This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE wins again

OK, a few weeks ago, I switched over to Kubuntu. I'd never tried KDE, except in passing with an old install of Fedora Core.

Well, when I switched to Ubuntu, I test drove KDE, and found I really liked it. See, I'm a musician -- when I have the time. I work a day job, of course, and when I come home, I like to have as much time to play music as possible.

KDE definitely improved my life -- so many things I used to configure by hand, or set up via command line, are accomplished either automatically or with a right-click in the right-place.

I liked it enough I took another big leap and installed it on my wife's computer.

Uh oh.

I think she likes it even better than I do.

I'm not sure if Windows has even been booted in the past few days. She's in there right now, streaming some TV series, but mainly playing KFoulEggs.

Actually, she's been playing for most of the day.

Um, not to start worrying in the reverse direction here, but . . . isn't she supposed to be working on her Ph.D. thesis ? :-/

Who knew?

Advice welcome. Maybe a new package called KStopGoofingNow ? KBackToWork ? KWhatsUpWithThat ?

And maybe share your Tales of KDE Adventure, while you're at it.
    Jamendo | Wordpress | Dandelife | ccMixter | Csound

Re: KDE wins again

lol, you could probably set something up in Kalarm

My wife plays Shisen-sho, and Ksirtet for hours at a time, she misses them at work (WinXP)

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
      you could probably set something up in Kalarm
      I found the perfect package . . . with the perfect name . . . .

KDoomsday

Comment

How's about this: Configure cron (when the wife is away) to, at a set time after she's logged on, display a full screen image of the Windoze blue screen of death?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          How's about this: Configure cron (when the wife is away) to, at a set time after she's logged on, display a full screen image of the Windoze blue screen of death?
          Ah, there's no place like home! That bit ought to be part of wine for that Genuine Windows(R)(TM)(E=mc2) feeling.

Comment

Yeah, I find KDE so much better than GNOME, at least in most distro's default setups. I don't understand why so many of the big name distros (Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora) favour GNOME.
            I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Working...
            X