, yes, I had to always boot. Not to start a war of words or to flame anyone, that isn't my intent with the following. I've used VISTA and KDE4 and the two are totally different. KDE has always made strides to make Windows Users fell somewhat comfortable when trying to switch, but have always retained their own Identity. They have accomplished that with KDE4 plus more. As several have stated in this forum, KDE4 is still maturing. The same happened with KDE2 and the same happened with KDE3 (maybe not as bad as 2 or 4 but it had it's picks). I love KDE 3.5, but knowing how it grew and what is to come technology wise, change was the only way KDE would have been able to go forward. That is the nature of technological growth. Hell, I hated CDs when they first appeared. I loved vinyl! But event that had to change.

Claydoh: You beat me by about 10 seconds on this one!
                            ...and a year later, it still sucks. It still crashes about once every fifteen minutes and people are still telling me how it's going to be fixed any day now.

The problem with KDE4 is that an American Corporation and a South African Billionaire decided that this was going to be the big thing, and so they pushed it out way too fast, and then everybody else followed them in a kind of stampede. It's a big important ambitious project, but its gotten a big black eye in a lot of places. There are a lot of people who hate it, but they're not here. The people I encounter on the web are about fifty-fifty negative/positive. The people I encounter in real life are one hundred per cent negative.

Its now the standard, and people are still talking about when will it be as functional or as stable as the mature software that most distros have already abandoned. It is a lot like Vista in that people keep making excuses for it, and apparently you need really good hardware.

It's got a lot of potential. KDE is a non commercial project, and that means they can keep working on it as long as they need to. I don't know how long its going to take for KDE to recover from this debacle, but I know that they're going to.

Incidentally, the KDE4 Desktop is like a big digital swamp, but the applications are marvelous Running KDE apps on Fluxbox and XFCE is how I intend to get by until KDE5.

Comment

uh...no...it's a year later, and works flawlessly for me. If it doesn't work for you, move on.

mm0
                              Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Originally posted by blackbelt_jones
                                ...and a year later, it still sucks. It still crashes about once every fifteen minutes and people are still telling me how it's going to be fixed any day now.

The problem with KDE4 is that an American Corporation and a South African Billionaire decided that this was going to be the big thing, and so they pushed it out way too fast, and then everybody else followed them in a kind of stampede.
                                Which corporation now?

And which billionaire is pushing KDE (as much or more than he is promoting Gnome)?

It's a big important ambitious project, but its gotten a big black eye in a lot of places. There are a lot of people who hate it, but they're not here. The people I encounter on the web are about fifty-fifty negative/positive. The people I encounter in real life are one hundred per cent negative.
                                In my observations, it's about 50/50 like/dislike, mostly based on initial appearances; they generally like the applications, but find the overall look a bit too dark. I also see them have about as many hardware problems as Ubuntu.

Its now the standard, and people are still talking about when will it be as functional or as stable as the mature software that most distros have already abandoned. It is a lot like Vista in that people keep making excuses for it, and apparently you need really good hardware.
                                Apparently you don't, looking at my hardware specs.

It's got a lot of potential. KDE is a non commercial project, and that means they can keep working on it as long as they need to. I don't know how long its going to take for KDE to recover from this debacle, but I know that they're going to.

Incidentally, the KDE4 Desktop is like a big digital swamp, but the applications are marvelous Running KDE apps on Fluxbox and XFCE is how I intend to get by until KDE5.
                                Won't you probably find something to dislike there as well?

Comment

Working...
                                X