X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A graphical representation of an OS

Hi all,

besides being a Kubuntu newbie I am also a computer newbie ( Kubuntu got me interested in technology, switched the dolls for a laptop, LOL).

I was wondering if it were possible to find a graphic representation of how a computer works - I think I figured out the hardware part, but I am a little confused with software. In other words, I don't really understand what kernel, OS and graphic environment are and which I am dealing with while using Kubuntu.
    I did a lot of Google and Wiki research and I only got these very complicated sites that offer little or nothing at all to a computer idiot ( or I have to check every third word in a dictionary).
    I know learning about computers is a long process which requires a lot of self-iniciative, I'm just hoping for some guidelines.

If anyone knows a site that might help me expand my knowledge, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Ana
    I break it, therefore I learn it.<br />

Re: A graphical representation of an OS

Hi Ana,

I don't have a site for you. Just wanted to let you know your not alone in not understanding some of the terms you listed. Heck I have been using computers since I was 11 and I'm a victim of the main stream OS in letting them take my control away. So I'm in a "relearn" stage. There was a time in DOS there wasn't a whole lot I couldn't do. But once they made there OS more "user friendly" and for the most part took DOS commands away I let them program me to the point I was blinded by what was going on. Not that it matters really, just mostly wanted you know your not alone LOL.

I do think when you say "graphic environment" it is talking about the desktop software that loads for you. KDE 3.5 I would guess. I'm not sure how many different ones are out there but I know KDE and Gnome are two I hear a lot about. From my limited understanding you don't have to have a "desktop" in the normal since like we are use too. You can run from the command line and make programs run and work. Just no point and click. But again not 100% on this, just a guess.

Hope it helps,
    James

Comment

Ana,

basic are the kernel talks to the hardware, the os - utilities talk to the kernel the user interface talks to the user and the os.

I don't have a diagram of the specifics. But I will look for one for you!

Mark

Comment

Once again,

thanks for the support. James, any kind of reassuring reply is as good as a thousand sites, and Mark, that's exactly the kind of approach I was looking for.

Once I move to the next stage I'm going to compile all my findings, create a manual and post it in the newbie section. 8)

Any support will be gratefully accepted.

Bye

Comment

I just found a very good Konsole guide from Qqmike and will post the link here in case somebody in need roams to this topic.

Qqmike, hope you don't mind.

Comment

Dear Ana, I haven't seen a real graphical presentation yet but you can look at it like an onion.
            The outer layer being the User, the second being the app. the third being the gui/desktop, the forth to 12 th being the different shells and the center being the kernel.
            At least this applies to Linux and is why it is so stable.
            A user can crash an app and maybe the gui/desktop but hardly ever the kernel which controls the hardware.

Cheers
            Fintan
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

"Qqmike, hope you don't mind."

Nope, don't mind at all. As one of the mods said recently, "Freedom rules" here.

That brief intro to Konsole is fairly, well, brief. Posters are limited to 20,000 characters there, which sounds like a lot, but when writing text, it isn't at all. So writers have to make trade-offs.

Glad you noticed it, thanks for the note.

Edit added:
              btw, Linuxgirl, I think you have a very good idea and hope you'll continue to work on it. It'll take some work on your part, but it will be fun, interesting, and worthwhile. I know we'd all be interested in seeing your work-in-progress and/or finished product(s).
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
              X