This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GParted Live CD Dead?

integr8e" "I'm curious as to how difficult it would be to create a Live CD with it."

Exactly my newest interest/question. One way to get a sense for it would be to

(1) ASK someone here! Or, failing feedback from that,

(2) Copy: have a look at the GParted Live CD files and booting and at other Live CDs (Super Grub Disk, etc.). It seems that most grab some Linux distribution/kernel and build around it. But is that necessary? One thing is that you would need to build it so it is easy to maintain and update.

I don't know the answer and haven't had time to dig into it, but it's interesting.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Re: GParted Live CD Dead? (SOLVED--Alive!)

GParted Live CD is alive and well --
      http://gparted.sourceforge.net/index.php

Go get it! Let's support this project.

Latest Version:
      gparted-live-stable
      http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=271779

It is this:
      11-28-2008 Release Name: 0.3.9-13
      GParted Live 0.3.9-13
      MD5SUMS
      dd63e0bf1c6b71add7e5b40656ec84c4 gparted-live-0.3.9-13.iso

]----- Brief test run of 0.3.9-13: Very nice.
      Automatic video configuring, or you can choose sudo Forcevideo or you can choose Manual X configuring. Mine went right through with Automatic (Intel 915 board, embedded GMA).
      New features for volume labels (Partition > Label).
      GParted > Show Features (= capability chart, a handy feature).
      GParted > Refresh Devices, worked nicely after plugging in a flash drive for detection.
      View > Device Information (handy)
      I tested the Screenshot, it works very well.
      Terminal (icon at top): you have access to root@debian:~# and the /root folder (where your Screenshot will be).
      After doing GParted > Quit, don't forget to remove your flash drive(s) (unless it is bootable and that's your choice).
      Exit (double-click the icon at top).
      Reboot.
      => The CD ejects nicely, promptly.
      No problems. Very nice.

Here's the history of GParted Live CD and how it was saved:
      GParted News
      http://gparted.sourceforge.net/news.php?alles=alles

Key events, saving the project (sic):

04 February 2008 : GParted 0.3.5
      This release is the first one from a new set of project maintainers (Laurent de Trogoff, and Curtis Gedak). *Many Thanks* go to Bart Hakvoort. Without Bart's work, there would be no GParted.
      See the Release Notes for more details.
      Curtis

28 january 2008 : Things are going on !
      After he created and maintained the GParted project, Bart (plors) lastely took the decision to let his project in other hands. Curtis and I are now working on the project. As C++ dev, Curtis should be able to update and upgrade GParted, from day to day, and I will do my best to give him help.
      Because we do not have full access to the svn.gnome at the moment, we decided to set the Gparted SVN in SF.
      Be happy : we should release 0.3.5 before a long time
      Larry

23 january 2008 : Good news for GPARTED !
      I am happy to announce you a new C++ dev has reached the Gparted team ! Curtis G. from Alberta (Canada), contacted me a couple of weeks to work on the project.
      After one year without any changes, we plane to enable some new features, like label creation, ext4 support, and maybe other tips. One of our goals will be to fix bugs too of course... The real work will begin in about two months or so. The official site may be unavialable during some days for technical reasons.
      If someone is interested by setting an offical livecd for gparted,
      we will consider any project. If nobody comes, no livecd comes neither.
      Larry

Where we left off in this thread:
      21 january 2008 : End of GParted-livecd !
      17 december 2007 : GParted-livecd 0.3.4-11 has been released !
      5 november 2007 : GParted-livecd 0.3.4-10 has been released !

Features (=> capabilities, filesystems)
      http://gparted.sourceforge.net/features.php

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks Q! Like the update. Actually downloading the Live version now.

Comment

Interesting -- I didn't realize it had such a near-death experience! I keep a GParted Live CD close by at all times -- a very useful tool. Mine is a few version old -- perhaps I'll give this new one a spin, just for fun.

Comment

@ MoonRise: Good man!

@ dibl: Yeah, most people probably didn't notice any glitches in its recent history. I had not really paid attention since the 0.3.4-11 version, as I had given up on any new releases for awhile. Looks like they picked it right back up in short order! All good news.

Comment

You might want to watch for the next version of GParted Live CD, 0.4.3 (which is still in testing, not listed yet as "stable").

=> support for ext4; new Help Manual; new man page.

GParted News:
              http://gparted.sourceforge.net/news.php

Latest versions:
              (in testing) See GParted 0.4.3: bug fixes to 0.4.2
              (in testing) See GParted 0.4.2: Many new changes with 0.4.2 --
              ext4 (requires some dependencies)
              other technical benefits

Importantly (new--available now):
              Application help manual
              New Linux man page
              => see Documentation page for all links:
              http://gparted.sourceforge.net/documentation.php

Downloads here:
              http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php
              Latest stable Live CD: gparted-live-0.4.1-2.iso
              MD5SUMS are in the Release Notes (see icon next to the download link)

WOW!
              I tested the "testing" version (above) on my Live GRUB flash drive, works great, AND -- get this -- when you exit out of the live session, you are explicitly prompted to "Remove the USB flash drive"!

Now THAT is service!

BTW, I built the flash drive my way, using the regular GParted Live version and using GRUB, not Syslinux, (see my how-to), -- not using the special GParted-USB version.

Since I mentioned it ....
              -- How To Make GRUB Thumb Drive
              http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081748.0
              (includes GParted Live)

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

@MoonRise: Yep!

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike

=> support for ext4; new Help Manual; new man page.

GParted News:
                    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/news.php
                    Cool -- thanks Mike! I'm getting itchy to give the ext4 filesystem a spin, with 9.04. Gonna throw a big 1T hardrive into my desktop rig, and make some ext4 partitions, and install 9.04 on one of them. So, I'm going to be customer for the new GParted CD.

Comment

GParted is REALLY, REALLY a great product and getting better all the time, imo.
                      Anybody out there bragging about supporting Linux with their cash -- put some into that project!

Comment

Can you convert an already EXT3 to an EXT4? I too am itching to give this a spin in 9.04, but I'd like all of my EXT3s to be EXT4.

Comment

Slightly dated, but due to your insatiable appetite for breaking things ....

EXPERIMENTAL: Convert your ext3 drives to ext4dev in Intrepid
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Can't help it!

Comment

Changing to ext4 is really very easy

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ext4
                              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I like that How To! But it does make you very weary! I think I'll wait for 9.04 and just redo my system. That will be easiest!

Comment

Working...
                                X