X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GParted Live CD Dead?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm .....

Warning: Booting from an ext4 partition is not 'officially' supported by GRUB, and GRUB2 is still under development. While GRUB does currently work, the 'safe' option is to boot from an ext2 or ext3 /boot partition. CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED!
    I wonder how one should interpret this?

"It works, but it might not."

I guess my plan to install 9.04 on an ext4 partition might provide a "character-building" experience!

Comment

Well, for me it was a no brainer to go ext4 'cos I got myself a shiny brand new super fast bread baking, brain mashing 64 bit system with 4GB RAM. So either a new install or rebuilding my 686 kernel to cope with the extra RAM.

However, I had converted my multimedia partition to ext4 before and been mounting everything as ext4 for some time. With a new install I got myself an ext4 / now as well.

Fair point re the grub but I believe that the ubuntu grub has been patched already. Perhaps the Ubuntu forum knows more...

Whatever, I don't think that online defragmentation has been implemented yet so unless you are some kind of heavy duty super user I don't see any gain in performance either way. Certainly hasn't made a difference to my multimedia partition (but I didn't check properly either).
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad
        Well, for me it was a no brainer to go ext4 'cos I got myself a shiny brand new super fast bread baking, brain mashing 64 bit system with 4GB RAM. So either a new install or rebuilding my 686 kernel to cope with the extra RAM.
        Nice!

So, you installed the OS on an ext4 partition with no separate /boot partition?

Comment

Yep. But not Kubuntu - again, I'd check on that first
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Nice system there! Yep, I'll look into it further before diving. I like breaking things, but not that much!

Comment

Did I mention that it brews beer as well?

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise

I like breaking things, but not that much!
                I don't mind breaking it in the first 30 minutes after installing. It's the breakage after a month of use that really hurts!

I'm planning a total rip-up and redo on my big desktop system, timed to align with the 9.04 Beta release next month. A new 1T hard drive going in, 3 smaller hard drives coming out (including the one that has Kubuntu and Grub on it), lots of reconfiguring and moving data, ending with a new installation of 9.04, on an ext4 partition. I hope to preserve my sidux installation which is on one of the two hard drives that will stay in the box.

So yes, I'm anticipating some breakage.

Comment

Hey, that sounds fun You keeping your vmware installs? How much are you actually getting rid of? You going for a grub partition? You staying loyal to compiz or moving over to kwin? Well, keep us posted if you feel like it

Comment

Yep, I'm keeping both my VMware Player installations -- basically I have 2 completely redundant Linux and VMware installations dual booting on a big desktop system, for security, one Kubuntu and one sidux. For the new Kubuntu installation, I hope to just copy the Win XP vmdk file (7.5G) off onto external storage, then put it back on to the new system's VMware Player and proceed. Worst case, I can always pull out my Win XP CD and reinstall the whole deal, but maybe I'll be able to skip that. I like Compiz -- it's very comfortable, and works great, and I like my blood red Emerald window titles too.

My sidux system, and also my swap space, is on a fast WD1500 drive, so that one is staying in the system, along with a WD7500 that is also fast and has all my video and music files on it.

I'm also upgrading my graphics card, thinking about a GTX285, but they're very pricey. I might settle for a 260. The 9500GT that I have now, and a WD1500 hard drive, are going into a computer I'm building for my granddaughter, who has a birthday in April.

So, lots of parts moving around.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                      I'm planning a total rip-up and redo on my big desktop system,...

So yes, I'm anticipating some breakage.
                      Can we all say Herr Doktor Frankendibl?
                      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I did that for 8.10, but I will redo the system with the release of 9.04. At least I have a separate Home part now, so it makes it easy to redo the OS. I guess I can leave the Home part EXT3. I do expect breakage and don't mind if I have the resources avail to fix. I guess 30 min is a good time limit on breakage but yes a Month would be painful.

Comment

I do expect breakage and don't mind if I have the resources avail to fix.
                          Well said!

And Dibl, sounds like you go things well organised You must be slightly mad though to have dual boot systems on one virtual system I'd never even thought of such a creature

Comment

Originally posted by toad

You must be slightly mad though to have dual boot systems on one virtual system I'd never even thought of such a creature
                            Hah!

No, I don't think I explained it clearly. I have a dual boot system -- I can boot either Kubuntu or sidux from the Grub menu. In both Linux OSs, I have a VMware Player installed, and on VMware Player I run the same Windows XP virtual machine, which runs a proprietary genealogy database that holds about 13 years of sweaty work that I value a lot.

Yeah, OK, perhaps it is more than slightly mad ....

Comment

I recently found an interesting alternative partitioning toolkit:

http://partedmagic.com/

What intrigued me the most, when I used it the other day, was that it uses a "squashfs" filesystem which gets loaded entirely into memory -- after it boots and loads up, the CD tray pops out and you're done with the CD. From then on, the entire toolkit is running in memory. It works just fine, as far as I can tell -- all very intuitive, and reminiscent of GParted, except the "Apply" button is kind of hidden on the "Edit" menu.

Comment

Agreed, partedmagic is very nice and includes a proper file manager, a parted frontend and an editor (if my memory serves me well).

You can click and mount, look at files, change them, click and unmount, partition, the whole shebang - oh, and then there is the whole "run in RAM" gimmick to top it all

Comment

Working...
                                X