This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emacs V.S. vi

vim/gvim users please vote for vi, not Other.
    Emacs
    0%
    vi
    0%
    Other/no prefenence
    0%
    LINUX. IT'S SO EASY, EVEN A PENGUIN CAN DO IT.

Re: Emacs V.S. vi

Trying to stir up the pot a little :P

Vi for the win!
    The answers are out there...

Comment

I installed emacs one day. After several hours and half a bottle of brandy I decided Kate works fine for this old man. Maybe I'll pick up another bottle of brandy and try vi. :P
      I'll let ya know.
      Ken.
      Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

Uhhh...OK...Ya.. I get it. It's a joke, and I fell for it!
        You guys just want to see who is dumb enough to try one or both of them!
        Ha ha ha! Good one! Ya got me good!

I would have to vote for emacs because it has the emacs psychiatrist.
        Or I would have to vote for which one I hate the most. Hmm. Have to think about that one.

LOL Ken.
        Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

I've never bothered to learn either - I prefer nano.

Comment

I still don't understand why any of them is better or faster than Kate or Notepad.

I do use nano for command-line editing (quick sources.list/xorg.conf/whatever changes), and for fixing stuff on my girlfriend's computer over ssh. Isn't it the only one installed by default in Kubuntu?
            The Nomad's Land - some Linux humor too

Comment

No, vim (Vi IMproved.) is also installed. Although, I have never gotten it to work worth editing a *.bat file.
              The answers are out there...

Comment

Originally posted by Nomad
                I still don't understand why any of them is better or faster than Kate or Notepad.
                For one example, deleting 23 words forward is quite a bit faster by typing d23w (in vim command mode) than by moving your hand to the mouse, selecting the words and deleting.

Comment

Another vote for vi/vim/gvim.

I work with several different flavours of UNIX/Linux at work. vi is the only editor that's installed on all those systems by default. It is a very convenient editor, too, in that you can do everything you want by standard keys only - no need to extend your finger to the arrow keys or Home/Delete/Insert/PgUp/PgDown. It may take a bit of time to learn how to use vi, but once you're used to it, there's just no other editor for you.

I agree that kate is a fine editor. If only it had a vi plugin so I can use the vi commands on it.
                  Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
                  Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Comment

I think the best feature of Kate is the vertical list of open files. For those of us who like to open a whole pile of them at once, it's perfect.

However, Vim will always win when it comes to sheer number of features.

I guess it's kind of like the difference between a can opener and a laser cannon. Both can open the beans, but only one can blow up the Cylons too. (I believe the command in vi is :%zap )
                    Jamendo | Wordpress | Dandelife | ccMixter | Csound

Comment

[img width=400 height=219]http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/real_programmers.png[/img]
                      The Nomad's Land - some Linux humor too

Comment

Working...
                      X