This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GParted Live CD Dead?

BTW, did ya'll know that GParted Live CD is officially not? And has not been (i.e., has been not) for some months now.

Thankfully, some good guys came on to support GParted, but no one yet to do the Live CD.
    Let's hope someone shows up to do the live cd, else it looks like -11 is the last (and I've already had a strange problem with it, and so now using -10).

imho, programs like GParted, K3b, Kaffeine, and such, really make Linux a cool experience, refreshingly so after breaking from Windows.

==>>> Pass the word to your programmer buds at other boards.

Check it out:
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/news.php

And news posted at the GParted forum, such as:
    http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=1142

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Re: GParted Live CD Dead?

... come to think about it,
    it will work as long as the maintainers of other live cd's keep including GParted in their products; e.g., the Ubuntu live CD, System Rescue, et al.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hmmmmm. Well, I'll hang on to my trusty -10 version CD, while crossing my fingers that the new team will take care of this excellent product. Thanks Mike.

Comment

Wow! I'm surprised at that! Hope they can find someone. I know it must be hard being a maintainer and also worry about other concerns.

Comment

I've spent some time revisiting other options and still doing so. Knoppix, while really cool in its own quirky way, does not include GParted (but rather QtParted & some other unknown). As for System Rescue CD, containing powerful programs like GParted, TestDisk, Partimage, and many more, who would trust such a thing if it won't boot your very standard and even boring up-to-date Pentium Intel (embedded graphics) machine into some X-GUI config? Not me. (How's that for subtlety?)

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike

(How's that for subtlety?)
            hah hah hahhh -- C'mon Mike, you gotta get out of that shell and tell us what you REALLY think!

Comment

I've never messed with it, nor do I know if it can be installed in Kubuntu, but I've heard some good things about DiskDrake (a Mandriva partitioning tool).
              Asus G1S-X3:
              Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

dibl: “hah hah hahhh -- C'mon Mike, you gotta get out of that shell and tell us what you REALLY think!”

Oh no you don't! I'm too clever for that one. No way you will drag me into slamming some p-o-s just because it didn't pass my eccentric tests (e.g., booting into a decent GUI).

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
                  dibl: “hah hah hahhh -- C'mon Mike, you gotta get out of that shell and tell us what you REALLY think!”

Oh no you don't! I'm too clever for that one. No way you will drag me into slamming some p-o-s just because it didn't pass my eccentric tests (e.g., booting into a decent GUI).

- Nudge...Nudge...

Comment

(Correction Knoppix * does * have GParted. I only looked at Knoppix 5.1.1, and it had GParted 0.2.5 -- rather old! -- The current GParted version is 0.3.4.5. But this is a Live CD option for running GParted. I find Knoppix a bit quirky to learn, but it seems to be all there. For example, GParted requires a root password. What root pw! After several minutes of dead-ends, I found it under K > Knoppix > Set password for root. The Help options were not helpful. But that's another issue, isn't it? Knoppix is one option for running GParted in a Live CD, and it runs in a KDE environment familiar to Kubuntu folks.

Puppy 2.17 -- Puppy has GParted on its Live CD and it's also easy to put Puppy on a flash drive. The version of GParted I see here is 0.3.3, fairly recent. So, here's another very good and fast option for running GParted on a Live CD or flash drive. Aside: I've got Puppy on a flash drive and am in it now (Mozilla SeaMonkey browser), and every time I use this OS I'm impressed with how neat it is. All for 50-100 MB.

Kubuntu 7.10 Live persistent on flash drive -- another option for running GParted on a Live medium. I tested the persistence: Using Adept Manager to get and install gparted, it becomes part of the K-menu (under System), re-boot to test, and it sticks just fine between re-boots. Thus, yet another option, and a good one, too, as you can fetch GParted updates to it using the familiar Adept Manager.

The point: There are plenty of products that carry with it GParted on a live medium.

Build a LIVE Kubuntu Flash Drive, How-To
                    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3089474.0
                    (scroll down thru for persistence)

How To: Make GRUB Thumb Drive
                    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081748.0
                    (see Reply #9 & 10 for Puppy on UFD, and other posts under the topic)

Comment

but I've heard some good things about DiskDrake (a Mandriva partitioning tool).
                      Diskdrake is a very good and powerfull tool but I am not sure it comes in a live version.

Gparted live will be sorrily missed especially for those that come here as a "newbe" (aren't we all?) and need advice on partitioning.
                      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Puppy 2.17 -- Puppy has GParted on its Live CD and it's also easy to put Puppy on a flash drive. The version of GParted I see here is 0.3.3, fairly recent. So, here's another very good and fast option for running GParted on a Live CD or flash drive. Aside: I've got Puppy on a flash drive and am in it now (Mozilla SeaMonkey browser), and every time I use this OS I'm impressed with how neat it is. All for 50-100 MB.
                        Actually I've been using Puppy for at least a year and a half on a mem stick. It was this little guy along with GParted that helped on a recent problem with my personal system. It saved me and my system. I also use it a work to recover crashed Windows systems.

Comment

Fintan: “Gparted live will be sorrily missed especially for those that come here as a "newbe" (aren't we all?) and need advice on partitioning.”

Exactly. That, in fact, was my original concern here: how to easily help new people get partitioned without GParted Live CD. I also use it a lot, but I can get by using, e.g., Puppy or other; but not so easy when we refer new folks to it, is it?

Moonrise: Yeah Puppy really is cool and has so many, many features and expansion possibilities (persistence, remastering, etc.). It does boot up very nicely and fast – probably as fast as or faster than GParted CD. A best use of Linux time--after tending to Kubuntu projects--would be to master Puppy (something I've not taken time to do yet). Time very well spent in terms of developing Linux-task capabilities.

Comment

The only real problem I've found with Puppy is it's SAMBA settings. Been working on that for a while. Other than that, it's a nice portable work tool (at least that is what I use it as :P)

I've actually tried doing that with Kubuntu, but Puppy was specifically designed to run rather well of a Mem Stick.

Comment

As a KDE, Gparted alternative, I think Disk Manager is worth mentioning (just make sure you have the kdelibs4-dev, libparted1.7-dev, libqt3-compat-headers, libhd13-dev, libhal-dev, dbus, and various FS libraries installed). I'm curious as to how difficult it would be to create a Live CD with it.

Edit: I've been messing around a little with Disk Manager, and I'm really beginning to like it. I've been performing resizing/formatting experiments on an external HD I have, and it seems to work quickly, and very well (plus it looks good). Pretty cool!!!
                              Asus G1S-X3:
                              Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Working...
                              X