This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This Hardy Kubuntu is Terrible!

This is Terrible, I have nothing to complain about!!

All the hardware on my Dell XPS M1330 is recognized and working (well I haven't found a way to test the embedded cam, yet, but will report as soon as I can)

I want to thank someone, and report this...where and how and what info would be helpful. (I thought there was an app to do this, but I don't see it now.)

Basically this is an Intel everything machine, except the firewire which is Ricoh, and ethernet which is Broadcom.

Kubuntu is one of few distros to find and use the Intel 4965 agn wifi. (also with, fedora, dreamlinux)
    It is the ONLY distro (out of three tested, pclinuxos, dreamlinux) that allows use of the SD card reader.
    The ONLY distro to use the Media Buttons.(did not work with Fedora8, dreamlinux, opensuse, pclinuxos, mepis. Mandriva wouldn't even boot!)
    I am glad that 8.04 is no longer blacklisting my Intel ICH8 family video for Compiz!

God Bless
    Doug
    Malachi 3:10 ESV <br />...says the LORD of hosts... I will not open...windows...for you...<br /><br />Linux user since 2001 pda; 2006 lappy

Re: This Hardy Kubuntu is Terrible!

Hold your horses, we are not quite there...

I have a M1330 by myself and there are still several things not working properly. The double jacks are not working as they should and the fans are running way to often and the whole laptop gets too hot (compared with 7.10)...

May I ask you which 8.04 exactly you tried?

Comment

squirrel,
      First, have no horses to hold...but you are correct about the jack. In DreamLinux3 (from beta through RC3) both jacks were operating...but only the left one is currently working in kubuntu. Ah, hadn't noticed that, but had read that this was happening.

As to the 8.04...I downloaded the kubuntu beta on Sunday, March 23...is that what you mean by version? Then I have updated through adept, and here is the result of:
      uname -a
      Linux dj 2.6.24-12-generic #1 SMP Wed Mar 12 23:01:54 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

I was having some severe problems with Compiz. Depending on some window settings (primarily 'move' and 'resize' window selections would make the title bars of my apps disappear. Then my bottom panel (which was set to hide) wouldn't unhide! I had to kill Compiz to recover the panel. However, the latest update filled out the Compiz categories (did have only a few choices in each category earlier) and some othe updates, and this is apparently no longer an issue.
      So Compiz is now running with even more selections enabled, and working fine.

God Bless
      Doug

ps. I have also installed this on my production laptop! But I am very pleased! I still have DL3 as a backup...but I feel I may be replacing it soon!
      Malachi 3:10 ESV <br />...says the LORD of hosts... I will not open...windows...for you...<br /><br />Linux user since 2001 pda; 2006 lappy

Comment

Do you run KDE3 or KDE4?

You get the second jack running if you play around with the mixer. Something like "output through the microfon" (sorry I'm on a windows box right now), but the problem remains somewhat as it does not work properly. If you plug it into the second jack, the first one will not work anymore. If you plug it only into the second jack (no other into the first one), then the PC-speaker are still running...

Comment

Originally posted by revdjenk
          Doug, I've done 4 Hardy Server installs and I'm loving it! I install kdebase cause I use KDE not Kubuntu. I like the Server install, cause it is just a base install and I can pick and choose what I want and have it my way.
          Registered Linux User #380263 - Registered Linux Computer #279395<br />Linux, working hard to save you $$$ - Get a clue, get Linux!<br />Intel Pentium D 2.80GHz, Intel Desktop Board D945GTP, Intel On Board Audio, Video and Ethernet Controller

Comment

I am running kde3 currently...waiting for kde4 to mature a bit more...

God Bless
            Doug

Comment

I am running kde3 currently...waiting for kde4 to mature a bit more...

God Bless
              Doug
              Well THERE's your problem! Maturity is over rated. In fact I say maturity is wasted on the old!

hehe

Why not give KDE4 a try? It has a new audio system and this might just fix the issue for you.

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by Bongo5HH

In fact I say maturity is wasted on the old!

Hey, hold it there -- just what are you implying? I'm old, and no one accuses me of being mature!

Comment

I'm old, and no one accuses me of being mature!
                  Then you are not old just well used
                  HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Need to check my hearing aids...thought they were saying I was 'bold' !

Comment

BTW,

Anyone know of a webcam app that would help me check the embedded cam on this Dell laptop?

I have never used Skype. Does Skype have a video component, to allow a a visual to go along with the audio communication.

God Bless
                      Doug

Comment

I'd be complaining to your mum or dad about that hat they make you wear!!
                        I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

that was a FEW years ago!

Comment

I was already to defend it!

On one machine, it was a flawless install. On another machine, I can't get kde4 to log in, but kde3 does. I posted a few times elsewhere, several looks but no replies. I think it has something to do with some kde4 setting that does not like the screen or xgl or glx or something. I don't know exactly what those two things are.

However, I will say this, everything, and I do mean everything works otherwise. On my athlon XP 3200 board with an aging ati 7200, it not only works, but compiz even loads. KDE4 works well on that machine with the extra desktop effect enabled (except for translucency which slows the machine down to nothing).

Kubuntu/ubuntu seems to improve with age and makes leaps and bounds from distro to distro.

Comment

I have to agree with the comments above. This is terrible. Terribly good. I'm a late adopter compared to some of you guys but evrything works. Digicam, which I've not attempted to use for the last 2 upgrades, not only detects my phone camera but will also download and manipulate images with no issues. Gwenview this time round also is not crashing when being closed. All in all, great effort from the developers and big thanks. IMO the released version is destined to be the best (K)Ubuntu distro ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X