This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu success

I thought I might share this little story with you about my first kubuntu install.
    By no means would I consider myself a novice to *NIX environments and I would say 99% of the time I am living in a BASH shell.
    A few weeks ago a friend of mine who is an amateur photographer brought over this old DELL P3 600 with 128RAM and asked me if I could install XP and Photoshop on the box. After taking a look at the box I told her it wasn’t worth putting M$ and Photoshop and after she saw the price on what XP and Photoshop cost at a wholesale price it still wasn’t a cost effective solution.

I told her to leave it with me and maybe I could do something with it for her to use. After asking her a few questions I found out all she need to do with the PC was browse the internet and edit photos.... Hmmm, linux does this well.
    So I scrounged up another 256MB of RAM for the box and now it was loaded with a whopping 384MB (I haven’t played with anything less than 512 in years). On blind faith and curiosity since ubuntu has been one of the few distros I have yet to install and play with I decided kubuntu was the ticket, KDE was the best choice for taking a windows user and slamming them into a Linux Desktop.

The install was a breeze, I made a the swap partition a little bigger just for gits and shiggles. I set up the user installed GIMP & Firefox, (btw nice job on the package manager... I love it), tweaked out KDE a bit, and ran an update. Wow, done and looks great.

So I call her up and tell her to bring her camera so I can configure it to the PC ( I laugh at this now).  She comes over I plug her Canon Rebel into the USB and what do I see.... A Canon Rebel EOS and a icon on the desktop for the camera

I gave her a brief tutorial on GIMP booked marked a few GIMP sites for her, showed her around the desktop and guess what? She loves it and is having not one issue making the transition from M$ to Kubuntu. 
    Last but not least, that little box can chomp down a filter on a 5MB photo FASTER than my wife's XP box with Photoshop on it. We did the side by side and again 

Re: kubuntu success

Scarry how bloated M$$$$$$$ i$

Comment

Best part--she saved money.
      Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Awesome success story!! And you did something that I like to see - actually find out what the computer is used for before recommending anything! I can't stand people who blindly recommend linux to everyone they can talk to about it. It is NOT for everyone. Not so long as they have even ONE Windows app they can't get by without and can't find a suitable replacement for in linux.

It's amazing the stories of older systems brought to new life by a linux install. And even at 384MB, XP would make that thing grind to a halt regularly. Heck, 512MB is barely passable. Imagine what Visa ... uh ... Vista will take to run smoothly ... even in Basic mode. Scary.

Comment

I would like to hear more success stories like this.

Comment

Working...
          X