This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone else using KDE4 full time?

Not sure how knowlegable you are, but did you look at your /etc/fstab entry for that drive? There should be an 'auto' in the options section of the line. If you have a folder for the drive in /media but can't do anything other than read, so a sudo chmod 777 /media/hdax (or sdax) where x is the drive number assigned. If a folder doesn't exist for that drive, do a sudo mkdir /media/"name you want" and make sure that is the mount point in fstab. Then sudo chmod 777 /media/"folder"

Originally posted by Bongo5HH
    I run KDE4 full time, with one slight exception. I have to use the KDE3 version of Dolphin to reach my second internal HDD. Something about system policies don't allow for automatic mounting of internal drives.

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by maestrobwh1
      Not sure how knowlegable you are, but did you look at your /etc/fstab entry for that drive? There should be an 'auto' in the options section of the line. If you have a folder for the drive in /media but can't do anything other than read, so a sudo chmod 777 /media/hdax (or sdax) where x is the drive number assigned. If a folder doesn't exist for that drive, do a sudo mkdir /media/"name you want" and make sure that is the mount point in fstab. Then sudo chmod 777 /media/"folder"

Originally posted by Bongo5HH
      I run KDE4 full time, with one slight exception. I have to use the KDE3 version of Dolphin to reach my second internal HDD. Something about system policies don't allow for automatic mounting of internal drives.

Kev
      I've been playing with my fstab a lot.. but what I didn't know was the three letter drive id's keep changing - especially when you unplug your drives as I have to do sometimes. So I needed to use the UUID to mount the drive.

The fix I reached with much help can be found here UUID=2a3b71d4-7362-4b00-bc95-227d8aab516b /slimmy ext3 defaults 0 0

Comment

I am. I find that it is less "toy like" than kde 3.5. The Oxygen theme and icons look very "professional" along with the taskbar. The widget thing is hard getting used to, but looks slick.

It isn't Vista-ish at all. If anything, it is a bit Mac-ish, but it really has a look unto itself.

I have always been a fan of KDE over other window managers.

There was some comment regarding the kmenu and I do agree that it is more cumbersome than the original menu, however; there is an option under widgets to put another kmenu on your taskbar that is more classic.

One comment, on the new kmenu, one is supposed to be able to right click it and change the amount of items that show, and I change this from 10 to 15, and there is no change even after logging back in. On logging back in, if I do the same thing, the setting is back to 10. I would like it to be "taller" as I have a large enough screen for this.

Comment

maestrobwh1: If you want the new kmenu taller, open it up and drag the top right hand corner (it has dark bands on it to show that it's grippable). That allows you to make the menu as big as you want...

...I missed this at first too, and it makes all the difference. The default is much too small imo.

Comment

Yeah! Funny how I missed that but I tried to grab the edges of the menu once and I didn't see a change in the cursor, so I figured that would not work.

Comment

Yeah, I thought the same thing,...
              The answers are out there...

Comment

Finally the upgrade Kwin deserves. Simple, good composite effects that integrates well with the desktop. It's already quite good if want composite effects but don't need the full bling of compiz/compiz-fusion.

Comment

What I really like (took me to find this by accident) is the quick-switching using the mouse in the top left corner. With composite effects on, and two (or more) apps open, push your mouse to the top left corner of the screen. You get a display of all currently open windows you can switch by clicking.

As I said, found it by accident, but really useful when multiple windows open and you don'y want to let go of the mouse. The taskbar becomes less and less useful by the minute

Comment

Nice find!

Kev

Comment

Ahhh, I missed that effect (expe) with compiz on my kde 3 install... I am glad that someone was smart enough to incorporate such a useful effect.

Comment

There is also another Effect, that lays out your Desktop in a grid, similar to the "Expo" effect in Compiz (Meta+E).

1 2
                        3 4

I still haven't gotten it to work right,...
                        The answers are out there...

Comment

Ctrl-F8 is the default shortcut for that one. It's called the Desktop Grid.

Comment

I've been using KDE 4 and yeah, I completely love it, no problems yet, and it's gorgeous.

Comment

Completely on KDE4. Took some getting use to on the Desktop behavior and the new KMenu, but it's all flowing real good for me now. Yea, I'm loving KDE4. No real big issues, just minor display annoyances.

Comment

Originally posted by MatheoDJ
                                As cool looking and great as it is, right now KDE4 feels like Vista to compared to KDE3's XP - awesome looking but not ready for prime time, difficult to use and not yet user friendly.

Still, I'm not gonna switch back.
                                I can't any longer be bothered waiting for this type of thing. After following the linux distro's for years, more then a decade now (mainly Debian after a rough start) I'm getting worn out dealing with issues that are always going to be solved in the future. Having reached a certain level of weariness I just want something that works and is reasonably integrated. KDE 3.5.9 seems to be it. Can't see any major missing bits and the integration is lovely.

I can't possibly imagine the KDE folks dropping support for kde 3.x any time soon, if they do what does this really say about the new reality? Shiney is better than functional?

Don't get me wrong, new and fabulous stuff is worth pursuing. I was really impressed with KDE4, but its so broken with even basic functionality missing. By v4.5 it will almost certainly be something really special. You've got to pursue function parity before taking something like this seriously surely?

Moopere

Comment

Working...
                                X