Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommend a good HF transceiver for SOTA?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend a good HF transceiver for SOTA?

OK this is a bit of an off-topic question for a kubuntu forum, but I know there's at least one other ham around.

What do people suggest as a good HF transceiver for SOTA (summits on the air) operation. I'm after lightweight, reasonably robust, good output power (at least 50W), and low power consumption on receive. And it needs to be able to transmit on 60m. Having looked around it seems Yaesu are the main company making compact mobile rigs. The FT-857 seems like the choice from the current range, with the FT-100 as a nice second-hand choice - but does that do 60m?

Self-building might be an alternative option; does anyone know of a good design? 60m band only would be just fine, but it needs to be voice since I don't know Morse.

BTW, my callsign's M0FFX, and the SOTA activations are planned for the 3rd week of April, some summits in Snowdonia.
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.
Working...
X