This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Migrated from Debian

You are absolutely correct. Kubuntu "just works".

With Hardy, I plugged in printers, and within a few seconds could print pages - no long waits loading drivers.
    With Intrepid I recently plugged in a video projector for the first time to show a powerpoint presentation on openoffice that incidently didn't work on someone else's box running Windows, and it "just worked". All the other hardware ithat I've tried ncluding video card just works, (except for a GPRS USB device which depends on windows - tried under wine but failed).

My sound buttons, wireless, touchpad and everything just works with Kubuntu, very well.

Debian Etch worked but needed some tweaking but even Debian Lenny was still using Firefox 2 long after Firefox 3 was out - just one example. When something is stable, such as firefox 3, openoffice 3, then most users would expect it to be available and a distro will attract more users if it offers the latest working versions of the popular programs. Kubuntu does that. Debian allows you too but not as easily as Kubuntu.

Debian still has its uses as does Kubuntu. The internet cafe that I use is running Debian Potato and OOo 1.1 and it works well.
    HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

I too, have to say that (for me) Kubuntu "just works" as well. Sound was a minor issue, but not a function of Kubuntu - Toshiba runs a 'buggy' BIOS that is a known problem with sound in Linux - and I got the fixed with questions, searches and help from the Forums. My USB printer works. My 1440x900 wide-screen resolution works. My USB external HDs work. My wired and wireless works (I do use a Linksys Wireless-G Router).
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

In general, my experience running several Debian-based distributions in the past couple of years is that whatever challenges you have with Kubuntu will exist with other current distros as well. The exception to that being problems with very new packages, which may not happen on a distro that constrains package versions to an earlier branch of Debian, like Mepis for example.

For example, Kubuntu (well, lm-sensors, actually) won't read the fan speeds on my rig, and sidux won't either. They both gag on my Nvidia 9600GT video card, upon first installation (Mepis does too, btw). They both get confused by my combination of IDE and SATA drives, with regard to which MBR is the one where Grub is located, versus what the BIOS boot sequence says to do.

Comment

Working...
        X